BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-16-2015, 10:51 PM   #1
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

The world's most dangerous motorcycle race.

Has anyone post this before? This is insane...People willing to die for winning the race?

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 10:56 PM   #2
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Welcome to the TT. They road race like that in Ireland too. Yes, people are willing to die, and it's as real as sport gets. These guys have the most balls of any athletes out there.
Appreciate 7
      11-16-2015, 11:03 PM   #3
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Welcome to the TT. They road race like that in Ireland too. Yes, people are willing to die, and it's as real as sport gets. These guys have the most balls of any athletes out there.
I know the feeling of the speed is awesome, but it's still insane...I wonder what their families think about that? They are willing to let them die like that?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 11:05 PM   #4
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Kidding View Post
I know the feeling of the speed is awesome, but it's still insane...I wonder what their families think about that? They are willing to let them die like that?
Many of them, yes. If you couldn't tell, these guys are nutcases and may not have much else going for them. There are some documentaries on the tubes that feature the riders' families.

By the way, I don't mean that as an insult. These dudes are beyond awesome.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 11:14 PM   #5
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Kidding View Post
Many of them, yes. If you couldn't tell, these guys are nutcases and may not have much else going for them. There are some documentaries on the tubes that feature the riders' families.

By the way, I don't mean that as an insult. These dudes are beyond awesome.
That's just crazy...
      11-17-2015, 08:34 AM   #6
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

This is nuts. I wouldn't call them brave, I would call them a little insane. If someone told a regular person that the odds were that 5 out of 200 people will die who walk into a certain shopping mall, no one would go there. Ever. If someone said 5 out of every 200 planes would crash, no one would ever fly.

This is no different... The odds you will not leave the event are astronomically high. This isn't about being brave, it is about having a death wish or being addicted to adrenaline.

I also think it is pretty selfish... for those who have families anyway.

Now, having said that, the skill, nerves and composure these guys have is incredible. I just think all of the nuts and bolts in their heads have not been screwed on tightly enough
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3

Last edited by gthal; 11-17-2015 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 08:46 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Isle of man TT...

Appreciate 1
      11-17-2015, 10:54 AM   #8
Boxtyp3
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 MG

Garage List
2015 F32 435  [0.00]
2002 E46 cp  [0.00]
2010 E82 135i  [0.00]
2013 E92 335i  [0.00]
Hats off to those who lost their lives doing what they love the most.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 11:15 AM   #9
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

It's easy to call other folks insane or selfish when their values are different from your own. We're all going to be dead soon enough and these guys are hitting it while they can rather than rotting in front of a tube like the rest of us. Doesn't seem like such a bad way to use the one life you've got.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

I went to school with Mike 'The Bike' Hailwoods son David the family lived in New Zealand.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 11:44 AM   #11
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Mountain climbing, bull fighting and auto racing.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 12:55 PM   #12
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
It's easy to call other folks insane or selfish when their values are different from your own. We're all going to be dead soon enough and these guys are hitting it while they can rather than rotting in front of a tube like the rest of us. Doesn't seem like such a bad way to use the one life you've got.
I don't completely disagree with this comment notwithstanding my first post. I just think that for the vast majority of people, even those not "wasting" their lives, the risk of cutting your life short for an adrenaline rush makes little sense to most people who have a basic survival instinct. Maybe they just believe it will never really happen to them. Maybe they don't care.

On the selfish part, if you have people that care about you and you deliberately put your life in jeopardy, that is absolutely selfish by definition given the pain you potentially risk imposing on your family. I'm not judging their selfishness... lots of us make selfish choices... but it is absolutely a selfish act unless there is no one who would give a damn if you were dead.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #13
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal
Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
I don't completely disagree with this comment notwithstanding my first post. I just think that for the vast majority of people, even those not "wasting" their lives, the risk of cutting your life short for an adrenaline rush makes little sense to most people who have a basic survival instinct. Maybe they just believe it will never really happen to them. Maybe they don't care.

On the selfish part, if you have people that care about you and you deliberately put your life in jeopardy, that is absolutely selfish by definition given the pain you potentially risk imposing on your family. I'm not judging their selfishness... lots of us make selfish choices... but it is absolutely a selfish act unless there is no one who would give a damn if you were dead.
This, that's what I was thinking..
      11-17-2015, 01:49 PM   #14
catchm3ifyoucann
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

With respect to F1 drivers, I believe these guys are on a whole different skill set. Even F1 drivers will admit these guys are nuts.

Reaching speeds of over 200mph, no barriers, and the slightest mistake can cost you your life commands a skill set that very few can match. Watching the POV videos of them racing around the Isle is ridiculous to see how quick they react to the twists and turns.

Here's my favorite video:

Appreciate 2
      11-17-2015, 02:38 PM   #15
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post

Maybe I'm selfish then, but I competed in a very dangerous sport during my younger years. My family hated it and were very relieved when I "aged out" in my 40s. And I've felt half-alive ever since I quit. Is it so wonderful that I'm being unselfishly alive now?

I don't advocate faking people out - like marrying and having kids then one day deciding to get into wingsuit flying. But be up front about who you are and the risks you take when you begin relationships and let your loved ones decide whether they want to be in your life. Be honest with yourself and live the life you want or else you're not much good to anyone.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 03:37 PM   #16
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Mountain climbing, bull fighting and auto racing.
Mountain climbing is actually pretty safe, bull fighting is stupid and rigged, and auto racing is SUPER safe in comparison these days. At least compare it to something like wingsuit base jumping which has a pretty high fatality rate. That's not really an organized sport though, so the brass balls award still goes to the TT riders.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 04:02 PM   #17
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

The Isle of Man TT is the Roman gladiator ring of contemporary motorsport. It's legendary, and in this day and age, one of the few sporting competitions that truly earns that distinction, IMHO -- and most of the others are gone (Millie Miglia, Paris-Dakar Rally before it became a manufacturer marketing gimmick, any one of a number of off-road rallys held in Northern Europe)

I've driven the circuit (it's all public road), and it's beyond mind-blowing that someone on a superbike can do 200mph on it. It makes the Monte Carlo GP seem like a go-kart track ... (and by the way: the Isle of Man is a semi-backward but stunning, almost deific place. Worth a visit just for the feeling you get in your innards there.)

Basically, anyone who argues with me about NASCAR being legitimately intense and competitive gets pointed toward a few IoMTT videos. They usually shut up after that.
Appreciate 2
      11-17-2015, 08:20 PM   #18
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Here's everyone's favorite track ridden TT style. Current bike record. You almost never see fast bike laps there because there's no racing, no prize, and it's extremely dangerous on a bike for mostly the same reasons as the Snaefel TT course.

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 03:50 AM   #19
camnhoj
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2012 f10 520d M sport

Garage List
This documentary is what it's all about
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 06:52 AM   #20
gap
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S. Thompson
ER CP, Forge DV, Wagner FMIC, PE, Maddad Mid, ER Sports OC, BMS OCC, RB Check Valve, AFE intake, Cobb AP3- Stage 1+ drive, BMW SS, PS Springs, Yellow Koni external, M3 Control Arms F & R, M3 Strut Brace, M3 Sub Bushing, Rouge Toe, Dinan Camber Plate and Rear Shock Mts., E93 M3 front sway bar, Mfactory Diff, Arc 8 PSS 235/40/18-265/35/18
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 11:50 PM   #21
spiceyxi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 528i, '06 Z4C & '13 135i

I have been lucky enough to go about 3 times. What is worse/more insane than the people willing to die for the race is the people that are willing to die trying to prove they are as good as the racers. I would have to look up the stats, but I bet the civilian fatalities equal or exceed the racer ones. As someone above mentioned the track is simply the roads and I believe the speed limits are fairly lax on such a small island.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 10:27 AM   #22
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceyxi View Post
I have been lucky enough to go about 3 times. What is worse/more insane than the people willing to die for the race is the people that are willing to die trying to prove they are as good as the racers. I would have to look up the stats, but I bet the civilian fatalities equal or exceed the racer ones. As someone above mentioned the track is simply the roads and I believe the speed limits are fairly lax on such a small island.
Yes, the track is all public road -- part of the reason I made the Monte Carlo GP comparison. And the 'semi-backward' aspect I mentioned is part and parcel of IoM status as a Crown dependency -- not part of Great Britain, the United Kingdom or Ireland -- and with the power to pass its own laws with its own legislature (with royal consent). What that means to vehicle operators is that the vast majority the UK's road and racing regulations do not apply. That political status is the entire reason the TT still exists -- leadership on the island is fully aware that the race -- and Manx cats -- are the two most valuable claims to fame the island has.

(Another reason I made the Monte Carlo GP comparison: the tax rate on the Isle of Man is among the lowest in Europe).
Appreciate 0