BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

07-17-2014, 07:06 AM   #67
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai 302 View Post
I know about that and I'm pretty sure it won't compete with S400, S500, S63 etc. If anything it might compete with the S65 and similarly priced Bentleys just under the Rolls Royce Ghost. But no, if the 9er starts competing with the regular S class, the 7 series becomes obsolete and I don't think BMW would want that.
The proposal for the 9er is to compete against the high-end S-Klasse or Maybach models. Which are merely extended variants of the S-Klasse.
BMW just did not want to release a further extended 7er.

The 9er is an entirely individual concept that has been brought about because there are customers who want further exclusivity from BMW. Which was surprising to BMW that the brand can be stretched that far to build a car above the 7er.
If the 9er becomes a reality you won't be able to buy from any BMW Dealer , it will follow Rolls-Royce and be built and specified to order.
      07-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #68
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs down

Fail!
      07-17-2014, 05:42 PM   #69
needabeemer
Banned
Rep
Drives: ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
There is no cost-cutting here , in early prototypes fit and finish do not matter especially when the focus is on chassis or drivetrain development.
They may use the actual design but they are rapid produced parts which means quality is not an issue but to see if everything fits together and works. Later development models will indicate production specifications.

All Prototypes are hand built on a dedicated off-site production line in Munich.
Personally despite its quality the S-Klasse interior is too cluttered and looks like a 1980s home cinema the way the screens are stacked together.

The new BMW interior philosophy as introduced on the X5 and BMWi cars is to apply surfaces to accommodate next generation connected drive passenger display and extra minimalism to give the impression of a modern lounge. But keep that driver focused essence of a BMW. It also reduces many functions so that the driver can concentrate on the road.
It also allows extra space and more light into the cabin.

You have not seen the full picture yet.
nobody cares about "more light" and all that other nonsense. at the end of the day, the people have spoken. the overwhelming majority of comments in this thread as well as on other websites prove that this is simply a bad interior. bmw needs to get their act together because theyve already fallen behind this generation and looks like they will next gen too.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 06:17 PM   #70
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

If the entire car inside and out doesn't look like the 9 Series concept floating around (goofle it now) then Fail.
The new S Class had its eyes set on Bentley and Rolls Royce per their design team and engineers. I'd say they're waaaaaaaay ahead of bimmer and Audi today.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 08:47 AM   #71
Fanta
C
Canada
Rep
Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera

Quote:
The proposal for the 9er is to compete against the high-end S-Klasse or Maybach models. Which are merely extended variants of the S-Klasse.
BMW just did not want to release a further extended 7er.

The 9er is an entirely individual concept that has been brought about because there are customers who want further exclusivity from BMW. Which was surprising to BMW that the brand can be stretched that far to build a car above the 7er.
If the 9er becomes a reality you won't be able to buy from any BMW Dealer , it will follow Rolls-Royce and be built and specified to order.
Agree
As a BMW 7 Series owner, I like to drive my car and enjoy it.
Today car are like cellular phone; technology.
It is not just engine anymore, what kind of new technology can be offer; such as CF tube ....
We like to change a new car.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #72
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: dark-blue coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by needabeemer View Post
nobody cares about "more light" and all that other nonsense. at the end of the day, the people have spoken. the overwhelming majority of comments in this thread as well as on other websites prove that this is simply a bad interior. bmw needs to get their act together because theyve already fallen behind this generation and looks like they will next gen too.
you should try the new Mercedes C class interior-it fits like a glove; absolutely inviting; the 3/4 series looks like something from Soviet era in comparison.
and to think how sadly BMW finished; instead of making two versions of 3sedan (regular and the improved 4 Gran Coupe) they should concentrate on making one and that good; not to comment how badly was 3series GT executed (big potential-failed banana product).
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #73
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

benz s-class takes home the cake-o.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 11:34 PM   #74
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 M50i

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
I agree with everyone on the interior lagging the s. I sat in a new s and was absolutely blown away at how nice the interior was. I feel with even significant refinement on the current photos it's not even going to come near the "wow" factor I felt with the s. I could care less about carbon fiber compared to nicer seats and other interior finishes. Make the cost of the vehicle a result of luxury, not strictly performance
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #75
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

You do realise the interior is not even finished but using current and prototype parts to resemble a dashboard as they are more focused in developing the chassis at this point.

The new 7er interior is heavily influenced by the Vision Future Luxury Concept and features the passenger iDrive screen showcased on the Concept as well as a wider central screen in the centre and within the drivers view.
The 7ers bridge is to provide much minimalism as possible and Limit functions to the new generation of iDrive , Connected Drive , Augmented HUD and Voice command.
      08-09-2014, 08:09 PM   #76
puma1552
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 Mustang GT Premium

Quote:
They may use the actual design
Which is basically what everyone here is saying - that the design of the new 7 is extremely boring, mundane, and looks like a bottom rung 320i. Nobody here is talking about quality of materials, they are talking about the design, which looks like a complete failure for a $100k car. Everything BMW makes looks EXACTLY the same on the inside, and the interiors at this point are pretty dated. You buy a Merc, you get a different interior in every model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Personally despite its quality the S-Klasse interior is too cluttered and looks like a 1980s home cinema the way the screens are stacked together.

You have not seen the full picture yet.
Lol. We know you work for BMW so you have to defend everything the company does, but plain and simple you guys didn't do your homework here and the S-klasse is in a completely different league now and knocked it out of the park. The S-klasse is a luxury car. What's the 7 series now? It's too big and fat to be a driver's car, so I'm not sure how you can try and market it as anything other than the luxury car it should be, but seems not to be anymore - if it were, it wouldn't look like a 320i inside.

Sorry, but Mercedes flat-out outclassed you here, across the board:

By the way, there's a power extending footrest on that rear seat too, hot stone massagers, and the doors and armrests are even heated in this car. Better luck next time, BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 07:33 AM   #77
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
Which is basically what everyone here is saying - that the design of the new 7 is extremely boring, mundane, and looks like a bottom rung 320i. Nobody here is talking about quality of materials, they are talking about the design, which looks like a complete failure for a $100k car. Everything BMW makes looks EXACTLY the same on the inside, and the interiors at this point are pretty dated. You buy a Merc, you get a different interior in every model.

Lol. We know you work for BMW so you have to defend everything the company does, but plain and simple you guys didn't do your homework here and the S-klasse is in a completely different league now and knocked it out of the park. The S-klasse is a luxury car. What's the 7 series now? It's too big and fat to be a driver's car, so I'm not sure how you can try and market it as anything other than the luxury car it should be, but seems not to be anymore - if it were, it wouldn't look like a 320i inside.

Sorry, but Mercedes flat-out outclassed you here, across the board:

By the way, there's a power extending footrest on that rear seat too, hot stone massagers, and the doors and armrests are even heated in this car. Better luck next time, BMW.
Once again you miss the argument because there is nothing directly to compare with. All there is is prototypes versus a fully production specification.
Of course Mercedes had to progress after all their luxury brand Maybach failed against BMW's Rolls-Royce and they had to fill the gap whereas the S-Klasse is a sales success no one from Bentley or Rolls-Royce are "downsizing" its sales are due to people "upsizing".

Since BMW rely on Rolls-Royce for the high end luxury market. A 7er and a Rolls-Royce cannot compete with each other. A Rolls interior is a stately home. The all new BMW 7er is more of a modern minimalist lounge.
      08-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #78
puma1552
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 Mustang GT Premium

So now you are saying that the S competes with Rolls Royce?

Lol, tell that to the consumer, who sees a BMW flagship (7) and a Mercedes flagship (S), similar size, and similar price.

I highly doubt anyone really cross shops a Rolls Royce with an S class.

You can cry prototype all you want on the 7, but we all know it's going to look like the prototype. There is never and has never been a massive difference in design styling and feature styling between BMW's prototypes and their production versions.

I guess a 320i is a "modern lounge" too, lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #79
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Mercedes say the S-Klasse competes with Rolls-Royce.

The S-Klasse and 7er have always been different.

The S-Klasse is more to be driven with the owner in the rear being rejuvenated.

The 7er is to be driven more by the owner , which is why the 7er has always been the dynamic choice.
      08-13-2014, 10:43 AM   #80
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

Quote:

Lol, tell that to the consumer, who sees a BMW flagship (7) and a Mercedes flagship (S), similar size, and similar price.

I highly doubt anyone really cross shops a Rolls Royce with an S class.

You can cry prototype all you want on the 7, but we all know it's going to look like the prototype. There is never and has never been a massive difference in design styling and feature styling between BMW's prototypes and their production versions.

I think Scott got you there chief. While I agree that the S class will probably be superior to the 7er when the G11 is released, you cannot argue that the S and its upcoming variants (S- Pullman; S - Maybach) are trying to target the Rolls and VW's Bentley. I do wish them luck, but this has to be a failing proposition. Who in their right mind would want to be seen in a car costing 400K that looks exactly like a car costing 100K? As good as the S will be inside and out, if I wanted to make an appearance, I would choose Rolls/ Bentley all day every day
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #81
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:

He admitted that BMW needs a Rolls to compete with Mercedes S-Klasse, since BMW 7 series is just a stretched 3 series.
Speaking about the 3 series, its interior is far bellow the new C-Klasse.

The 3 series feels like a stretched 1series, when you change the seats from it into the new Mercedes C.(too narrow and cramped, plus the interior is even bellow the new VW Passat-EU version).
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 05:30 AM   #82
Hans_ACS
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 740d

Quote:
Originally Posted by OatmealRocks View Post
I think you don't realize the interior will not deviate much to the pics if at all. Also your point of them focusing on chassis is such a generalize statement with no facts to back it up. Pointless comment really .. I'll even go as far as betting you when official production pics are out. The interior will be the same as these pics. We can all look back to this post to show how much hot air you like to post.

Correct.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 03:19 AM   #83
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
We can all look back to this post to show how much hot air you like to post.
perfectly to the point!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 09:14 AM   #84
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I think you don't realize the interior will not deviate much to the pics if at all. Also your point of them focusing on chassis is such a generalize statement with no facts to back it up. Pointless comment really .. I'll even go as far as betting you when official production pics are out. The interior will be the same as these pics. We can all look back to this post to show how much hot air you like to post.
Challenge accepted.
Attached Images

09-01-2014, 08:06 AM   #85
Jai 302
Banned
Rep
Drives: F13 640i

Quote:
I don't know what you are implying with the highlighted sections with a pic of a finish treated plastic.

Post treatment in the plastics is not a drastic change in the fundamental and functional design. It is well plastic treatment. What you are stating from your previous posts is that they are concentrating on the chassis and interior have not been finalized. Maybe an extra button in the same foot print in the area of the controls. yah sure but I am speaking about the over design which you have dismissed.
I am not sure the exact phases in a manufacturing life cycle is but I would suspect at this point in time, the chassis have already been completed and interior would most likely be dependent on it.

Furthermore, historically all pictures shown with the interior spied shots on any other BMW vehicle have netted the same results. Which would explain why they are covering the interior because well.. the designed have been finalized and they do not want it to be shown. Sure, chrome or some type of treatment here, trim color there.. but the over design is there. For you to argue they are 'concentrating in the chassis' now is naive.

Hate to break it to you.. this close to the release they are working out the kinks of the car being driven and measure data points on the actual performance and behavior of the car, how it reacts to the roads and a bunch of other stuff we are not aware of.

However interior design at this stage is silly to even state as fact. It has been done earlier on in front of a computer monitor (way before they even fabricated a single part) and not wasted effort spent on fitting old interior parts until they figure that piece out later in a test car. Geezz i didn't realize how silly what you have said until I critically thought about your logic.
You had to write an essay to reply to 2 words of his, which were essentially a reply to another essay of yours. That sure says a lot about you.

Wait till the car is unveiled. Nobody is forcing you to buy it. If you're so madly in love with the new S-class, put your money where your mouth is and buy it. As far as I'm concerned I'm willing to give Scott a chance because he contributes more to these forums than you ever will.

FWIW the interior design of the 6 series is very well executed and I'm sure BMW will do a better job for it's flagship. But yeah as always, 'haters gonna hate'.

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #86
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

All I mentioned was the interior finish is not final. And that there are prototype elements being used because the specifics are not necessary.

Believe it or not the finished car is more upscale than you think when the full detail is added. The added segment was to prove this is not the final result.
And that additional detail will highlight the interior.

And when the leather , metallic detail finish and passenger display is added it will look like what a 7er should be without encroaching on the stately-like interiors used to distinguish a Rolls-Royce from a BMW.
      09-03-2014, 05:40 AM   #87
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
All I mentioned was the interior finish is not final. And that there are prototype elements being used because the specifics are not necessary.

Believe it or not the finished car is more upscale than you think when the full detail is added. The added segment was to prove this is not the final result.
And that additional detail will highlight the interior.

And when the leather , metallic detail finish and passenger display is added it will look like what a 7er should be without encroaching on the stately-like interiors used to distinguish a Rolls-Royce from a BMW.

Scott, are these the production tail lights and if so aren't they positioned lower than it appeared on your sketches?

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #88
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
Scott, are these the production tail lights and if so aren't they positioned lower than it appeared on your sketches?

Its the angle of the photograph and the movement of the car.
If you look closer you can see the lights are at the top at the lid of the bootlid.
And if you look down you can see the depth between the bumper and the bottom edge of the taillight to be very deep. As you can barely see where it meets the wheel arch.

I am sure more pictures will come available soon, as the 5er and new MINI countryman are now arriving publicly on the roads of Munich.