BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-27-2017, 11:49 PM   #1
Kyson
Rep
Drives: V12 Vantage S Manual

F Type R or V8 Vantage S?

Greetings all. Longtime BMW owner, and thinking about replacing my '15 M3. I'm a huge BMW fan, but thinking about something different this time around.

The F Type is well reviewed and much better on paper with higher HP, better technology, a glass roof option and a raucous personality. However, I drove a V8VS over the weekend and absolutely loved it despite it being no faster than the M3, having dated technology, an antiquated trans and knowing its literally at the end of a long life cycle. The damn thing just looks, sounds and feels amazing. In fact the M3 sorta disappeared whenever it was near. And I'm a huge fan of the F80 - it's been a perfect car from Euro delivery 2.5 years ago to present.

Has anyone had real experience in an Aston? I've read the many threads on this site celebrating the Jag, and I know its well loved. I haven't found anything on a late model ('15/'16) V8VS long term ownership experience. I have other cars so it needn't be a daily, but just another fun addition to the fleet. Likely won't track it either, just a nice occasional driver for work and weekends.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Kyson; 11-27-2017 at 11:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 06:16 AM   #2
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

My two cents is that it's different. I hate to say it but BMW's are almost as common as MB's now. I always like to have something a little less cookie cutter, that's one of the things I loved about the Z4MC. I can't comment on any of the long term ownership of AM but they are a very cool car that you don't see very often. Same goes for the Jag really.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 06:59 AM   #3
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: plenty

I've owned a 16' F-Type R and I've dealt with quite a few issues, almost 4 months in the shop.

As far as experience, you can't go wrong with either.. just be weary of what might happen down the road.. buy with a warranty!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 07:03 AM   #4
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

The amv8 is a gem offering tons of fun as you seem to have experienced. If you don't care about having the fastest car in the world (most normal people don't) then it's a tremendous car to this day. The one glaring negative is that sportshift transmission.

From your post it sounds like you may be using the car as a daily? If so, that transmission may really become a headache. I would drive again with an objective perspective on the transmission.

The jaguar is also spectacular but to me the car is more about the show that comes with it, the sound and looks. The drive is excellent as well, but I preferred the drive of the Aston Martin and surprisingly I preferred the engine of the am, even though the jaguar is far more powerful. That's totally subjective.

In extremely loose terms I would say the Aston Martin is like a BMW with the overall refined drive and driver focus standing out while jaguar is like an amg with the noise/engine experience standing out. Both perform amazingly and there is no mistake here, expect if you plan to use the car in traffic then the Aston is the mistake due to the transmission.
      11-28-2017, 08:25 AM   #5
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

I often found myself similarly torn. 2 recent test drives of awd f type r's have clinched it for me. the immense immediate power is intoxicating. no contest in that area...the aston feels downright gutless in comparison.
he 8 speed xf is light years ahead of the sportshift.
the aston looks and sounds better but i would have the ftype over it.
it made me laugh and smile on the test drive...the aston didnt

one test drive of an f type and you will.know which one is for you

make sure you test drive an awd r...the power is not accessible in the rwd due to wheelspin and traction control constantly cutting in
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 10:58 AM   #6
Kyson
Rep
Drives: V12 Vantage S Manual

Thanks for the responses.

It will not be a daily, just a potential fun replacement of the M3.

Great feedback on the in-traffic scenario as it will undoubtedly have to spend some time in traffic.

And thanks for the comments on the AWD specific F Type R. I haven't driven one yet, and I know it is the well rounded and technology better choice - I just love the aesthetics, size and sound of the Aston.

Appreciate everyones time in responding.