BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

10-09-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Canada-US

Why are models in Canada more expensive than ones in the US, even when the exchange rate is taken into account?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

The base models in Canada usually have a LOT of options already included that you need to pay for on US models. But in general, the Canadian models do cost more and even (as you mentioned) after taking the excahnge rate into consideration. Even when the Canadian dollar and US dollar were on par, the Canadian models still cost a LOT more and as far as I know they never adjusted the prices according to the exchange rate

On the other hand, we do get some options or configuration possibilities that you can't get or do in the US!

Like on Canadian 7 series models you can combine the individual and M-sport package. You get the 9.2" rear entertainment screens with the iDrive controller, etc...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

When you combine the Individual Package and the M Sport Package, you can only have M Sport branding (i.e.: you cannot have the Wood Inlay Steering Wheel, the Door Sills, the Rear Trunk Inscription, or the Individual Wheels), correct? So, basically, its just an M Sport Package with the interior leather finishing of an Individual Package... but I don't get why they they double charge you for everything (i.e.: the two package combined cost as much as the two package added together, instead of giving you credit for items not provided). Otherwise, the Individual Package in Canada is, in and of itself, almost double than what it is in the US. $14k vs. $8k.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I haven't really talked to my sales lady about the costing of the different packages and if there is a discount on the individual package when combined with the M-Sport package. Next time I talk to her, I'll ask her about it.

Here is what was included in the individual package when I bought my car:

BMW Individual Composition Package
Includes: BMW Individual Collection Paint Finish, BMW Individual Full Leather Upholstery, BMW Individual Interior Trim, Sport Leather Steering Wheel, 20" BMW Individual Alloy Wheels - Style 301I, Velour Floor Mats, BMW Individual Rear Reading Lights, Ceramic Package, High Gloss Shadowline, BMW Individual Door Sill Finishers, Upholstery Colored Alcantara Roofliner.

IIRC, it was $14k
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

How much nicer are the velour floor mats than the standard ones?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I don't know to be honest, I never looked at the 'regular' ones to know what the difference is... I would have to take a look at the showroom model next time I'm at the dealership!

I use the velour floor mats in the summer time and replace them with the rubber ones that I bought separately for the winter time (salt does a real number on velour mats !)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

BMW Canada's argument is that the US buys in more bulk, its more expensive to do business in Canada, and they enjoy staying very profitable