BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #67
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Someone mentioned this earlier in the thread, but going back on topic...

Apple products are "smoother" because they force you into a controlled environment. PCs or Android phones are "clunky" because they have to conform to a million other hardware suppliers. It is so much more difficult to write software that caters to the variety of hardware that's out there (ever look at the list of printer drivers Windows ships with?).

Having said that, I'm a PC guy but I have an iPhone just because of simplicity. I know many developers (I used to be one) that prefer the iPhone because they accept "playing it Apple's sandbox world". If you can give up certain customization's in favor of a "smoother" UI (unless you jailbreak), then go with Apple. If you want full control of your phone and endless customization's, get an Android phone.

It's similar to our M2 cars. When you leave the car as is (kind of like an iPhone), you are basically putting faith in BMW that the performance and reliability is predictable and that's why BMW gives a warranty. The product is a "controlled" environment that the company vigorously tested against. Customization is still available (moving your seats, what displays you want to show, etc), but largely you are left with decisions BMW wants you to change.

Many of us (maybe all on this forum?) mod the car from just tint or full blown race setup. But the more you change, the more you void the respective warranty on the parts. You will understand and know the car from a technical perspective. For some, that is enjoyment in itself. For others, like me, my car modding days are practically over - I'm good with (most of) the stock package.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 02:51 PM   #68
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
I think for a phone, functioning in Apple's iPhone world is sufficient for 95% of consumers. Clearly they don't hold that market share, but lots of people don't by apple due to price, others due to perceived conformity, others just just out of contempt. But few users really need to be able to customize their OS in a way that is actually more efficient for their needs.
THat's not my issue though, it's Apple's data management that infuriates me. You cannot copy and paste data through filing system, something as simple as saving a DVD movie to the iPhone means using iTunes and a myriad of accounts and conversion to whatever format etc that is just a massive pain the arse compared to literally a copy and paste tofile i can do on my Android Blackberry.

They clearly don't want you to manage your data, they prefer to manage it through iTunes or their own cockamamie apps that just make it harder to retrieve information when you need it and to store it and back it up sensibly, you're caught in Aplle's arse about ecosystem which just slows me down.

Now this works if you are already in their ecosystem but trying to just use the phone whilst the rest of one's data is managed on a Windows platform is just asking for pain.
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5149.50
Mr Tonka6058.00
      09-08-2017, 03:00 PM   #69
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
THat's not my issue though, it's Apple's data management that infuriates me. You cannot copy and paste data through filing system, something as simple as saving a DVD movie to the iPhone means using iTunes and a myriad of accounts and conversion to whatever format etc that is just a massive pain the arse compared to literally a copy and paste tofile i can do on my Android Blackberry.

They clearly don't want you to manage your data, they prefer to manage it through iTunes or their own cockamamie apps that just make it harder to retrieve information when you need it and to store it and back it up sensibly, you're caught in Aplle's arse about ecosystem which just slows me down.

Now this works if you are already in their ecosystem but trying to just use the phone whilst the rest of one's data is managed on a Windows platform is just asking for pain.
iOS 11 is going to have a drag and drop file system.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 03:06 PM   #70
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
iOS 11 is going to have a drag and drop file system.
You still need to convert media, needless hassle.

I had kids DVD's i wanted to save to an iPad, i nearly fuckign died trying to do it, what a CRUNT of an experience. Had to format to MPG4 and even then sometimes it'd work and others it wouldn't, then you need to load into the bloatware that is iTunes. ... absolute shite.

After a week of fucking about i gave up, bought a 64GB card for my Blackberry, loaded it in a card reader and copy and pasted the files. Took 4 fucking seconds.

Anyone who says Apple's stuff is easier to work with is prepared to go to iTunes and just download whatever they need at a cost, the management of owned data is abysmal.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5149.50
      09-08-2017, 03:09 PM   #71
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

There's other shit too, my wife, bless her, went back to Apple phone after I warned her it'd be a fucking shit show.

So we cut cable and she watches her soap by playing it on her phone and casting to the TV. Apple, naturally, doesn't work with the TV, they want you to buy Apple TV.

Fuck off.

So she's stuck watching it on a fucking phone. i am happy 'cos that frees up the TV for Project Cars so win fucking win for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 04:01 PM   #72
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

At a technology geek, I love tech too much to settle for Apple's pace and constraints. While they had a golden age during the time of the iPod and the first iPhone, the company has gone stagnant.

With companies like Xiao Mi using piezoelectric ceramic that vibrates the frame of the phone to produce sound which allows them to create a device that's truly bezel-less in their Mi Mix and upcoming Mi Mix 2. It's hard to be excited for anything Apple makes.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #73
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:

+1000

The fool that chose to respond to me with zero value in his stupid suggestions doesn't get it because he's so consumed by the cult of Apple. You and I have felt the pain of how ass backwards the Apple ecosystem is. They're looking to drive everyone to be fully dependent on using devices and utilizing content how Apple dictates. It's bad enough the RIAA/MPAA are trying to drive us towards the computer software model where you're licensed to only use said media on a specific device. Now we have a hardware vendor forcing the same thing.

This is why I continue to buy both music and media on physical medium. They can't control where it resides and how I use it. In addition, I don't want my media data compressed or encoded in some lossy format.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 05:45 PM   #74
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

It's not. You're just used to that archaic operating system thats still one step behind droids. Steve Jobs was a family friend. Still will never own one ever.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #75
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
It's not. You're just used to that archaic operating system thats still one step behind droids. Steve Jobs was a family friend. Still will never own one ever.
I own Android only at the moment...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 12:04 AM   #76
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Appreciate 2
MKSixer34184.50
gtron708.00
      09-09-2017, 12:58 AM   #77
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Quote:
Note owner here. I just checked out the Note 8. Nice phone, but it still feels "Androidy."

I have tried out the Pixel, Note, galaxy, LG, OnePlus and some Sharp asndroid.

Apple has somehow made their device absolutely feel different. When you pick up even the 1 year old iPhone 7, it just feels different. Not only is it faster, its smoother, more stable, and just a better experience.

Their custom A series silicon and iOS just seems like a total game changer in speed and fluidity. Battery life is better. RAM management is better, by far.

I never thought it would matter so much, but the integration of hardware and software just works. Part of my decision was made with the purchase of the amazing iPad Pro 10.5. Freaking perfect.

I am officially switching from Android and will be buying the iPhone 8/X/Pro/Edition when it comes out next Tuesday.

Sorry Android, see ya later.
My impression of iOS, going back to version 1.0 in 2007 even, is that user interactions are given highest priory for processing. With many other products I would click a button or some other control and nothing would happen - at first. The product was processing my input without providing any feedback, giving the feeling of terrible lag. (Ford's touch screen infotainment system several years ago was absolutely horrible about this. There must have been at least a second delay between hitting the volume controls and getting any sort of feedback that the control was pressed.) I don't think it's anything to do with processing speed, rather that the OS is coded to display feedback to the user prior to actually executing the requested command. It might make the command take a fraction of a second longer to complete, but it makes the experi nice feel extremely snappy and responsive and satisfying. Response lag is exceedingly frustrating. Anyway, that's all pure, 100% speculation, but it describes how interacting with iOS feels.

(Although as time has gone on I've found more operations have some lag, but it's not terrible so far.)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #78
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

"All new A11 chip features six cores, including two high-power Monsoon cores and four low-power Mistral cores. All cores are independently addressable.

The developer says that there’s “no Fusion,” as All chips can run all at once. That’s what makes Troughton-Smith conclude that the A11 is “going to be a Geekbench monster."

RIP Snapdragon
RIP Exynos
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #79
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep

Quote:
"All new A11 chip features six cores, including two high-power Monsoon cores and four low-power Mistral cores. All cores are independently addressable.

The developer says that there’s “no Fusion,” as All chips can run all at once. That’s what makes Troughton-Smith conclude that the A11 is “going to be a Geekbench monster."

RIP Snapdragon
RIP Exynos
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 03:04 PM   #80
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

After 9 years of Apple and iOS, I switched to a Galaxy S8+ earlier this year.

The camera and screen is amazing, the OS is SHIT.
Needless to say after only a couple o f months, I am going to stay up and pre-order the new iPhone. Android has improved vastly over the years, but I just can't deal with such a crappy OS, I want my phone to just work and be reliable. Apps are so much crappier on Android outside of Google made apps. The finger print reader is almost useless on an Android device, no apps use it. I hate constantly having to re-enter my email and password info on most apps. Almost none of my banking apps support the finger print reader whereas on iOS all of them did.

Sorry Samsung/Android, I tried, the camera is great, the phone is great, but the operating system and user experience is still not upto what I was used to (iOS).

Email is also sooooo much better on iOS.

Last edited by tdott; 09-11-2017 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 2
geogerf115.50
      09-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #81
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
My phone is not my media device. I use an Android tablet for that, where I can deal with the crappy OS.

I don't even store any music on my phone, it's all streamed via apps. So for my use, the stability and reliability and quality of iOS is much more preferred over whatever tinkering is possible on a crappier OS.

I guess if you want it as a media device and want it to do everything, then yea you have to deal with a crappier user experience of Android.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #82
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
After 9 years of Apple and iOS, I switched to a Galaxy S8+ earlier this year.

The camera and screen is amazing, the OS is SHIT.
Needless to say after only a couple o f months, I am going to stay up and pre-order the new iPhone. Android has improved vastly over the years, but I just can't deal with such a crappy OS, I want my phone to just work and be reliable. Apps are so much crappier on Android outside of Google made apps. The finger print reader is almost useless on an Android device, no apps use it. I hate constantly having to re-enter my email and password info on most apps. Almost none of my banking apps support the finger print reader whereas on iOS all of them did.

Sorry Samsung/Android, I tried, the camera is great, the phone is great, but the operating system and user experience is still not upto what I was used to (iOS).

Email is also sooooo much better on iOS.
Couldn't really sum that up better myself. I tried really hard to like Android. Even using a Nexus device the experience got frustrating over time.

Seems like the OS needs a complete rework or something. How many times have you pulled your android device out of your pocket because its so hot for no reason at all?

Everything is just easier on iOS. Also I think most Google made apps are much nicer and have more features on iOS than Android.

TouchID would be a hard feature not to live with. Android user may think its just a way to unlock your phone, but in iOS it allows you to log into almost anything. Banking, Paypal, etc.
      09-11-2017, 03:40 PM   #83
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Couldn't really sum that up better myself. I tried really hard to like Android. Even using a Nexus device the experience got frustrating over time.

Seems like the OS needs a complete rework or something. How many times have you pulled your android device out of your pocket because its so hot for no reason at all?

Everything is just easier on iOS. Also I think most Google made apps are much nicer and have more features on iOS than Android.

TouchID would be a hard feature not to live with. Android user may think its just a way to unlock your phone, but in iOS it allows you to log into almost anything. Banking, Paypal, etc.
Latest news is Apple is getting rid of TouchID in favor of face unlocking (which I think some Samsung phones use).
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #84
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogerf View Post
Latest news is Apple is getting rid of TouchID in favor of face unlocking (which I think some Samsung phones use).
Yup, I read this too. I assume the fingerprint reader will live in the iphone 7S but be eliminated on the high end iphone X model.

Looking forward to see what is announced tomorrow.
      09-11-2017, 05:12 PM   #85
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Apple is said to use a 3d face recognition....different than what Samsung has.
On Android phones face recognition isn't really secure because you can unlock the phone with a picture of the person's face.
With 3d face recognition or whatever they call it, it takes a 3d map of your face identifying the contours...you cannot unlock the phone with a picture.

But the iris scanner on Samsung phones is gold.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 09:50 PM   #86
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
True up until Apple had time to launch new products. The X are okay, a non horrible looking Air Pod. They're not fantastic sonically by any stretch, but I blame that more on BT than the actual drivers.

Apple designed beats are worth a look, nothing like the pre Apple products which were Bose levels of bad. For a workout headphone where you're in a noisy environment, the Beats X are more enjoyable and certainly more playful than the Etymotics, and unsurprisingly, better driven directly from the iPhone without an external amp or DAC, which I use for the Ety and AKG.
Lol, claim to be an audiophile and then say Beats are the best workout headphones you can buy Can't make this shit up.

Bose > Beats by a long shot. I tried both extensively before purchasing the QC35 last fall. If you think Beats even come close you have a screw loose.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 10:00 PM   #87
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Lol, claim to be an audiophile and then say Beats are the best workout headphones you can buy Can't make this shit up.

Bose > Beats by a long shot. I tried both extensively before purchasing the QC35 last fall. If you think Beats even come close you have a screw loose.
Makes fun of self proclaimed audiophile. Mentions Bose.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00
      09-11-2017, 10:03 PM   #88
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
What's the point of having a feature that is useless? It's a gimmic that doesn't actually work or have any app support, not to mention as already said, extremely insecure.

I'm sure whatever replacement has for TouchID will be implemented in a much better way than anything Android has done. And app devs will race to support it will a slew of updates, while Android still waits for apps that can make use of a finger print reader.
Appreciate 0