BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

04-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #67
palpatine_us
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i

Promotions are usually "limited".
MSDs and Free Maintenance weren't going to last forever- BMW hit its sales target and is willing to take risks.
Now they'll try to make more- by giving less.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2017, 09:14 PM   #68
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I'll wait and see how many people who are threatening to go elsewhere (...for a direct BMW competitor) actually do it.
Audi - maybe if I wanted AWD but other than S5 the lineup is too round shaped.

MB - they keep raising the age minimum. It used to be 50 now I think it's at lest 55 or 60.

Appreciate 1
      04-17-2017, 09:24 PM   #69
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangquadcam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by geddylee View Post
They better start making better cars!
Exactly.

I purchased mine, so MSDs didn't matter.

But the combo of that, continued HORRIBLE steering (read any review of the new 5 Series), paying extra for what should be standard features on high end M cars, reduction of the ED discount, and a general move towards soft mainstream cars versus the "ultimate driving machine," and it gives me pause. The M2 seems to be the only remaining true drivers car. The M760 looks fabulous, but it's huge and expensive.

For the first time since 1995, and after 6 BMWs in row, I am a little disenchanted.

This is why I bought my 2017 M2 -
Attached Images

04-17-2017, 09:35 PM   #70
Stevens21234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 + 991.1 GT3

One thing I appreciated from C63s is there were less of them on the road. Anyone and their mother can rent a F80 for ~$900 or even less for a stripper. With that much saturation of supply, it hurts the BMW buyers.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 09:41 PM   #71
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Been talking to my dealer about what is going on. Says he has a guy who wants a 440 and he can't get it until August! Says you want an SUV? No biggie - want a car, not a priority for BMW. They have given up on being #1 in sales and want to focus on being #1 in profit. I think you are going to see more changes like this coming up.

I personally feel that if they don't change their priority on steering feel*, then none of us are really going to be buying or leasing BMWs anymore - so who cares what they charge!

*they have been quoted as saying their customers do not want or appreciate steering feel (or feedback) and so they are dialing that out of cars. Of course I can't find that quote right now
Here you go:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/steer-m...steering-feel/

"So the strongest demand we heard was, ‘Please reduce the steering effort.’ They seem to want more isolation.”
Wow - this is a super interesting interview with BMW. Based on the comments from the BMW driving dynamics expert, it appears that they truly don't understand what we mean by steering feel! Quite honestly, I think that my prior E90 had pretty decent steering "feel", and on top of that, the steering was not "heavy". In my book, you can have good steering feel along with reasonably "low" steering effort. We all need to spend some time sharing our thoughts with the BMW engineers on this subject.
Attached Images

04-17-2017, 09:45 PM   #72
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

So I'm kind of new to leasing so can someone explain to me how this multiple security deposit thing works and why it's such a bad thing BMW is getting rid of it?
Appreciate 1
AGAV13804.00
      04-17-2017, 10:30 PM   #73
I Love BMW's
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M BSM

Sorry to MSD's go. I've used them to lease my last 7 or 8 BMW's. Now I will be looking at other brands & offers. I'm a business man too, so I get maximizing profits - but not at the expense of alienating good long-term customers.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 10:39 PM   #74
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah3nyc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah3nyc View Post
I would just buy CPO Porsche honestly. No point to pay more to lease a BMW at that point. I know Porsches are more money. However rather than attack me. People should petition BMW.
I am not attacking you, I am stating a point that I don't think you have done the research on what a p car leases for. You cannot blame a company for trying to make as much as they can, unless they drag you out of the dealership and break your face, of course.
I know Porsche leases are 2x usually what BMW would. Financially to buy a new BMW doesn't make sense you'll lose 50% in 36 months. Therefore the numbers to buy cpo Porsche makes more sense as p cars hold don't depreciate at the rate bmws do.

Yes financially I don't think it will increase bmw dealer profits. If leases creep up in price why would someone go for a car that is same price as say other manufacturers say even Infiniti , Lexus, Mercedes, Audi all who offer msd. Bmw sales increased in past because they had offers that beat out brands like Toyota, Honda for leases. Let alone luxury car brands. I love bmw but they really aren't being wise. Lowering ED discount, eliminating certain maintenance coverages, not doing ude codes, not offering loyalty often. They have diluted the brand, made the cars way too soft and from business perspective they will pay the price. Cost conscious buyers will not lease from them again.
But that was never the point of a BMW, was it? If you were cost conscious, you'd get a Toyota. BMW makes you pay for almost everything except the air inside the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 10:39 PM   #75
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Oh No. Now you have to buy a car because you actually like it or because it serves your needs.

BMW's residuals have been inflated for years. I was under miles on my F30, got LMF at buy rate, tax credits and I was still negative $8k at termination.

You compare the residuals to what they got for off lease at the auctions you can see why they'd get more realistic with the residuals.

I think it's great actually. Refocus on making better products and earn the client, not buy it with special lease rates or inflated residuals.
Appreciate 3
spuntyb4051.50
CSanto633.50
      04-17-2017, 10:42 PM   #76
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

I've been looking for excuses to buy a secondhand 991 C2S, but with my lease of just $670 per month (65% residual, ED, MSDs, loyalty) I could never bring myself to accept essentially twice the payment.

But if a new lease next year will get to the $1k mark, it may be a smaller and easier to swallow jump to that Porsche.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      04-17-2017, 11:00 PM   #77
imahobo
Private
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, 991TT

Mercedes, here I come after lease expiration.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 11:38 PM   #78
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

This is a bummer. It is true that BMW leases are cheaper than other brands. There have been times I've wanted to stray from BMW for Audi, MB, Porsche, Land Rover, etc, but I always came back to BMW because of the value. New BMW's are no longer the special cars that they once were. I am not willing to pay more for a BMW than a competitor. I'm not even willing to pay the same for a BMW as a competitor. Why? Because I've owned a lot of BMW's, the company is doing nothing to reward loyalty, and I'd like to try some other brands. I'll be sad to say goodbye to BMW when my current leases are up, but I'm looking forward to a new brand.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 11:42 PM   #79
shatty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 6MT Alpine White

Both of my brothers are in BMWs. They both take advantage of the MSDs. They have been for the past 10 years. Looks like they will be looking at other options also. One of the main reasons they stay with BMW is because of the MSD.
      04-18-2017, 12:32 AM   #80
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016-X5M 2018-M4 Comp 2024-X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djvolume View Post
Although I'm a bummer fan, This would be an amazing opportunity for Mercedes to acquire customers if they play their cards right
It's funny that you mentioned Merc. Wife and I sat in a few this weekend at the NY auto show. Both of us kinda liked a few models. C63s AMG was pretty sweet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster%20Yoda View Post
Quote:
Although I'm a bummer fan, This would be an amazing opportunity for Mercedes to acquire customers if they play their cards right
It's funny that you mentioned Merc. Wife and I sat in a few this weekend at the NY auto show. Both of us kinda liked a few models. C63s AMG was pretty sweet.

And here is another reason to go to mb....
      04-18-2017, 12:34 AM   #81
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
BMW is losing its edge over the other Germans by their own doing. ED discount is less. Maintenance is worse (no brakes). No MSDs. Shitty residuals. Wife and I are gonna take a hard look at some of the other brands when the time comes. This wouldn't have crossed our minds a year or 2 ago. We've had a long run of BMWs that might be ending.
There is zero customer appreciation from BMWNA or the dealers, which put it nicely are crap! I WONDER IF ANY OF BMWNA TOP MANAGERS WOULD ACTUALLY READ SOME FEEDBACK FROM THIER CUSTOMERS

Ps.
Did I say crap?

Pss.
DEALERS ARE CLUELESS AND ZERO CUSTOMER SERVICE. If you ever to buy one in the philly area avoid Thompson at all cost, they banned me from servicing my cars because I demanded for the problems to be fixed correctly. When I called bmwna, they basically said "they can do whatever they want" I've owned multiple bmws f02, f06, f15, f85. And the service they gave me was worse then a used car dealer at a corner of the worst crack dealing street.
      04-18-2017, 12:46 AM   #82
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep

So here is an idea, and I'm just throwing it out there, who would want to start a petition to raise all of our concerns as customers and send it to BMWNA, in sure if we have a good amount of people they will at least hear us out (doubt anything will change) but it doesn't cost anything to try
      04-18-2017, 12:55 AM   #83
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterP View Post
Oh No. Now you have to buy a car because you actually like it or because it serves your needs.

BMW's residuals have been inflated for years. I was under miles on my F30, got LMF at buy rate, tax credits and I was still negative $8k at termination.

You compare the residuals to what they got for off lease at the auctions you can see why they'd get more realistic with the residuals.

I think it's great actually. Refocus on making better products and earn the client, not buy it with special lease rates or inflated residuals.
Great post

Not to mention the maintenance plan, which everyone here is jumping on the negativity band wagon about here, has zero effect on the majority of leases. Most people don't need brake replacement during their lease term. The fact that replacement isn't covered isn't even an honorable mention in my book. Why pay for what you don't need? The fact is people complained about brake dust, so BMW changed the pad composition and they last longer, with less dust. For those that do want to have the wearables added in, it's around $1k to extend to 4/50 as it used to be. Still the cheapest upgrade on the market, while costing less than having the brakes done and an extra year of maintenance plan. It also still the best value in a complimentary maintenance plan. Do you research before complaining people.

Those complaining about their leases going up 30% every month aren't very good at basic math. Think you get a better value at the Porsche store? Go run a lease on a 911 equipped the way you want one, and report. You may want to be seated when you do this, especially when you add some decent equipment. Don't forget to check your residuals there guys and gals.
Appreciate 1
Blubaron791430.50
      04-18-2017, 01:05 AM   #84
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
There is zero customer appreciation from BMWNA or the dealers, which put it nicely are crap! I WONDER IF ANY OF BMWNA TOP MANAGERS WOULD ACTUALLY READ SOME FEEDBACK FROM THIER CUSTOMERS

Ps.
Did I say crap?

Pss.
DEALERS ARE CLUELESS AND ZERO CUSTOMER SERVICE. If you ever to buy one in the philly area avoid Thompson at all cost, they banned me from servicing my cars because I demanded for the problems to be fixed correctly. When I called bmwna, they basically said "they can do whatever they want" I've owned multiple bmws f02, f06, f15, f85. And the service they gave me was worse then a used car dealer at a corner of the worst crack dealing street.
If your service was that bad, why buy more cars? Why not go to another dealer? If BMW did read Internet forums for feedback, I doubt very seriously that the feedback they would value the most is from posts that have the caps lock on, p.s. and crap as its highlights.

Your posts are like teenagers threatening to commit suicide. It's just a cry out for attention because you're feeling insecure or neglected. Maybe it's because your girl or boyfriend dumped you, or your parents took away your video games or car keys. If you were serious, you would move on and satisfy your need to replace your current vehicle with another brand you feel valued your business in the moment. You wouldn't be on a random forum complaining about everything under the sun and allowing this to consume your evening.
Just my .02
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 03:02 AM   #85
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Bought mine for the long haul with extended warranty. I do agree that maybe BMWs pushing people to buy it more so than leasing them... because of an pre-owned inventory glut.
      04-18-2017, 04:39 AM   #86
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Good glad it's gone maybe it'll keep people away and values will go back out because they aren't handing out cars to everyone and their mothers
Appreciate 2
JTO245246.50
      04-18-2017, 05:49 AM   #87
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterP View Post

+1

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 07:31 AM   #88
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysspl View Post
Bought mine for the long haul with extended warranty. I do agree that maybe BMWs pushing people to buy it more so than leasing them... because of an pre-owned inventory glut.
I just don't believe people that lease will just start buying them so if that is BMWs plan it will probably fail. People lease these cars (or at least people like me) because it makes more financial sense long term considering we don't want to drive a car "for the long haul". I think this is just BMW tacking on some extra profit in every lease minus any sales they lose. Someone must have done some math and said overall we'll come out ahead. Time will tell.

I've always leased my cars because I pile on miles (15-17k a year) and don't want to own and realize the real depreciation of a car like this. Add in not having to worry about devaluation due to getting into a fender bender along the way, and my desire to drive something shiny and new often, wanting to keep my money making money, and buying just isn't on the table for me. The MSDs along with some other key discounts (Fleet, UDE) and some decent negotiating were key for me. I got to drive some nice cars, and not having to feel guilty about it.

I'm not saying I won't lease a BMW again (in reality the MSD for me was only worth about $50/mo) but for sure I will look around to see what else is out there more so than I did with my M3.
Appreciate 0