BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-26-2016, 09:42 PM   #23
1LegitM235i
1L
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Glacier Silver M235i

Don't wish that on anybody, second to kidney stones.

Let me guess, you're in your early 30s? I ruptured my first one (left) playing dodge ball. One year later, my second one (right), playing basketball. I was 31 and 32 when mine ruptured.

Are you on a soft or hard cast? Hard cast will put you on a longer rehab. Since it's been a month, recommend to start contracting your calf muscle as much as you can. It'll help when you begin your rehab. In the meantime, take a passenger seat and gather your thoughts, you'll be down for a bit, so chillax. No use of being anxious to get back on your feet and drive.
MP Front Splitter//MP CF Short Shifter//MP CF E-brake//MP LSD//Cold Weather package//Driver Assistance package//Oyster Dakota leather//Aluminum Hexagon trim//ECS Tuning Wheel Spacers//AutoPlus Rear Diffuser//HUD//Rexing DashCam//AutoID M Mirror Caps
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 09:50 PM   #24
guni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LegitM235i
Don't wish that on anybody, second to kidney stones.

Let me guess, you're in your early 30s? I ruptured my first one (left) playing dodge ball. One year later, my second one (right), playing basketball. I was 31 and 32 when mine ruptured.

Are you on a soft or hard cast? Hard cast will put you on a longer rehab. Since it's been a month, recommend to start contracting your calf muscle as much as you can. It'll help when you begin your rehab. In the meantime, take a passenger seat and gather your thoughts, you'll be down for a bit, so chillax. No use of being anxious to get back on your feet and drive.
ouch, both Achilles torn back to back?

I'm 32, so yea, I guess it was time for something like this to happen.

I had surgery 2 weeks ago and have been on the hard cast for a week. removing the remaining staples/stitches tomorrow.

should be 3 more weeks on the cast and then 4 weeks in the boot. hopefully will start physio as well.

thanks for the calf muscle tip. I hear it's gonna take a good 3onths until I'm walking properly again. any more tips are welcome.

have you been able to get back to full activity. at least no issues lifting and doing some running? I may take up swimming regularly again.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 10:42 PM   #25
1LegitM235i
1L
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Glacier Silver M235i

Ask your doc if you could be put on a soft cast on your next follow-up. Learned the hard way on my first rupture. The result, shrinkage calf muscle! Your doc will put you on a walking boot after your cast is removed. Walk with the boot at home without the crutches starting with short distances when you are ready. This is a good pre-rehab training. Use good judgement when you are ready and go from there. I can't emphasize enough to massage your scar tissue and your calf as often as possible. This is the first challenge you'll need to help yourself rehab quickly. Getting back a good blood flow to some of your dead scar tissue is important. It maybe painful at first, but you'll thank me later.

My recommendation to getting back to full activity is to take it in strides. Remember what got you in this injury in the first place. You are no longer in your 20s, physically...but your mind still thinks you can do all the things you did in your 20s.
Exercises I did without running or jumping were: toe raises, light step lunges, use of band, light bicycling, etc. Your therapist should be giving you some exercise regiment. I bet you can find some from YouTube.

Biggest challenge is accepting the fact you will not be 100% again on your Achilles tendon. You may have some numbness and soreness during your first year. After that, you should be good to go until the next one ruptures!
MP Front Splitter//MP CF Short Shifter//MP CF E-brake//MP LSD//Cold Weather package//Driver Assistance package//Oyster Dakota leather//Aluminum Hexagon trim//ECS Tuning Wheel Spacers//AutoPlus Rear Diffuser//HUD//Rexing DashCam//AutoID M Mirror Caps
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 10:59 PM   #26
Canuckles
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MW 2016 F82 M4

It sucks... it took me 5 months before I could really get back to my manual E92. Ruptured my left two years ago this July. I did not have surgery though, so you should recover quicker. Just remember to tender the battery.

One of the best feelings, on the flip side, was getting back in and proving I could still drive her. Good luck with the recovery and don't get let yourself get down.

Also, which foot right or left, and do you drive stick?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 06:51 AM   #27
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

I will gladly drive your car for you....poor car!
Kidding.....in all seriousness....heal up that ouch,I'm in pain thinking of yours!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 07:18 AM   #28
guni
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LegitM235i
Ask your doc if you could be put on a soft cast on your next follow-up. Learned the hard way on my first rupture. The result, shrinkage calf muscle! Your doc will put you on a walking boot after your cast is removed. Walk with the boot at home without the crutches starting with short distances when you are ready. This is a good pre-rehab training. Use good judgement when you are ready and go from there. I can't emphasize enough to massage your scar tissue and your calf as often as possible. This is the first challenge you'll need to help yourself rehab quickly. Getting back a good blood flow to some of your dead scar tissue is important. It maybe painful at first, but you'll thank me later.

My recommendation to getting back to full activity is to take it in strides. Remember what got you in this injury in the first place. You are no longer in your 20s, physically...but your mind still thinks you can do all the things you did in your 20s.
Exercises I did without running or jumping were: toe raises, light step lunges, use of band, light bicycling, etc. Your therapist should be giving you some exercise regiment. I bet you can find some from YouTube.

Biggest challenge is accepting the fact you will not be 100% again on your Achilles tendon. You may have some numbness and soreness during your first year. After that, you should be good to go until the next one ruptures!
This is great info and advice, thank you.

You are absolutely right about still having a 20yo mindset when it comes to physical activity. I think this might be a sign it's time to take up golfing
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 07:20 AM   #29
guni
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckles
It sucks... it took me 5 months before I could really get back to my manual E92. Ruptured my left two years ago this July. I did not have surgery though, so you should recover quicker. Just remember to tender the battery.

One of the best feelings, on the flip side, was getting back in and proving I could still drive her. Good luck with the recovery and don't get let yourself get down.

Also, which foot right or left, and do you drive stick?
9 months?? wow, impossible not to be a patient person after that

it was my left Achilles and my car is stick.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 07:25 AM   #30
guni
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz
I will gladly drive your car for you....poor car!
Kidding.....in all seriousness....heal up that ouch,I'm in pain thinking of yours!
thanks!

I'm actually having my detail guy come over and give her a wash and put some gas. If it's going to take over 4 months to drive her again I have to make she's well maintained.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 08:29 AM   #31
guni
United_States
Rep

Some nasty pics to make it fun
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-27-2016, 08:46 AM   #32
F30_SixSpeed
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Jeez man thats crazy!! Hope you have a speedy recovery.

You guys made me feel better. Mid december I completely tore a muscle in my left groin. Hardest parts were getting in and out of a car, sitting down, and getting into bed believe it or not.

Fast forward to Monday night.... not even four and a half months later. I think a similar thing happened ... only on my OTHER side (as if I wasn't hurting enough.) I'm actually on my way to the orthopedic this morning and will be getting an MRI after to access the damage. Hope it turns out to be ok.

FYI my left side (original injury) healed up extremely well. I couldn't drive well for a few weeks either (f30 is a 6 speed, my daily driver is a 5 speed lol)
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2016, 09:10 AM   #33
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Oh geez the pics were gross.
Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2016, 09:13 AM   #34
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
DUDE!?!?!

I thought back to back rotator cuff surgery was bad...

What is the (expected) life span of those hips?
There is no real life span...it is given in % to failure per 10-12 years. The 10-12 year failure rate is 8-10%. I was hoping to hang on long enough to get the 3-D reprinted hip based on my own anatomy but it is still too far off. I did about 8 hrs standing on mainly concrete yesterday and was in excruciating pain at the end of the day.

Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 09:14 AM   #35
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by guni View Post
Some nasty pics to make it fun
Ok. That is insane. Good luck with the recovery.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #36
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Wow, I cant imagine 3 months. I was going crazy for just 11 days.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2016, 09:59 AM   #37
ptbarnacle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16- MW M3

Wow!! I was going to post--

But then saw the pictures. Gross. Those staples look mean.

Hope you heal soon. I pulled both ham strings and developed tennis elbow last year. Had to switch it up. Brain kept saying go for it and body protested.
      04-27-2016, 10:00 AM   #38
guni
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_SixSpeed
Jeez man thats crazy!! Hope you have a speedy recovery.

You guys made me feel better. Mid december I completely tore a muscle in my left groin. Hardest parts were getting in and out of a car, sitting down, and getting into bed believe it or not.

Fast forward to Monday night.... not even four and a half months later. I think a similar thing happened ... only on my OTHER side (as if I wasn't hurting enough.) I'm actually on my way to the orthopedic this morning and will be getting an MRI after to access the damage. Hope it turns out to be ok.

FYI my left side (original injury) healed up extremely well. I couldn't drive well for a few weeks either (f30 is a 6 speed, my daily driver is a 5 speed lol)
damn I hope it's nothing serious. good luck man!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #39
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Time for dct now
      04-27-2016, 10:26 AM   #40
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

OH MY GOD why the pictures?! Haven't even had my breakfast yet.

I guess this is a pretty common injury..lots of people have chimed in. Kinda makes me weary about continuing to play league basketball.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #41
guni
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504
Wow, I cant imagine 3 months. I was going crazy for just 11 days.
I'm hoping to maintain my sanity.

Funny thing is, I'm driving my wife's car and whenever I hit the gas it feel like nothing is happening. So slooow...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 10:31 AM   #42
guni
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbarnacle
Wow!! I was going to post--

But then saw the pictures. Gross. Those staples look mean.

Hope you heal soon. I pulled both ham strings and developed tennis elbow last year. Had to switch it up. Brain kept saying go for it and body protested.
ahahah, I had a feeling someone would post that so I made a preemptive strike.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 10:32 AM   #43
guni
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86
Time for dct now
Lol, I'm not ready for that yet. maybe in 10 years
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 10:42 AM   #44
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
I watched hip replacement surgery videos last night because of this thread. I love science, technology, and medicine.

Good luck op.
Appreciate 6