BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

03-14-2018, 05:33 AM   #287
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
who's the idiot who reversed into a bush then
what's happened?

Did you turn off the PDC/Cameras? The view should have been a top down look when you got close to a bush...

Hope there was no damage (other than pride?)

Please don't tell me that it was using the auto park feature (still not used it believe it or not...just can't let go of control!)
      03-14-2018, 05:44 AM   #288
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
what's happened?

Did you turn off the PDC/Cameras? The view should have been a top down look when you got close to a bush...

Hope there was no damage (other than pride?)

Please don't tell me that it was using the auto park feature (still not used it believe it or not...just can't let go of control!)
No, it was using the cameras, and that's the problem. Sometimes I find I can get disoriented when using the cameras and often probably go to fast. This means the sensors don't have time to catch up with their beeps. I think thats what happened this time, the beeps didn't happen till I was on the bush basically. I don't know if that's a fault or not or because it was a sparse bush that it couldn't pick up properly.

There is the smallest amount of damage, as I hit one of the stalks of the bush. But I noticed that there was some paint blemishes on the bumper already, I think these were missed in the PDI because I asked them not to clean it. So it's going in on Friday to have a look at that. I think that the damage from the bush is light enough that the detailing will take care of it. It's also going back in as I think I have a faulty tweeter too.

Bit of a pain so far. Love the car though, just these little issues to get resolved.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 05:55 AM   #289
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No, it was using the cameras, and that's the problem. Sometimes I find I can get disoriented when using the cameras and often probably go to fast. This means the sensors don't have time to catch up with their beeps. I think thats what happened this time, the beeps didn't happen till I was on the bush basically. I don't know if that's a fault or not or because it was a sparse bush that it couldn't pick up properly.

There is the smallest amount of damage, as I hit one of the stalks of the bush. But I noticed that there was some paint blemishes on the bumper already, I think these were missed in the PDI because I asked them not to clean it. So it's going in on Friday to have a look at that. I think that the damage from the bush is light enough that the detailing will take care of it. It's also going back in as I think I have a faulty tweeter too.

Bit of a pain so far. Love the car though, just these little issues to get resolved.
Ah, I did find both my F01 and this G11 to be quite different with the PDC notifications (both visual and sound)...If you drive fast, it definitely has issues keeping up, so do need to be really quite slow indeed and then it works very well. I've hit a car with my old F01 because the PDC didn't work fast enough and just started as I hit...luckily still slow enough and no damage luckily, I did go find the owner (it was in front of a restaurant and we looked at it together) and apologised profusely, felt a right idiot. After that, I've always been very easy on the throttle and backed up very slowly so the system works great then.

Sorry to hear about the minor mark, as you say, hope they do sort that during the detailing. Shame about the tweeter...should be something they can sort quickly though, even if a swap needed. (shouldn't have happened and need sorting but there you are)

Getting on with it well otherwise? Was going to wait until the week was over but curious if you note anything else that is wildly different to your 6 or from your expectations (good or bad)...how is the wife liking it? (was she 'sold' on it anyway or are you having to 'sell' it to her still?)

Safe travels.
      03-14-2018, 06:08 AM   #290
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ah, I did find both my F01 and this G11 to be quite different with the PDC notifications (both visual and sound)...If you drive fast, it definitely has issues keeping up, so do need to be really quite slow indeed and then it works very well. I've hit a car with my old F01 because the PDC didn't work fast enough and just started as I hit...luckily still slow enough and no damage luckily, I did go find the owner (it was in front of a restaurant and we looked at it together) and apologised profusely, felt a right idiot. After that, I've always been very easy on the throttle and backed up very slowly so the system works great then.

Sorry to hear about the minor mark, as you say, hope they do sort that during the detailing. Shame about the tweeter...should be something they can sort quickly though, even if a swap needed. (shouldn't have happened and need sorting but there you are)

Getting on with it well otherwise? Was going to wait until the week was over but curious if you note anything else that is wildly different to your 6 or from your expectations (good or bad)...how is the wife liking it? (was she 'sold' on it anyway or are you having to 'sell' it to her still?)

Safe travels.

Yeah I'm disappointed in myself but I think I need to be careful with my speed reversing and learn to use the cameras better. I hope I can get it sorted but at the same time, it's not so bad to be obvious and I'm kind of glad to get that first "ding" out the way. Tweeter issue is annoying and shouldn't be an issue in a car this expensive but these things happen and as long as they sort it that's fine, and even if they didn't agree for any reason at all, I know I could change it myself for minimal costs.

So about the car, believe it or not I've not had much time for it this week! My wife has got the man flu that I had and as she's pregnant it hit her harder so she's only been for a brief drive in the car. She was sold on it before though, to be honest she doesn't really care about cars, as long as it's relatively comfy she couldn't care less what it is! She tries to care but she really can't! She just cares about the colour!

Having said that, she does like it and she told me she will be able to have some good naps in it!

For me, I love it. I spent the first few days being really uncomfortable in the lower back. I realised that I forgot about the shoulder adjustment which I also had in my 6, so that was preventing me from relaxing back into the seat. As soon as I adjusted it, it's now so comfortable.

I've only really driven it in comfort plus so far. Certainly there's a bit of roll but that's comparing it to a stiffly spring 6 so it's always going to be different.

It's very nice to drive, so easy and doesn't feel big at all. Looks big in parking spaces though! Love the tech, love it at night, love the self driving capabilities and used it in traffic the other day and that was great. I just wish it always moved off again without having to press the gas or the button on the wheel.

Overall, very happy. Got my motorway blast this weekend so will be able to give it a good run then
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 06:34 AM   #291
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah I'm disappointed in myself but I think I need to be careful with my speed reversing and learn to use the cameras better. I hope I can get it sorted but at the same time, it's not so bad to be obvious and I'm kind of glad to get that first "ding" out the way. Tweeter issue is annoying and shouldn't be an issue in a car this expensive but these things happen and as long as they sort it that's fine, and even if they didn't agree for any reason at all, I know I could change it myself for minimal costs.

So about the car, believe it or not I've not had much time for it this week! My wife has got the man flu that I had and as she's pregnant it hit her harder so she's only been for a brief drive in the car. She was sold on it before though, to be honest she doesn't really care about cars, as long as it's relatively comfy she couldn't care less what it is! She tries to care but she really can't! She just cares about the colour!

Having said that, she does like it and she told me she will be able to have some good naps in it!

For me, I love it. I spent the first few days being really uncomfortable in the lower back. I realised that I forgot about the shoulder adjustment which I also had in my 6, so that was preventing me from relaxing back into the seat. As soon as I adjusted it, it's now so comfortable.

I've only really driven it in comfort plus so far. Certainly there's a bit of roll but that's comparing it to a stiffly spring 6 so it's always going to be different.

It's very nice to drive, so easy and doesn't feel big at all. Looks big in parking spaces though! Love the tech, love it at night, love the self driving capabilities and used it in traffic the other day and that was great. I just wish it always moved off again without having to press the gas or the button on the wheel.

Overall, very happy. Got my motorway blast this weekend so will be able to give it a good run then
Yeah, although the surround view is great and does help quite a bit, I do find myself still very much doing a mix of looking at display, looking in mirrors and listening...and double checking the mirrors With time I'm sure you find the right speed and mix that suits you and will maximise the system to help you. Agree that if (and when) a mark is going to happen, best to do it yourself! Now that it is out of the way, hopefully you'll not get any (or very few) more...

Tweeter is annoying, music and sound is important to me when I drive, adds so much to the experience of the drive...so good sound important. Hope it gets sorted easily, without hassle and without causing other issues (rattles, etc...) Shouldn't happen but will be good test of the dealer in how they sort it for you. Definitely they'll sort it in this first 14 day period as you could still reject otherwise...best to get it done now for that reason.

Sorry to hear about the flu bug, it has been quite bad this year, hope you both get over it soon, can really suck the energy out of one and she'll need the energy for the pregnancy. Glad she is happy enough and enjoys the car, my wife hates mine (simply due to size, she won't drive it and would be happiest if I had a 320d Estate (a nice enough car but not a patch on the 7)...but only as she could then use it for any utilitarian jobs during the week or transporting her massive baritone sax around to band practises or gigs...not for any enjoyment. One of the few things that we are different in, generally we've got the same taste otherwise.

Ah, seat comfort, yes, definitely great seats, but indeed need to be adjusted for each person. I love the upper shoulder area being adjustable forwards or backwards compared to the rest of the seat, and the lumbar support that generally means you can get it just so. Glad you could get it sorted for you as very important to be sure.

Yeah, lots of body roll in comfort plus but it is lovely for urban driving (except the damn start stop cut out it enforces) and for motorway cruising, I tend to use it most myself, trying to see if adaptive can be better but generally still feel it makes more difference when I switch manually as I want. You may want to remember that if you need to zip out quickly in some traffic situations though, best to be in sport or at least comfort rather than comfort plus...that has a latency (lag) to the throttle so can be annoying in traffic or roundabouts when you want to nip in a gap...Sport is best for that (or maybe adaptive) in my experience, then switch back to comfort plus once traffic smooths out.

Glad you are enjoying the car and the various aspects, always great to hear it was the right choice for someone and that they are happy with that choice!

Agree about the ACC resume situation in traffic jams, tedious but I guess a safety feature to ensure you as the driver are taking consequences for the action if anything should happen to cause an accident...instead of just being automatic all the time (I do think it will be a good thing when in really bad gridlock and bikes are snaking through the traffic as they could be doing that exactly when the car would otherwise start forward...so likely these scenarios that require human interaction for safety mitigation on BMW's part. (it would be less an issue in the very brief stop as people and road users will have seen/known that the care was moving just a second ago so it may move again so that is why it can be still automatic compared to the longer stops...IMO)

Not sure how they could override that and still have some human 'agreement' that moving is okay...maybe a hand wave in gesture control or some other interaction that still is decision based but less hassle?

still, we 'princesses' do have to watch that we don't get calluses on our delicate fingers from having to strain ourselves with touching 'resume'...

I have tried to toggle the speed adjustment wheel for ACC as the 'resume' feature instead of the resume or accelerator and didn't find it worked for me...will have to try it again, not sure if one needs to 'push' in or simply toggle up/down for longer than I did...maybe tyzer can explain what he does to use that button?

Safe travels, look forward to seeing her in all her detailed glory when/if you get a chance!
      03-14-2018, 06:39 AM   #292
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Ah that really sucks hitting a bush. Those depending on how thick they are don't always set the parking sensors off so one to watch the cameras for I guess plus not too quick. Sure you'll get it fixed, someone ran a shopping trolley down the front of my M5 not long after had it. Was so mad but a detailer got it looking as if it was new, just lost a bit of depth on the paint on that part of the car but BMW lay it on reasonably thick which is good.

Bummer on the tweeter but don't see why you'd have to pay to sort it, it's in warranty. They should just replace it or maybe plug it in if the cable is loose. Just one of those things and one of the worries on a car like this is the complexity. It's got so many ECU's and cables there's a lot that could go wrong but at least with a warranty it should be safe.

Glad your enjoying the car and happy with it in general.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 06:42 AM   #293
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I don't have gesture control but wondering if you could use the customised gesture as a shortcut to 'resume'? Maybe worth trying to map that so you just wave and it goes again...(for ACC stops in traffic)...just a thought. Although, that could be dangerous if you did that and it resumed when you didn't want it to in some other situations where you have braked or taken ACC off...so maybe not such a good idea for those that may gesticulate quite a bit...(we've all indicated that someone in front of us is #1 in our books I think...sometimes more visible than others...)
      03-14-2018, 06:53 AM   #294
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't have gesture control but wondering if you could use the customised gesture as a shortcut to 'resume'? Maybe worth trying to map that so you just wave and it goes again...(for ACC stops in traffic)...just a thought. Although, that could be dangerous if you did that and it resumed when you didn't want it to in some other situations where you have braked or taken ACC off...so maybe not such a good idea for those that may gesticulate quite a bit...(we've all indicated that someone in front of us is #1 in our books I think...sometimes more visible than others...)
I don't think resume is in the option list for the gestures.

On the subject of gestures though, I actually find them a lot more useful than the reviews that just call it a gimmick. Especially the change track one, not so much the volume.

The gesture to look around the car in 3d view is pretty good too
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2018, 06:54 AM   #295
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Don't have mine yet but pretty sure that won't be possible. Gesture control only controls items on the Nav / Entertainment part of iDrive. It's not connected to other parts of the car.

In fairness the pressing of a button or the pedal is needed for safety to check you've not dozed off. Your still responsible for the car as the driver so you can imagine it might be a little unsafe. I generally just use the resume button on the steering wheel vs the pedal when I've had that in the past. It's not a big deal and compared to everything the car is already doing for us it's slimmed it down to a small interaction in the scheme of things.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2018, 06:52 PM   #296
tyzer
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 730d M-Sport Carbon Black

damn! sorry to hear about your mishap. When the dealer dropped mine off at the house because I had been throwing up for 6 hours, I went for a quick 10 min drive with the dealer and genius guy. When I got back to the house I tried to park the car and managed to curb the front wheel, so didn't even have the car 20 mins!!

In terms of the resume ACC, I use a solid click forward on the black rocker on the left of the steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 03:25 AM   #297
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyzer View Post
damn! sorry to hear about your mishap. When the dealer dropped mine off at the house because I had been throwing up for 6 hours, I went for a quick 10 min drive with the dealer and genius guy. When I got back to the house I tried to park the car and managed to curb the front wheel, so didn't even have the car 20 mins!!

In terms of the resume ACC, I use a solid click forward on the black rocker on the left of the steering wheel
argh, that must have been frustrating...'touches wood' I have not curbed the alloys yet, nor, to the best of my knowledge put a scratch/ding on the car...doomed now of course for typing this...feeling 'god' like!

Thanks for the clarification for 'resume' of ACC using the speed toggle switch. I thought that might be the case, will try that next time. (cue: Gansta Priness flying off at a rate of knots into the back of some Aston in the New Forest' to get back at me for my above 'unblemished' statement... )

plenty of small rock chips on the front of the bonnet/front surfaces due to use mind you, just none yet from me....
      03-15-2018, 05:16 AM   #298
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Probably best to ask this in this thread but charging the display key. I've an iPhone that has wireless charging so makes sense to charge that wirelessly in the car at least when I need to but that means the key doesn't get charged.

Do any of you charge the key in the car with a wireless charging pad say? I've got one for my iPhone but thinking I might get another to rest my display key on. I do sometimes go a couple of weeks without driving so not sure how long it'll last if you don't use it at all either.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 05:19 AM   #299
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
Probably best to ask this in this thread but charging the display key. I've an iPhone that has wireless charging so makes sense to charge that wirelessly in the car at least when I need to but that means the key doesn't get charged.

Do any of you charge the key in the car with a wireless charging pad say? I've got one for my iPhone but thinking I might get another to rest my display key on. I do sometimes go a couple of weeks without driving so not sure how long it'll last if you don't use it at all either.
I've been using the pocket for my phone only. I put my key on a wireless pad when im at home to keep it charged, but I don't know how long it will last without charging
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 05:27 AM   #300
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post

I only charge in the car, don't bother doing it otherwise, but I do tend to drive the car once a week at least...I did go about 10 days without driving and it was showing some drain on the battery in the display key but still had about 2/3 left...that is on a key that is 20 months old as a data point.

Wouldn't want to leave it three weeks without being able to check it once in a while (at home for example, not on holiday)...but I'd suggest it probably can handle 3 weeks without issue, not much longer though and not done this myself yet.

Charging on a wireless pad should be fine, haven't done that or tried it yet...outside of the car...the key would only draw the energy it needs so as long as the pad is suitable for your iPhone it should work no problem for the display key. I don't charge it at all during the week at home, just put it in when I drive to the office each Monday and that is probably still too often to be honest...it is fully charged in about 20-30 minutes easily as well (maybe earlier but I just give it that long and then swap out the key and phone in the car when doing my 2 hour commute.

I will say, that I don't use the key at all, I simply have it on me and do check it after I am walking away from the car to ensure it is locked and says so but otherwise, never use it...so YMMV if you use it lock/unlock check all the time after that first week of 'playing'

Hope this helps, if you do use it with a wireless pad to charge at home let us know how you get on.
      03-15-2018, 05:34 AM   #301
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Good to hear the wireless pads work 325_bucks. ^

Curious how often/how long tyzer has gone without charging and how the battery is holding up in his as another data point from having the car a bit longer?
      03-15-2018, 05:36 AM   #302
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

incidentally, I purchased a leather key case for the key from amazon, to allow me to put it on my key ring, it works and it's not too bulky but the case I bought is not the best. I've now purchased an official one from BMW on eBay that looks similar but seems to be fitted a bit better, waiting for it to arrive
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 06:37 AM   #303
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Well my plan is to have it available for remotely driving the car out of the garage so it'll need to be charged because cannot do that any other way than with the display key. I'll likely get another wireless pad I think.

Definitely want a case for it. Not sure though the official BMW one lets you put it on a key ring or not?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 06:39 AM   #304
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

No not that one, this one is different

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-DISPL....c100675.m4236

I've not seen it anywhere else before but I've been assured its official and it has a BMW part number. My dealer where I get my BMW parts from usually at a discount, said the part number is valid but not showing as available yet. I dont know how this dealer on eBay has them but they do and mine has been dispatched, so we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 07:33 AM   #305
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No not that one, this one is different

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-DISPL....c100675.m4236

I've not seen it anywhere else before but I've been assured its official and it has a BMW part number. My dealer where I get my BMW parts from usually at a discount, said the part number is valid but not showing as available yet. I dont know how this dealer on eBay has them but they do and mine has been dispatched, so we'll see.
Ah let us know what it's like, that looks like the kind of thing I'd want so it's protected, can use a key ring but also use the key without taking it out of the case.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 10:09 AM   #306
tyzer
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 730d M-Sport Carbon Black

Looks like the lane change assist and 3d remote view on connected drive was release in spring 2017, I guess I lose out ;-(

BMW 7 Series with additional driver assistance systems and Remote 3D View.
From the spring of 2017, there will be an even broader choice of driver assistance systems to ensure even greater driving pleasure, comfort and safety in 7 Series models. From March 2017, the systems will be included in the optional equipment package Driving Assistant Plus. They offer the driver effective assistance in many different situations, leading the way to automated driving. For example, the Steering and Lane Guidance Assistant being presented in the luxury sedans for the first time will be complemented by the Lane Change Assistant, which can be used when driving on motorways and other roads with separated directional carriageways. At speeds of between 70 and 180 km/h, the driver can initiate a lane change by holding the indicator lever in the one-touch position. The system sensors then analyse the situation on the neighbouring carriageway. If they detect that this lane is clear and there are no vehicles approaching at a high speed, the steering assistant conveniently helps the driver to change lanes.

A further addition to the range of Driving Assistant Plus functions is the ActiveAssist Collision Avoidance system. Should a rapid lane change become necessary in order to avoid a suddenly appearing obstacle, it provides steering assistance at speeds of up to 160 km/h. The Cross Traffic Alert function, also included in the equipment package as from March, provides visual and acoustic signals if the traffic signs identified by the stereo camera should indicate that the driver has overlooked a road with right of way. The new Driving Assistant Plus features are complemented by the Wrong-Way Driving Alert feature. This system analyses navigation data in order to provide information on hazardous situations. It intervenes when the vehicle is driving in the wrong direction into one-way streets, roundabouts or motorway entrances.

In conjunction with the Surround View system, a feature that provides assistance with a combination of camera images taken from several different perspectives when the vehicle is manoeuvring in tricky situations, drivers of a BMW 7 Series will in future also have access to the Remote 3D View feature, the Surround View system of which provides them with permanent access to a three-dimensional live image of their vehicle and its surroundings, this being transmitted to their smartphone via the BMW Connected feature.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #307
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Looks like the lane change assist and 3d remote view on connected drive was release in spring 2017, I guess I lose out ;-(

From the spring of 2017, there will be an even broader choice of driver assistance systems to ensure even greater driving pleasure, comfort and safety in 7 Series models. From March 2017, the systems will be included in the optional equipment package Driving Assistant Plus. They offer the driver effective assistance in many different situations, leading the way to automated driving. For example, the Steering and Lane Guidance Assistant being presented in the luxury sedans for the first time will be complemented by the Lane Change Assistant, which can be used when driving on motorways and other roads with separated directional carriageways. At speeds of between 70 and 180 km/h, the driver can initiate a lane change by holding the indicator lever in the one-touch position. The system sensors then analyse the situation on the neighbouring carriageway. If they detect that this lane is clear and there are no vehicles approaching at a high speed, the steering assistant conveniently helps the driver to change lanes.

A further addition to the range of Driving Assistant Plus functions is the ActiveAssist Collision Avoidance system. Should a rapid lane change become necessary in order to avoid a suddenly appearing obstacle, it provides steering assistance at speeds of up to 160 km/h. The Cross Traffic Alert function, also included in the equipment package as from March, provides visual and acoustic signals if the traffic signs identified by the stereo camera should indicate that the driver has overlooked a road with right of way. The new Driving Assistant Plus features are complemented by the Wrong-Way Driving Alert feature. This system analyses navigation data in order to provide information on hazardous situations. It intervenes when the vehicle is driving in the wrong direction into one-way streets, roundabouts or motorway entrances.

In conjunction with the Surround View system, a feature that provides assistance with a combination of camera images taken from several different perspectives when the vehicle is manoeuvring in tricky situations, drivers of a BMW 7 Series will in future also have access to the Remote 3D View feature, the Surround View system of which provides them with permanent access to a three-dimensional live image of their vehicle and its surroundings, this being transmitted to their smartphone via the BMW Connected feature.
Ah, penny has dropped (for me)...it seems we are both missing out on these features then...good that they continue to improve the autonomous features and add to it, likely could be done by firmware update when serviced too if they wanted to...but hey that is life I guess. Interesting, I do notice that when I indicate with the lane assist on, it does move to the next lane and steer but this must just be noticing that I want to go there rather than doing all the checks it now does...that is an improvement.

You're not alone then tyzer, we're both in the 'obsolete' club it seems

-wiper stalk change
-ID6
-these autonomous modes changes/additions

Other features that are different? (he says, not really wanting to know!)
      03-15-2018, 10:20 AM   #308
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Yeah sorry to rub it in but this is very cool! I just rendered this sitting at my desk with my car on the driveway, 360 degree view on my phone that you can interact with.

[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0