BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

01-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
black07sport
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 Alpine White E92 M3

2010 7-series rear entertainment question

Greetings,

I work for a dealership and was stumped by a question today. A customer asked if you can watch 2 seperate movies on the individual screens in the back without hooking up an alternate source (PS3, DVD player etc.) I know there is a 6dvd changed in the car as well as a single dvd slot in the back, but I thought they worked off the same input, meaning if you played a dvd from either changer or single slot it would still appear on the screens. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2005 Subaru WRX 400+ AWHP (sold)
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
hayden
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by black07sport View Post
Greetings,

I work for a dealership and was stumped by a question today. A customer asked if you can watch 2 seperate movies on the individual screens in the back without hooking up an alternate source (PS3, DVD player etc.) I know there is a 6dvd changed in the car as well as a single dvd slot in the back, but I thought they worked off the same input, meaning if you played a dvd from either changer or single slot it would still appear on the screens. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, I think you can set one of the monitors to the front DVD changer, and the other to the single DVD in the back.

You could techinically watch 3 seperate things if using the input cable in the rear. (1 would be the DVD changer on the front screen while in Park)

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden View Post
Yes, I think you can set one of the monitors to the front DVD changer, and the other to the single DVD in the back.

You could techinically watch 3 seperate things if using the input cable in the rear. (1 would be the DVD changer on the front screen while in Park)
I had asked my dealer the exact same question before I took delivery of the car. Back then, even BMW Canada wasn't able to answer this question...

As far as I know (at least I have been told by folks from the US on this forum), you can't watch different sources on the two screens in the back in US spec cars.

However you can watch different sources on the two screens in the Canadian spec models. In fact, I can (and have done so on a few occasions) watch 3 different movies on the 3 screens.

The US spec models have the standard rear entertainment system with two 8" screens and it comes with an Infrared remote control (located in the center arm rest in the rear).
The Canadian spec models come with the professional rear entertainment system with two 9.2" high resolution screens and an additional iDrive controller (located in the center arm rest in the rear).

I have posted more information on this subject in this thread (at the bottom of page 5):

http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432

Hope this helps.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 12:12 AM   #4
hayden
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
As far as I know (at least I have been told by folks from the US on this forum), you can't watch different sources on the two screens in the back in US spec cars.
That is not correct.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=15

This post shows a US spec F02 with a different DVD (and an iPod video) playing on each of the seperate screens.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 02:01 AM   #5
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
I had asked my dealer the exact same question before I took delivery of the car. Back then, even BMW Canada wasn't able to answer this question...

However you can watch different sources on the two screens in the Canadian spec models. In fact, I can (and have done so on a few occasions) watch 3 different movies on the 3 screens.

The US spec models have the standard rear entertainment system with two 8" screens and it comes with an Infrared remote control (located in the center arm rest in the rear).
The Canadian spec models come with the professional rear entertainment system with two 9.2" high resolution screens and an additional iDrive controller (located in the center arm rest in the rear).

I have posted more information on this subject in this thread (at the bottom of page 5):

Hope this helps.
Actually XDrive is correct when it comes to the same internal car source. I may be one of the first on this forum to get the car in the US as well as to have the rear DVD player. I posted this same question in March 2009

The original post relates to playing 2 different movies without using another imput such as the iPod. The answer is that the rear 2 screens will always play the same thing from the same oem source in the car. The front screen, however, can watch a different movie, while parked. To be honest, the reat DVD player is a bit complex and tricky with the menus and dvd playback. Not very user friendly.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
black07sport
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 Alpine White E92 M3

Thank you very much for the information, it really did help. I find it strange that Canadian models have very different packages than we do in the United States. If possible, can you please send me a build sheet describing each package? If not, that's ok too. Thanks guys!!
2005 Subaru WRX 400+ AWHP (sold)
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden View Post
That is not correct.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=15

This post shows a US spec F02 with a different DVD (and an iPod video) playing on each of the seperate screens.
Sorry hayden, I should have been more specific in my answer. However I believe the question was if a different movie could be watched on the left and right rear screens coming from the cars build in sources (e.g. DVD changer and DVD players).

See Spots answer above. Spot and I had discussed the same issue back in the spring time of 2009.

To clarify: In US spec cars, you can watch different sources on the rear screen but ONLY if you use one of the auxiliary inputs at the bottom of the rear console. For example, the right screen displays a movie from the DVD changer or rear DVD player and the left screen displays content from an external source like a portable DVD player, game console or iPod/iPhone.

In contrast, Canadian models can display a movie from the DVD Changer or rear DVD player say on the right screen and a different movie on the left screen from the DVD changer or rear DVD player. There are however limitations in the system:

If a movie is played on the left screen from the DVD changer, the right screen can either display the same but can NOT display a different movie from the DVD changer, it can however display a different movie from a different source. This of course is a limitation of the DVD changer rather than the displays as the DVD changer can only play one disc at a time.
You can also NOT display a movie on the rear screens that is playing in the dash mounted DVD player as well you can not display a movie on the front screen that is playing in the center console mounted (rear) DVD player. I have never used the auxiliary inputs in the back, so I do not know if you can actually feed a video signal into either the left or right auxiliary inputs in the back and watch the video on the front screen.

US models: To get a different movie playing on all 3 screens, you need to play a movie in the dash mounted DVD player on the front screen, a movie from the DVD changer on say the left rear screen and a movie from an external source like an iPod on the right screen.

Canadian models: To get a different movie playing on all 3 screens, you need to play a movie in the dash mounted DVD player on the front screen, a movie from the DVD changer on say the left rear screen and a movie from the rear DVD player on the right screen.

To recap:

Source ---> Screen ---> Viewable
---------------------------------
DVD CHANGER ---> FRONT ---> YES
DVD CHANGER ---> REAR ---> YES
DASH DVD ---> FRONT ---> YES
DASH DVD ---> REAR ---> NO
REAR DVD ---> FRONT ---> NO
REAR DVD ---> REAR ---> YES
REAR AUX ---> FRONT ---> (Unsure - not tested - but most likely not)
REAR AUX ---> REAR ---> YES

Hope all of this info helps.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0