BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

06-21-2016, 06:47 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

I Am So Upset

I AM SO UPSET.

Any / all help with the following would be greatly appreciated.

Just got my car back from the dealer and noticed the damage to the rubber backing of the driver's door interior door grab in the photo attached.

With how OCD I am, I am so upset, as I'm going to make contact with this damage every time I get into my car now.

Anyone know what parts would fix same? I hope the wood need not be replaced, as same would be cost prohibitive. I asked my dealer's parts department, but they were having difficulty and said they'd need to get back to me.

And for those wondering if the dealer is going to cover same, I chickened out and left without complaining to my service advisor.

PISSED.
Attached Images

Last edited by dbs600; 06-21-2016 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 12:50 AM   #2
Hattat
Rep
Drives: 2010 740li

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
I AM SO UPSET.

Just got my car back from the dealer and noticed the damage to the rubber backing of the driver's door interior door grab in the photo attached.

With how OCD I am, I am so upset, as I'm going to make contact with this damage every time I get into my car now.

Anyone know what parts would fix same? I hope the wood need not be replaced, as same would be cost prohibitive. I asked my dealer's parts department, but they were having difficulty and said they'd need to get back to me.

And for those wondering if the dealer is going to cover same, I chickened out and left without complaining to my service advisor.

PISSED.

Same situation here. I am sorry to tell you that you need to purchase a whole door panel. The plastic backing trim under the wood trim is attached to the door panel with several plastic rivets.
There are several options. Either you will have to buy a new panel which is costly or you will buy a used door panel with a proper plastic trim. Then you will cut the plastic rivets on both panels and replace the damaged plastic trim on your current panel. For fixing you can use screw, washer and nuts instead of plastic rivets. They won`t be visible.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 05:30 PM   #3
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattat View Post
Same situation here. I am sorry to tell you that you need to purchase a whole door panel. The plastic backing trim under the wood trim is attached to the door panel with several plastic rivets.
There are several options. Either you will have to buy a new panel which is costly or you will buy a used door panel with a proper plastic trim. Then you will cut the plastic rivets on both panels and replace the damaged plastic trim on your current panel. For fixing you can use screw, washer and nuts instead of plastic rivets. They won`t be visible.
Thank you so much for your reply, Hattat!

After running around like a mad man - another dealer, body shops, detailing shops, junk yards, eBay, etc. - I called my service advisor. He asked for a photo and stated he will see if his leather guy can repair. He stated no one wears rings and no tools were around my car, and that he didn't see anything. I said I'm disappointed that my car is always being damaged while in their hands, but that I'll pay for the repair, that I just want it fixed! :/

I will keep you posted!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600
I AM SO UPSET.

PISSED.
Go to pep boys and buy a windshield seal. It's a long strip of solid goo.

Take a tiny piece, I mean 1 to 2 mm by 1mm. Roll it in your hands. Keep cutting in half if it's too big. Finally, when small enough, apply over the affected area. It is extremely pliable and even a tiny piece can be stretched to fill the affected area. Use a damp cloth to smooth over.

This is a great solution because it will hide the defect and it's not permanent.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 03:55 PM   #5
Hattat
Rep
Drives: 2010 740li

I purchased a used but in mint condition door panel for 72 EUR from ebay.de. This is the upper half of the panel. Lower half was discarded before it was shipped to me.
First we removed the new handle from the panel by cutting the plastic rivets.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2382
Size:  436.8 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2358
Size:  382.0 KB

After cutting the rivets, we cleaned the excess residue.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 2389
Size:  422.4 KB

Then we easily removed the handle from the panel.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 2446
Size:  756.2 KB

Repeated the same procedures for the existing panel for removing the damaged handle.
Then started installing the new handle. We used screws and washers to secure the handle on to the panel.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 2329
Size:  430.6 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 2353
Size:  486.5 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 2322
Size:  474.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 11:24 PM   #6
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thank you both!

Some solid advice and info, and pictures to boot!

Great forum.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #7
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

My door has been repaired.

I get to the dealer, wait for the repairman, an hour later my service advisor asks me to come out, the moment we open the door, I flip the FCUK out. There was additional, identical damage to the area that was even more egregious. I was so upset - every other word out of my mouth was a curse - I couldn't control myself. Someone who handled my car within the prior hour did the additional damage, which must have been the same person who did same at first. I understand not intentionally, but WTF.

Discussion of the necessary repair was frightening; they'd dig out the damaged area and replace with an epoxy and paint. I was concerned with the resulting texture, longevity, etc. On top of it, I was told the work would not be guaranteed, but that the repairman was the best there was. Did I say I was upset? I came to the dealer with the sentiment that I resigned myself to the fact that if the work was going to be questionable, I'd just live with the original damage, but that was now impossible; I was fuming - I walked the parking lot and came back to be able to continue the conversation after how badly I had just flipped, hitting my hand, the car, etc. Two infuriating things were further said to me, which I responded to with "JUST STOP, I don't want to hear the BS": 1. That the material was weak, so this was bound to happen (BULL; I've had the car for the past 5 years since new, the material was not weak and there was a line of demarcation between a prior visit and the damage and again now) and 2. That the additional damage was good for my situation, such that more of the area would be repaired / replaced, again BULL).

Long story short, a couple days later SA calls to state that the repairman spent nearly 6 hours over two days on the door and that the dealer's cost was $500 (which it was, as I had spoken with the repairman while he was in the middle of working on my car before I left and that's what he said he quoted my SA - at which point I was taken aback, but knew I was not going to accept such a number form the dealer). Anyway, after the SA stated $500, he said he'd split same with me. I was very quiet, paused for some time and said $200 and we'll put it behind us, to which he agreed.

While it looks good in the photo, the edge is slightly off at some areas and the texture is not the same, which I'm not happy about, but I feel that the work done was the best that could've been (short of repairman spending even more time); the average person would give it a 100%, but I'd say about 93%.

Going to think REAL hard about returning for service in the future, which is not good as it's probably the best dealer in the area, but if I do, I'm taking MANY thorough pictures of my car inside and out upon drop off. A hassle, but no choice.

In sum, repair is possible.
Attached Images

Last edited by dbs600; 08-06-2016 at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 10:16 AM   #8
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Hattat, can you please tell me how the soft touch rubber is attached to the door pull?

Does it sit / slide in place like the bottom of some cup holders or center storage compartments?

Or is it actually attached to the door pull that was fused to the door card?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 11:51 AM   #9
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Go to pep boys and buy a windshield seal. It's a long strip of solid goo.
Great tip and definitely one to keep in the memory bank. Please can you give me a link to this stuff? Don't have Pep Boys over here, but there must be something similar that's available.
Thanks,
Jon D.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 12:04 PM   #10
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
I AM SO UPSET....
...And for those wondering if the dealer is going to cover same, I chickened out and left without complaining to my service advisor. PISSED.
That's apalling and I really feel for you.
Last two times my 640i was in there have been issues - first was a small but quite deep scratch on the wood trim which I positively KNOW that it wasn't there when I left it, second time they misfitted the front bumper so much so that there was a huge gap under the RH fog light. What really pissed me off was that the adviser tried to get me to accept the car as it was - it was late in the evening so I told him it was totally unacceptable, kept the loan car and said I'd be expecting a call first thing in the morning.
In the interim I emailed the service manager and dealer principal to express my dissatisfaction - kept it polite but I must have got my point across as it was fixed and they drove the car out to me.
I'm soon taking delivery of a new 640i and based on these bad experiences, I will get the service adviser to go over the car with me and note any pre-existing damage before it goes in.
You have to do this with BMW before you get a loan car - it can work both ways!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 04:36 PM   #11
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thanks Gentlemen.

Yes, appalling indeed!

Inspecting your car thoroughly prior to drop off and upon pick up is mandatory. :|
Appreciate 0