BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

05-08-2018, 10:05 AM   #1
randy1911
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1997 740il

Exclamation Need the forums help on a 2016 750

Hey every one my name is randy and Im in the U.S,
Im fairly young I guess im 39, I got my first bmw as one of the best hand me downs ever, a 1997 740il i got it in 2006 it was 9 years old but it only lasted until 2008 before both the trans and the engine started to fail at about 207,000 miles.

I am now a little older and although I have had alot of cars nothing touched the enjoyment of that bmw, nothing touched the pain either but it was an old car. I want a 2016 750i xdrive now that the values are coming down I can afford one. Im buying a 100k mile warranty with either bmw or endurance when I purchase within the next 90 days. Im just waiting on the exact color to show up anywhere in the US Ill fly to it and ship it to my home. I love the white or blue with the cognac interior. I need your help with things to look out for. Im trying to purchase one with under 40,000 miles and I am planning to keep it for 8 years as my main luxury car but not a daily more like 3 times a week 10k miles a year car. I will then hand it down to my son when hes 20 hopefully I have it that long and he can get at least a year out of it as I have in my youth.

My two questions for the forum is what are some warning signs to look out for I know 7 series reliability are hit and miss recently but once you drive one its love. What are some things to look out for?

Second question I like my big cars fast, I have had a 2012 Chrysler 300 SRT and I currently have a 2014 Cadillac XTS V tuned to 500 hp with a custom tune, cold air and exhaust. When I get my 750i the only thing Im doing to it is a Racechip gts black https://www.racechip.us/shop/bmw/7-s...-479lb-ft.html
I believe this will get me to the numbers I need and it will also be easy to remove when bringing it in for service. Im very meticulous with my vehicles as I have a passion for big fast cars and I understand they need alot of attention especially bmws, I have studied Mike Miller old school maintenance, so does anyone have any knowledge on the race chip gts black. I have a friend that has a 2014 550 with a race chip and he swears by it. Does anyone here have any input or advice

Because Im a almost a bmw rookie, Im humble and I will listen to all comments and help from the bmw veterans.

Thanks in advance, cant wait for your responses.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #2
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Hi randy1911, welcome to the forum and to the 7 subforum, hope to hear more from you and your own observations / experiences with time with your latest 7...

As to your question, I don't personally have experience with the racechip GTS black (although I have also considered it), I note that SOURCE1064 is also a 7 series owner and they have installed it, which you can read about here in this post

Hopefully they can help or answer your questions (you may need to PM them).

You may also wish to search the forums (all models) for this product and see if any other hits turn up that you could then ask those users as well?

The previous generation v8 (on the F01 models from IIRC 2009 to 2015 or thereabouts) was quite poor for faults and issues apparently but I've not seen anything yet about the latest iteration for the G series, I've got a diesel v6 so can't comment on the petrol 8 cylinder model but again hopefully someone here will point out anything to watch for or know about. Generally, the v8 models in the US are quite popular and I would have thought there would be a thread or posts lamenting the issues if there were any with the latest v8 but no news is hopefully good news in this regard.

In terms of long term use and issues, the amount of technology in the G series 7 is quite a lot and you'll just want to monitor for any signs of issues with any technology or electrics as time goes on, currently I don't see any issues with the new tech that are reported but it is still early days (they've only been out since Oct . 2015) so usually this will start showing up after 3 years if at all and certainly after 5 years (from previous 7's experience and posts)...Hope this helps.

I'd certainly be aware that many people do like the 7 and some are more willing to do some modifications themselves, and so if you are buying a 7, do consider the history and ideally check the VIN decoder (you can google to find sites you can check for free) and compare that to what the seller is offering (if you should ever want to buy privately instead of an approved used model from a BMW dealer)...If you are buying from BMW then you should have some safety net in terms of 12 months or more of them covering any issues anyway, regardless of any warranty (from BMW or otherwise).

Once again, welcome to the forum and welcome back to the 7, they are a lovely car and I hope you are pleased with whatever choice you make.
      05-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #3
randy1911
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1997 740il

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Hi randy1911, welcome to the forum and to the 7 subforum, hope to hear more from you and your own observations / experiences with time with your latest 7...

As to your question, I don't personally have experience with the racechip GTS black (although I have also considered it), I note that SOURCE1064 is also a 7 series owner and they have installed it, which you can read about here in this post

Hopefully they can help or answer your questions (you may need to PM them).

You may also wish to search the forums (all models) for this product and see if any other hits turn up that you could then ask those users as well?

The previous generation v8 (on the F01 models from IIRC 2009 to 2015 or thereabouts) was quite poor for faults and issues apparently but I've not seen anything yet about the latest iteration for the G series, I've got a diesel v6 so can't comment on the petrol 8 cylinder model but again hopefully someone here will point out anything to watch for or know about. Generally, the v8 models in the US are quite popular and I would have thought there would be a thread or posts lamenting the issues if there were any with the latest v8 but no news is hopefully good news in this regard.

In terms of long term use and issues, the amount of technology in the G series 7 is quite a lot and you'll just want to monitor for any signs of issues with any technology or electrics as time goes on, currently I don't see any issues with the new tech that are reported but it is still early days (they've only been out since Oct . 2015) so usually this will start showing up after 3 years if at all and certainly after 5 years (from previous 7's experience and posts)...Hope this helps.

I'd certainly be aware that many people do like the 7 and some are more willing to do some modifications themselves, and so if you are buying a 7, do consider the history and ideally check the VIN decoder (you can google to find sites you can check for free) and compare that to what the seller is offering (if you should ever want to buy privately instead of an approved used model from a BMW dealer)...If you are buying from BMW then you should have some safety net in terms of 12 months or more of them covering any issues anyway, regardless of any warranty (from BMW or otherwise).

Once again, welcome to the forum and welcome back to the 7, they are a lovely car and I hope you are pleased with whatever choice you make.
First I want to say I really appreciate your post and thank you for taking time out your day and responding. This is my first bmw Im purchasing not given to me and I mainly stuck to American cars previously but Im trying to go into the german cars head first. Im really looking forward to this 7 series and I will try and connect with the guy in the link thanks for that too before I purchase the gts black.
Appreciate 0