BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

08-01-2016, 09:27 AM   #1
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
ROWE Racing BMW M6 GT3 celebrates overall win at 24-hour Spa-Francorchamps

BIMMERPOST NEWS
ROWE Racing BMW M6 GT3 celebrates overall win at 24-hour Spa-Francorchamps
COMMENTS
Name:  P90229367_highRes_28-07-2016-to-31-07-.jpg
Views: 4847
Size:  385.7 KB

Spa-Francorchamps (BE), 31st July 2016. The BMW M6 GT3 repeated last year’s success for its predecessor, the BMW Z4 GT3, by winning the 24 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps (BE). After 531 laps, the ROWE Racing car number 99, driven by Maxime Martin (BE), Philipp Eng (AT) and Alexander Sims (GB), crossed the finish line in first place. The trio clinched the 23rd victory overall for BMW in the endurance classic at the "Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps".

Local heroes Pascal Ickx (BE) and Gérard Langlois (BE) secured BMW's first triumph at the Ardennes marathon in a BMW 1800 TI/SA back in 1965. Nicky Catsburg (NL), Lucas Luhr (DE) and Markus Palttala (FI) scored victory with the BMW Z4 GT3 last season. Now its successor, the BMW M6 GT3, has also added its name to the list of winners of the 24-hour race in Spa-Francorchamps (BE) – and on its very first appearance.

Name:  P90229430_highRes_28-07-2016-to-31-07-.jpg
Views: 4133
Size:  633.4 KB

It was a race of highs, lows and a perfect finish for the victorious #99 BMW M6 GT3. In the initial phase in particular, yellow flags, a safety car phase lasting almost an hour and a lot of traffic in the pit lane kept mixing up the field. Martin, Sims and Eng were even outside the top 30 for a while. As the race went on, they were able to battle their way up through the field lap by lap. When night fell, the BMW M6 GT3 had established itself among the front-runners and led the field. The car entered the pits for a mandatory five-minute stop to change its brakes during a yellow flag phase. Afterwards, Sims, Martin and Eng continued to hold their ground among the front-runners and were in fourth place halfway through the race. They returned to first place in the early hours of the morning. Unperturbed by the changeable conditions, ROWE Racing brought home victory. The triumph was a particularly special experience for Belgian driver Martin at his home race in Spa-Francorchamps.

Name:  P90229425_highRes_28-07-2016-to-31-07-.jpg
Views: 4178
Size:  501.6 KB

Last year's winner Nick Catsburg (NL), with Stef Dusseldorp (NL) and Dirk Werner (DE), also drove a fantastic race in the car 98. ROWE Racing's second BMW M6 GT3 was in the top 10 for long periods of the race and also completed laps as the leader. Like their teammates in the sister car, Catsburg, Dusseldorp and Werner also made it through the night without incident. They were in 16th place at the halfway point, made it back into the top 10 with an outstanding display of driving, and established themselves in a strong position. Then, an hour and a half before the end of the race, the #98 BMW M6 GT3 suffered a problem with the clutch. Catsburg, Dusseldorp and Werner were forced to retire.

BMW DTM driver Martin Tomczyk (DE) in the #15 BMW M6 GT3 was also very unlucky. The German contested his first 24-hour race at the "Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps" for BMW Team Italia. Tomczyk, who drove the first stint, showed impressive pace right from the start. The BMW works driver started the race from 47th on the grid and delivered an impressive charging drive. At the end of his double stint, he handed over the BMW M6 GT3 that was contesting the Pro-Am class to Stefano Colombo (IT) in 16th place. Unfortunately, Tomczyk's performance went unrewarded: the team was forced to return the car to the garage after an accident in the early stages of the race. The marathon also came to an early end for Boutsen Ginion Racing; shortly after six in the morning, a technical defect forced the team to retire.

Quotes after the 24 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps.

Jens Marquardt (BMW Motorsport Director):
"Last year we bid farewell to the BMW Z4 GT3 with a win in Spa-Francorchamps. The fact that its successor, the BMW M6 GT3, was able to repeat this magnificent success in its first year in action is fantastic. Congratulations to the entire ROWE Racing team on their sensational overall win in Spa. The crew did as flawless a job and so did the drivers Maxime Martin, Philipp Eng and Alexander Sims in the cockpit – and they more than earned first place. With this success on its debut at the 24 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps, the BMW M6 GT3 proved its enormous potential yet again and showed that it is totally reliable and competitive. I feel particularly sorry for Nick Catsburg, Stef Dusseldorp and Dirk Werner. They drove a very good race before they were forced to retire their car an hour and a half before the end of the race. I would also like to highlight Martin Tomczyk's incredible display of driving, he did a fantastic job with BMW Team Italia. Martin went on an impressive pursuit at his first appearance in Spa; he and his team deserved to do well. It was also a shame for Boutsen Ginion Racing, who were not rewarded for their efforts in this race."

Maxime Martin (#99 BMW M6 GT3, ROWE Racing):
"I can't describe how I'm feeling. I've competed in the 24 Hours of Spa ten times now and have been in the lead, without winning, in the four previous races. I had a technical issue each time, and I was kind of expecting us to be unlucky again this year. The entire team did a flawless job. We didn't have a single problem in the entire race – we were consistently good. It was the best win of my career, alongside my successes in the DTM. When I embraced my father, I felt a surge of emotions. My family has won the race seven times now, that is simply sensational."

08-01-2016, 09:37 AM   #2
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Oh yeah!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Wow! Amazing win in an amazing track!
      08-01-2016, 04:55 PM   #4
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Eeeeeeeeeeepiiiiiiiiiic
      08-02-2016, 12:07 AM   #5
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Congratulations!

Great result. Keep them coming.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #6
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Pretty awesome to have back-to-back wins in two different cars. ROWE Racing ran an incredible race. Racing is often just as much about racing clean as it is racing fast. Spa is famous for tempting track limits, and there were plenty of penalties handed out for that (amongst other things). It's a shame the #98 car went out with a clutch issue, because Dirk and Stef were in contention as well.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 08:26 AM   #7
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Oh, and let's all collectively thumb our noses at AMG for getting busted with illegal timing in scrutineering.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 05:57 AM   #8
Bmwlmr99
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

Great news...very competitive race, yet the bmw m6 pulls it off against mercedes, Ferrari, Porsche and audi......yessss
Appreciate 0