BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

07-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Podium finish for BMW Team RLL pairing Auberlen and Werner at Watkins Glen

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Podium finish for BMW Team RLL pairing Auberlen and Werner at Watkins Glen
COMMENTS

Munich (DE), 4th July 2016. BMW Team RLL drivers Bill Auberlen (US) and Dirk Werner (DE), racing the number 25 BMW M6 GTLM, finished third in Sunday’s six-hour race at Watkins Glen (US) for the pair’s second podium finish of the season. Teammates John Edwards (US) and Lucas Luhr (DE) finished eighth in the number 100 BMW M6 GTLM. Both cars completed 190 laps of the 3.4-mile, 11-turn Watkins Glen International circuit during the fifth round of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship (IWSC). Victory went to Ford.

The GTLM class headline in the Six Hours of the Glen was the battle between BMW and Ford. For virtually every lap of the race it was either a Ford or a BMW at the front of the field - usually separated by less than one second, even as the chequered flag signalled the end of the race.

Bobby Rahal, (Team Principal BMW Team RLL):

“It was a hard race. Bill and Dirk did a very good job, but it is clear that the Fords showed what they showed at Le Mans. They are currently the quickest cars out there. However, we gave them a run. We had a bad pit stop right there at the end with the number 100 car that took the wind out of our sails, so we were disappointed with that. It was still a good finish for the 25 car. We earned some good points and certainly when you consider how we ran at Laguna Seca this is a major improvement. On to Mosport.”

Bill Auberlen (Number 25 BMW M6 GTLM, 3rd place):

“That was a hard earned third. I have raced in this race since I was 18 years old and I have never had that clean a race. The others were never in our way and the whole team did a great job. The crew was flawless, the car was flawless and we are finding our way now in this championship.”

Dirk Werner (Number 25 BMW M6 GTLM, 3rd place):

“I am very happy with this podium, especially thinking of where we were at the last race and how hard we have worked to get back into a position where we are close to winning a race. The whole team made no mistakes, we had a clean weekend and made a lot of good decisions. I think that was a good race to get back into this championship after the long break.”

John Edwards (Number 100 BMW M6 GTLM, 8th place):

“I think we had one of the quickest cars save for the top two, but unfortunately every time we managed to claw our way back to the top five and get ourselves ready for a fight we had either bad luck or something else happened, so we would find ourselves back in P10. We came back through the field a couple of times, but it was pretty frustrating not to be able to capitalise on the speed of the car.”

Lucas Luhr (Number 100 BMW M6 GTLM, 8th place):

“For sure was very frustrating. Basically the season is continuing like it started and it seems we cannot get a break. In the middle stint we didn’t have the fastest car, but then twice there was something wrong at the pit stop, so twice we were dead last. At the end the car was quick, but from back there you cannot really fight. At least our sister car got a podium, so that is good for them, but we just need to keep on pushing, keep on fighting and hopefully one day the mishaps will end.”

BMW Team RLL at Watkins Glen

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #2
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Good job! Still is room for improvements!
Good luck in the next races!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 08:19 PM   #3
Luddy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xdrive EBII

This was the first live motorsport racing event I have ever been to. I had an absolute blast! I kept going to different corners to get pictures and saw the #25 in 1st for the GTLM class so many times as it passed. I was in the grove area for the final few minutes and was rooting for this car to overtake the Ford GT but alas it did not happen.

Anyway this event was a total blast. I want to go to more races.
I have 100's of pics to go through but here is one. They aren't as good as the pics in the OP. I need to get a press pass and a better lens for next time.

Appreciate 2
      07-04-2016, 09:12 PM   #4
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Ford out maneuvered them during the last 10 minutes, wasn't speed, was driver skill.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 10:58 PM   #5
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
I don't think so! Bill is very experienced racer and very good driver! Ford just had more pace in the end.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #6
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Ford out maneuvered them during the last 10 minutes, wasn't speed, was driver skill.
That was Joey Hand, former Team RLL driver. It was definitely a combination of skill and car, that Ford GT has now won 3 straight races now including LeMans. I'm sure IMSA will be coming after Ford with new BOP

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2016, 12:54 PM   #7
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Thrilled to see BMW on the podium again after the frustrations stemming from the tire change
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 06:30 PM   #8
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
I'm sure IMSA will be coming after Ford with new BOP
BoP hammer has dropped! IMSA even made an exception. Guess the gig is up on the sandbagging over in the Ford garage. They got their Le Mans class win, so now it's down to racing like the rest of the field.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/im...ahead-of-ctmp/
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 02:24 PM   #9
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Very glad to see podium finishes