BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

08-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
Max7SD
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 750i

Speed-Buster Tuning box for F01 750.

Hi guys... I've been surfing this forum for a while now researching about the f01. I finally bought one a few weeks ago, the local dealer here were slashing prices on the 2012 big time in anticipation of the facelifted version. F01 750i
I have been looking for a tune for this car for a while now and saw that both Dinan and ESS have ecu flash for the car but they both cost around $2000. Seems a little much for the limited power increase.
I also found that Turner Motorsports sells the Hartge piggy-back style tuning box. Decent amount of power gain but, again, at almost $1800... Still too much.
During the research I came across this German company called Speed-Buster... Apparently they have been around a long time and have tuning solutions for many types of German cars.
They have a tuning box for the F01 750i for $750 with shipping included. Installation looks very simple... Just hooking up two connectors to the manifold pressure sensors. Giving the car 81 horses and 74 ft-lbs gain over stock power. It all sounds too good to be true so I emailed them and this is what I got:

Thank you for your communication. You will find answers to all your questions on our website at www.speed-buster-na.com; I am also attaching our company press release and BMW 750i Instruction Guide (GER) for your review. As you will find SPEED-BUSTER® is Germany's largest manufacturer of ECU Tuning Modules, and Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and VW are the company's competence.

The Modules are stand-alone (i.e., additional units, piggy-backs, etc.), so there is no "Chipping" of "Flashing" of the ECU. SPEED-BUSTER® ECU Tuning Modules are designed and manufactured to operate within the technical specifications of your motor vehicle, so they should not create any CEL, DTC, etc. error codes; they do not void the manufacturer warranty.

While we encourage you to have the ECU Tuning Module installed by a certified mechanic, the installation can be accomplished with someone having limited mechanical knowledge. The SPEED-BUSTER® ECU Tuning Module for the BMW 750i connects to the two Boost Pressure Sensors, and the specifications are as following. The price is $750 with shipping.

Make: BMW
Model: 750i
Engine: 4,4L TwinPower Turbo
Model Year: > 11/2008
Original¹: 408Hp / 600Nm
SPEED-BUSTER® ECU Tuning Module: 489Hp / 700Nm
Increase: 81Hp / 100Nm
MSRP: $750

_______

¹ Original manufacturer specifications may be stated in different units of measure, they may be rounded, or they may vary in Canada, Mexico and the United States. For consistency, SPEED-BUSTER® N.A. states all Original, Optimized and Difference values in SPEED-BUSTER® GmbH & Co. KG terms.

Sincerely,

Anna H.
Client Relations

SPEED-BUSTER® N.A.
The Village at Castle Pines
858 West Happy Canyon Road, Suite 115
Post Mail Box 317
Castle Pines, CO 80108
USA

info@speed-buster-na.com
www.speed-buster-na.com

The price is not too bad for the power gain... and its relatively easy to install... I have done some searching on this forum but was unable to find any information on Speed-Buster... this could be because I'm a rookie and does not know how to search, if that is the case I am sorry... but if its because there isn't any information on Speed-Buster on the forum then... I'm scared to be the first to try them... let me know what you guys think.
Thanks again
Max
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Max7SD
Rep

Guys... Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
X5MC_LI
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max7SD
Guys... Any thoughts?
All I can tell you is that I had purchased a similar piggy-back tune for my F01 from VAC motorsports.
Had the car tested before and after on a dyno. Have me a decent increase of about 40hp and 45 torques. That's to the wheels of course. Was very happy untill about 3 months after, the car started to choke on me, at some points even shutting off on me even while driving. It was absolutely horrible. After doing research, I found out that piggy-back tunes on cars like ours are nothing but trouble. with the tune telling the car it's doing lower boost but at the same time it's doing much higher boost, you are causing a reduction error to stop the motor from any damage and therefore a reduction in power output.
I mean, that's my thought on it.
If u decide to do a tune, I think Dinan or Hartge is the safest way to go.
Good luck man.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
Max7SD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_BAD_F01 View Post
All I can tell you is that I had purchased a similar piggy-back tune for my F01 from VAC motorsports.
Had the car tested before and after on a dyno. Have me a decent increase of about 40hp and 45 torques. That's to the wheels of course. Was very happy untill about 3 months after, the car started to choke on me, at some points even shutting off on me even while driving. It was absolutely horrible. After doing research, I found out that piggy-back tunes on cars like ours are nothing but trouble. with the tune telling the car it's doing lower boost but at the same time it's doing much higher boost, you are causing a reduction error to stop the motor from any damage and therefore a reduction in power output.
I mean, that's my thought on it.
If u decide to do a tune, I think Dinan or Hartge is the safest way to go.
Good luck man.
Thank you very much for your input...
Appreciate 0