BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-09-2017, 06:55 AM   #45
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Lost in all this talk about autonomous vehicles is the motorcycle component of vehicles on the road. If you thought there's that fringe of car owners who are fanatical, that's nothing compared to people on 2 wheels.
Appreciate 2
Viffermike1753.00
Efthreeoh16946.00
      11-09-2017, 08:14 AM   #46
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Lost in all this talk about autonomous vehicles is the motorcycle component of vehicles on the road. If you thought there's that fringe of car owners who are fanatical, that's nothing compared to people on 2 wheels.
Right, and an autonomous motorcycle wouldn't make sense
      11-09-2017, 08:19 AM   #47
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM5 View Post
would be virtually impossible to make.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 10:21 AM   #48
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
What makes you think my frame of reference is the Netherlands? I work internationally.
Because your avatar says "Amsterdam" and the flag displayed is Holland's. Also note that I said you "live" there, not that you "work" there (though that's typically assumed).

Just sayin'.

Quote:
Oh boy HOWdy are you right about that. Though: motorcycles are available now with gyroscopes that keep them from tipping over when parked, and BMW claims its most recent BMW Motorrad concept doesn't even require a rider to wear a helmet. I'm skeptical as hell about the latter (I'm sorry, but no open motorcycle can keep a bee from bruising your forehead, putting your eye out, or diving kamikaze-style into your throat at 60 mph), but seriously: were either of those things even conceivable 10 years ago on a bike?
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      11-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #49
vinylengraver
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
would be virtually impossible to make.
I beg to differ.
They are getting close:

Just not close enough.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 11:21 AM   #50
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylengraver View Post
I beg to differ.
They are getting close:

Just not close enough.
But thats not really an autonomous motorcycle vehicle, as there is no human passenger. Its a motorcycle with robotized passenger.
With a motorcycle, shifting of the body weight is a big part in the steering.
I'd like to see how a motorcycle will be driving autonomously with a passenger onboard that doesnt shift its weight in the corners, or even shifting his weight the opposite way (which would make the motorcycle really unstable), and still manages to steer around corners on higher speeds.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5139.00
Efthreeoh16946.00
      11-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #51
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Because your avatar says "Amsterdam" and the flag displayed is Holland's. Also note that I said you "live" there, not that you "work" there (though that's typically assumed).

Just sayin'.

Oh boy HOWdy are you right about that. Though: motorcycles are available now with gyroscopes that keep them from tipping over when parked, and BMW claims its most recent BMW Motorrad concept doesn't even require a rider to wear a helmet. I'm skeptical as hell about the latter (I'm sorry, but no open motorcycle can keep a bee from bruising your forehead, putting your eye out, or diving kamikaze-style into your throat at 60 mph), but seriously: were either of those things even conceivable 10 years ago on a bike?
I recently had that very thing happen to me. I didn't have my riding leather zipped all the way up at my neck. Something smacked me near my collar bone and I felt this immediate excruciating stinging pain that wouldn't go away. When I got to my destination and took off my leathers, a bee fell out. Stung the heck out of me.

As far as technology and motorcycles, it's amazing what's possible today. Running an S1000RR on the track has simply been amazing with the clutchless up/downshifts, ABS, traction control, and computer controlled suspension damping. But with all of these advances, it still requires a lot of rider input which still makes motorcycle riding extremely engaging. More than with driving the most sought after super car.

I don't see how anyone that rides even casually will allow motorcycle riding to be autonomous without putting up a serious fight. If autonomous motorcycles are delayed in rolling out, how will manually driven motorcycles be accommodated with the autonomous vehicle infrastructure?
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      11-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #52
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
But thats not really an autonomous motorcycle vehicle, as there is no human passenger. Its a motorcycle with robotized passenger.
With a motorcycle, shifting of the body weight is a big part in the steering.
I'd like to see how a motorcycle will be driving autonomously with a passenger onboard that doesnt shift its weight in the corners, or even shifting his weight the opposite way (which would make the motorcycle really unstable), and still manages to steer around corners on higher speeds.
You got that right about body position being a major influence over how a bike handles and turns.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 11:43 AM   #53
vinylengraver
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I remember reading somewhere that "if the motorcycle was invented today it would be outlawed tomorrow".
So in light of recent advances... let's enjoy while we can.
I know I am.
Attached Images

Last edited by vinylengraver; 11-09-2017 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #54
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Unless driving is outlawed globally i don't see the market accepting the change naturally.

What WILL happen is that eventually someone will admit they cannot get full autonomy working with other drivers on the road so it will only work if all the cars are talking to each other and there is no driver, which right now no one wants to admit but it clearly true.
And this is why autonomous vehicles will never happen. The cost of conversion far outstrips the GDP of any nation that will try to implement it. Any transition that includes humans in the loop will cause havoc on the roads and the death rate will increase rather than decrease, which will drive citizen and legal outcry to abandon the idea. That, and in the US at least, people will have a difficult time giving up the freedom of anonymous travel.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #55
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL. Not with my ass on it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 09:27 AM   #56
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I can totally see current HOV lanes and possibly even left most lanes of interstates being given over to autonomous cars in the near future. Even giving heavily trafficked routes over exclusively to self driven cars would allow for fewer traffic lights or stop signs and significantly speed up traffic flow. Hell, unlike an American driver, autonomous cars will even be able to handle traffic circles.

Meanwhile, the few holdouts for driving their own car will likely get squeezed to specific secondary routes and racetracks, where they can drive their flappy paddle, stability controlled, anti collision cars around on their "own" and feel manly.
Have you ever seen an HOV lane in any city/suburban area other than a freeway? I haven't. Any road that has a cross street (with or without a traffic signal) does not have HOV lanes. Autonomous travel only on HOV interstate lanes is a very small component of the overall traffic environment and would not be economically viable to produce vehicles and the infrastructure to control them.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 09:39 AM   #57
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I remember reading somewhere that "if the motorcycle was invented today it would be outlawed tomorrow".
So in light of recent advances... let's enjoy while we can.
I know I am.
I'll admit, I'm stale on current bikes (for the past decade ), so embarrassingly I have to ask what Duck is that. I checked Ducati's website and didn't see it.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 10:15 AM   #58
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'll admit, I'm stale on current bikes (for the past decade ), so embarrassingly I have to ask what Duck is that. I checked Ducati's website and didn't see it.
Looks like a Sport Classic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducati_SportClassic
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 10:27 AM   #59
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Brother. Neat bike.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #60
vinylengraver
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
2007 Ducati GT1000
Modern bike with classic looks.
Love it.

Last edited by vinylengraver; 11-12-2017 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #61
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
2007 Ducati GT1000
Modern bike with classic looks.
Love it.
Looks sweet. I'll never forget the first time I heard a Desmo valvetrain. That and the Honda 1st gen VFR 750 gear-driven. Those two are my favorite motorcycle engines to listen to.
Appreciate 0