BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-12-2015, 10:28 PM   #1
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

What next? Cayman S vs. Stingray Z51

Need some advice as I'm still in the early preliminary online shopping phase. I had a Z4 35i that I was planning on keeping until it gives up on me. Mostly due to poor residual, but also because it had some personal sentimental value. Long story short, things changed and I was able to get a pretty good offer on the car. While I absolutely loved the car (interior was top notch, especially with the Citrus Package that lined important surfaces with alcantara) and I thought was and still think one of the best looking vehicles on the road, it just didn't give the oomph of power I was looking for. Between that and all the interior rattles that I could never sort out, I had been thinking about upgrading for the past year now. Now I have the opportunity to do so... a very good dilemma arises: What next?

I'm personally a big fan of Porsches in general, which makes the Cayman S a top contender. Interior is a huge upgrade from the last gen, drivability is top-notch, and in the end, it's a Porsche. With that said... this is going to be a DD and not a track vehicle nor is my daily commute a carve through the canyons, and $65k base for a 3.4L @325HP is not easy to swallow. I'd definitely need some seat time to decide, but on paper it's not that convincing.

Moving to the Stingray. Before I got the Z4, I did cross-shop the Corvette. What really held me back was the very poor interior quality of the C6, especially at 50 large. Now, the C7 comes with a much needed bump in interior quality, and the exterior design is just in my opinion. That, and at bone-stock Cayman S price I'd be able to get a pretty much fully loaded C7 with Z51 package, and a ground shaking, earth rumbling V8. Nothing beats the sound of an NA V8... Bang for your buck... the Stingray takes it home easy. On top of that, there is nothing you can do with the Cayman to make it even sound nearly as good as the C7. However, as stated earlier, a Porsche is still a Porsche and I truly believe that adds value regardless of if you want to admit to it or not. Additionally, despite having an improved interior, reviews I've read on the C7 still says it isn't quite up to par with the Germans. I'm also worried about potential long-term reliability of an American/GM vehicle. This will be a long-term purchase and not a lease.

I think another thing worth mentioning is, having come from a Z4, I'm not sure if I'm ready to give up on a convertible yet. But there is no way I'd get a soft top so a Boxster would be out of the question. For the Vette (I'd be going for the coupe) at least has a targa top that would provide some open air experience. The only other car I could think of is the SLK55 AMG, but they're due for an upgrade pretty soon.

Any thoughts or recommendations? I know I'm really cross shopping between segments, but again as I'm still at the very early phase of shopping, I'm open to suggestions. I know the Cayman and Stingray get brought up pretty often around this neck of the woods...

Last edited by CedarZ4; 11-12-2015 at 10:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 05:04 AM   #2
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

First off, in general, an American vehicle will be more reliable than a German car. The C7 is cheaper and easier to work on with a much bigger aftermarket selection of goodies. It's no contest IMO, C7 all the way.
Appreciate 3
      11-13-2015, 05:43 AM   #3
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Cayman S all the way as the better overall package. Plus two other things that would make this an easy decision for me: much better resale value for the Cayman, plus much better reliability...have not heard good things at all with the current gen stingray. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 09:06 AM   #4
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

If the roads in your area are not Porsche worthy AND you want that shove in your back, you know the answer here.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 09:10 AM   #5
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
No brainer, C7.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2015, 09:35 AM   #6
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

If value is part of your matrix, you gotta go C7. My only problem is I can't stomach the rear styling: Chevy stylists should have laid off the Batman re-runs when they drew that up.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #7
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i (6MT fakerich edition)

Get Jaguar F-Type, you will have a more exclusive car and they sound very soulful even V6 models. I would get mine with "interior black pack" and 19 or 20-inch aftermarket wheels of my choice. Also: you will probably get a bigger discount on F-Type than a Porsche because they are not exactly selling like hotcakes. And Jaguar doesn't charge arm and a leg for most options.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 10:05 AM   #8
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

I only 6'2" I went to sit in a new Z06, I put the seat all the way down and all the way back, I got in a smacked my head on the 'roll bar'

I fit just fine the the Porsche
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 10:36 AM   #9
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird View Post
First off, in general, an American vehicle will be more reliable than a German car. The C7 is cheaper and easier to work on with a much bigger aftermarket selection of goodies. It's no contest IMO, C7 all the way.
Haven't heard about the C7 engines blowing, I see? I know it's just one example, but Car and Driver just did their 40k mile long-term wrap-up on theirs... engine blew at 6k, needed a new starter, didn't handle the cold very well, 7 unscheduled dealer stops... whereas Porsches are generally quite reliable (I know my mom's '07 Cayman has been pretty good in the 4 years she's had it).
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #10
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
Any thoughts or recommendations? I know I'm really cross shopping between segments, but again as I'm still at the very early phase of shopping, I'm open to suggestions.
Frankly, I think you're narrowing down your search far too early. Given a rough budget, figure out what cars are in your market range both new and CPO (if you are open to that). Take a real look at what you need and want in a car. Be honest, if you aren't tracking the car you don't need carbon ceramics, etc... if you are only commuting, avoid a full-time rigid sports suspension in favor of magnetic ride or dampening modes.

The biggest mistake people make is letting magazines, journalists and the internet tell them what car to buy. The truth is there are a lot of fine, dependable enthusiast vehicles on the market today. Get out and 3-4 before you start an internal debate. You might be surprised what provokes interest in reality vs in your head.

Might I also add the F-Type, base 911 and wild-card Alfa Romeo 4C to your list. It never hurts to test drive!
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2015, 10:46 AM   #11
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
prepare for flame.

not by me but because of those broad strokes panted across a german car forum. lol

but i will post this since it relates directly to the cayman s (note 6 and 10):

11-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #12
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
oh yea; to op: i was in a similar boat and ended up with the CS. i'm very happy. i seem to change cars every two years though so i'll likely end up with both at some point anyway.

in a situation like this, a simple test for you would to pick heads or tails on a coin. flick it into the air and the first one you think of is the one you really want. get that one and cross it off your "dream" list.

you can always throw it in the gutter and go buy another.
      11-13-2015, 11:04 AM   #13
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

When I was on the market for dual duty track/street car in the summer of 2013, I did a test test drive of a 1st Gen 6-speed manual Cayman-S, and a 6-speed manual 135, one day apart. For street use, I preferred the torque and easier maintenance of the 135i. In the Cayman S (CS), I hated the thin seats, thin steering wheel, and stiff clutch pedal. The noise inside the cabin when accelerating was a little too much for my taste and would have grown old for me. The harshness of the suspension and 19 inch upgraded wheels on non-perfect pavement was annoying.

The 135i felt better to me as a dual-duty, but Im sure that the CS would have been a little bit ahead on the track.

Conclusion: OP needs to define ratio of street/track use. Mine turned out to be 80% track, and 20% street. I still preferred the 135i over the CS, as a DIY person, and its tuning potential. In the OP's situation, he needs to define his ratio of city use versus highway use, while thinking of the quality of the pavement he typically drives on.

I had the chance to ride as an instructor in a student's C7/Z06 package corvette, and a stock C7 corvette on the track. Absolutely terrific cars, with monstrouse torque, great handling, great braking, modernized interior, and beautiful exhaust note that is switchable (Sports mode, touring, etc) IIRC. The automatic tranny models tend to overheat easily on the track. The manuals seem OK. Not sure about long term reliability, but perhaps a certified pre-owned with extended warranty would be worthwhile for OP's peace of mind ...
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts

Last edited by dcaron9999; 11-13-2015 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 12:05 PM   #14
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BEASTMW- View Post
Haven't heard about the C7 engines blowing, I see? I know it's just one example, but Car and Driver just did their 40k mile long-term wrap-up on theirs... engine blew at 6k, needed a new starter, didn't handle the cold very well, 7 unscheduled dealer stops... whereas Porsches are generally quite reliable (I know my mom's '07 Cayman has been pretty good in the 4 years she's had it).
Oh, you mean the engine that blew because of a bad oil filter that shredded parts into the engine. Not exactly something I'd blame the motor/car on and something very easy to correct (do an oil change with a different filter).

Porsche has a history of issues upon issues. Hell, I was dead set on getting a 996, even knowing their severe (and common problems), until I drove one and didn't like it.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 12:08 PM   #15
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 EB F31 2018 LG F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
Any thoughts or recommendations? I know I'm really cross shopping between segments, but again as I'm still at the very early phase of shopping, I'm open to suggestions. I know the Cayman and Stingray get brought up pretty often around this neck of the woods...
I can't comment on the C7 although I went to look at them, and was impressed with the improvement of the interior. I am sure it is a fantastic car, and all the reviews say it is a fantastic value.

In the past on a daily driver, and depending on the distance you need to travel, a factor would have been that an American V8 would cost quite a bit more in gas compared to a German flat 6. This is no longer the case, Chevy has done an awesome job in every respect on the Corvette.

I have a Boxster S and I love it. It is a chameleon of a car. I bought a highly optioned CPO car, and because it was a manual I got a fantastic deal on it. My car has PASM, Sport Chromo and Sport Exhaust. With these 3 options you can have something that is stiff and engaging, or softer and more relaxed.

This car is not my DD, but if it were and I was spec-ing the car new, the GTS is a pretty good value (for a Porsche) if you don't plan on getting a stripper. Keep in mind that the Boxster and Cayman are moving to turbo 4s with the next revision as a 2017 model year.

B.

Last edited by bueller; 11-13-2015 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 12:20 PM   #16
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

That would be my preferred "toy" car, the Boxster S you describe. Has to be a chop top so that narrows it, even the options you listed, that's what i'd get.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 12:38 PM   #17
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

C7
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 12:38 PM   #18
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hell, I was dead set on getting a 996, even knowing their severe (and common problems), until I drove one and didn't like it.
      11-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #19
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

After the ignition switch safety issue cover up I consider GM a criminal organization and would never give them my $.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #20
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
After the ignition switch safety issue cover up I consider GM a criminal organization and would never give them my $.
what about the current VW cover ups? does that mean porsche is out too? you sir, have chosen neither option for op.
      11-13-2015, 01:52 PM   #21
SMV_M4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 AW/SO

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'm sorry, but to insinuate American cars are more reliable than German, or frankly any European vehicle, is a bit odd. The single worst performer in reliability tests by JD Powers AND Consumer Reports was Jeep, an American vehicle - subsidiary of Chrysler (poor reliability as well). American cars have improved immensely, but not so much as to eclipse proper European cars.
2008 335xi Coupe / JB/CR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 02:01 PM   #22
jonshmoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - Jerez / 6MT

997TT
Appreciate 0