BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

11-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
Copasetic222
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina B7

Help me Compare Please

I'm going around in a circle trying to compare some fairly uncomparable vehicles and i'd welcome your thoughts: I've had limited test drives but it's really hard to tell from those. I live three hours from dealers and inventory to test is an issue.
I currently have an '09 Cayenne Turbo S (with FabSpeed exhaust and TechArt lowering module). It's been fun, but I'm about ready to move on. I am tall and long in the torso so FIT is always the #1 issue.
I'm considering an '11 Cayenne Turbo. Upside: vastly improved in many ways. Downside: expensive, resale kills you (especially when you add a lot of "must have" options) and I'm not in love with the styling, especially the Hundai tail lights.
An X5M: upside: value compared to the Cayenne, like the looks, plenty of performance. Downside: much heavier than new Cayenne, much less fuel efficient and gas tank much smaller, towing is questionable because of hitch availability, I don't have to have an SUV (my wife has one). Feels like goinf backwards compared to new Cayenne.
750i or 750Li (either would have Xdrive because I'm in snow country). Upside: vast improvements in F01 looks and performance, value compared to Cayenne. Downside: not a B7, probably too "refined" for me in stock form, some mods available, some supposedly coming (Dinan ECU for Xdrive) but not here yet.
Alpina B7. Upside: it's an Alpina. Need I say more? Downside: questionable value, 07/08 B7's depreciated like rocks, may be perfect combination of refinement and "hot-rod" but may also be too refined. Refined performance is really Alpina's goal.
FYI, I have an E36 M3 track car and a '00 Dinan S2 E39 M5 as a summer toy, but fit prevents long drives in it. I still like performance in my year around, daily driver!
I value your opinions! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

U can take into consideration the new 6, if u're not in a hurry. It features the new eight speed transmission and a lot of new options (including a large navi screen)
From the list u mentioned before the most interesting car (and not slow at all) is the XDrive Alpina B7...
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
DeanofLaw
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BMW M5

Some suggestions

My daily driver is a Mercedes 2010 E63 AMG which I have tweaked with the help of FabSpeed (ECU tuning, headers and an X pipe) that has boosted the HP to 550 at the rear wheels This car is absolutely a phenomenal DD. Of course between the car and the mods I have a 120K DD. The exhaust note is deep and impressive. The transmission the new 7 speed that may be the best automatic paddle shifter with very quick shifts. The only downside for snow country is its a sled and you'll need some POS for the snowy days.

Ok, if you wanted to stay with a BMW I would suggest the 750i xdrive with the M package then get an ECU tuning and see how that feels. That way you will have a car that is great and that you can depend upon on snowy days which perhaps for you may be too frequent not to have a 4 wheel drive vehicle for a daily driver.

If your wife has an SUV then I really see no point in getting another SUV.
10 Audi V10 R8 StASIS #8
13 Jeep Wrangler
13 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Copasetic222
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina B7

Thanks for the comments. Just what I have been looking for.

The new 6 series is not an option; I'm sure I won't fit. The rake on the windshield on the current 6 is such that my line of vision is actually higher than the top of the glass.

The B7 is no doubt what I really want, but since my history is not to keep cars very long, the depreciation scares me. I have seen, since I first started this thread, that the depreciation on my Cayenne is even worse than I expected. I also found out that BMW has established a residual value on the 750's at 53% in 36 months (they use these for lease purposes and I believe they are a good indicator of future value), which is bad enough, but for the B7 it is much worse, at 43%.
Appreciate 0