BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

11-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

Winter tires vs tires and wheel combo?

Its my first winter on my 750LIX and I am thinking of buying a set of winter tires for my car.I see that a lot of people here buy winter tires and wheels combo than just having the tires swapped each year.I am leasing the car so I don't want to end up in a situation trying to sell them tires and wheels 3 yrs from now.
Is there a reason for not buying just the tires?
I would appreciate some advice in this matter.
TIA
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 40i Msport

I would think getting a narrow tire for the winter is ideal as I'm pretty sure you have 20 inch rim on it now.
Also, it does usually cost more to take off the tire from the rim each time changing over as opposed to a single swap with a full set. Can also risk damaging the tire.
2011 550ix msport
2009 e92 335i msport
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbahead View Post
I would think getting a narrow tire for the winter is ideal as I'm pretty sure you have 20 inch rim on it now.
Also, it does usually cost more to take off the tire from the rim each time changing over as opposed to a single swap with a full set. Can also risk damaging the tire.
I still have the 19's on it .I am just debating between just getting the staggered winter tires( not ideal) vs buying the whole package.I am just trying to avoid having a set of wheels,tyres lying in my garage with no utility.Thanks for the reply
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
frieseke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 750li

I've found that this car is pretty hard on tires. A set of winter tires / summer tires only last about 2 years. If you are really gentle on the machine or don't do a pile of driving you might be able to get through a 3 year lease with the original set of summer tires and an extra set of winters. There is a fair chance of getting tire and rim damage while changing them - especially with these run flats that the car uses. However, since this is a lease I'm thinking it wouldn't be that bad. Say you scuff the inside of the rim, you won't notice it in a year or two and you will not have to worry about it when you give it back.

You might also consider rather than getting run flat winter tires getting regular winter tires and tucking in a flat tire kit (I use BMW's M-Mobility kit) underneath the trunk where the spare would normally be. Since you would have the extra tires kicking around your house if you were to get a flat tire you wouldn't be out of commission for as long as it normally takes to order a new tire.

Personally however, I have a different set of tires and rims for winter and summer. I don't like the hassle of changing tires on rims. One can usually find a set of rims on here for about 2000 bucks and considering that tires are not that far off in price than the combo for me it was a no brainer getting the tires and rims and not dealing with the switch around twice a year.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
MR_MoveOver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 750liX Individual

anybody have 245/40/20 all around
Appreciate 0