BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

03-18-2024, 01:04 PM   #1
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

Free 7 Series

I got a local guy that has an ‘09 7 series that allegedly has a bad transmission. He is willing to give the car up for free since he’s moving. I have yet to scan the car to see about codes, but it is a clean car. I was thinking about picking it up to flip as long as the transmission could be an easy fix. I am very familiar with BMW’s overall and do my own work with access to ISTA. I don’t know the mileage yet, but I was thinking that this could be a mechatronix issue or even the flex disc. What else should I look at if I decide to take the plunge?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 10:31 PM   #2
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

IMHO, if the car doesn't start up and run on it's own to verify that the transmission is indeed the only issue, then you are just asking for "more-than-just-a-transmission-issue".

If it does start up, and you are able to verify that the motor is w/o issue (or your attention after ownership), and you can play with the transmission to verify what doesn't work (slips vs no gear catches), you are able to pull all the codes, no smoke from the tail pipe and no major parts are missing or broken, then you might have yourself a project car.
Appreciate 0