BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

10-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
cpdp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Alpina B7 vs Audi S8

Hey there,

MotorTrend just compared two super sedans - the Alpina B7 head2head vs the Audi S8. Nice review, worth watching.

http://youtu.be/oT0r6xQJU_4
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpdp View Post
Hey there,

MotorTrend just compared two super sedans - the Alpina B7 head2head vs the Audi S8. Nice review, worth watching.

The trend continues as Audi spends more money towards performance R&D, while BMW spends more R&D focusing on the driving experience/comfort/material/design. Both cars lied on the dyno, Audi clearly underrated the crank output of the S8 and Alpina seems to overrate the crank output. Don't get me wrong, the S8 performance is impressive (nearly GTR territory).

Any company can make a fast car (i.e. CTS V, Mustang Shelby GT500, ZR1). People don't buy Ferraris and Lambos because they're the fastest for the money, at this price range it's all about the prestige, driving pleasure, and perfection. The Mustang Shelby GT500 can put the best Aston Martin to shame, but would an AM owner switch to a mustang because it's faster? No.

I also find it annoying that Cadillac ATS keeps advertising that it's better than a BMW 3 series (328i??). Or Lexus GS claims that it's better than a 5 series. Better in what ways? If you make good products, people will buy. No need to bash and Audi is notorious for ads that it's better than BMW. The last one I've heard compared the Audi S4 with the BMW 335i, really? It's a bit turn off just like Politics.

In short, this is an exclusive market segment. People who buy the Alpina B7 enjoy the rich history of Alpina and BMW, wanting to experience the latest that this partnership has to offer. BMW stops making the M7, which is probably a good business move as prestigious luxury sedan buyers don't want stiff suspension and a million HP under the hood.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
Nosferatu
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpina B7

I have my first B7 on order after three consecutive S8's. While I am disappointed by the review, I am dying to experience the Alpina and think that the B7 is far nicer looking than the new S8. I think my current 2009 S8 looks better, especially with the V10 growl.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
The trend continues as Audi spends more money towards performance R&D, while BMW spends more R&D focusing on the driving experience/comfort/material/design. Both cars lied on the dyno, Audi clearly underrated the crank output of the S8 and Alpina seems to overrate the crank output. Don't get me wrong, the S8 performance is impressive (nearly GTR territory).

Any company can make a fast car (i.e. CTS V, Mustang Shelby GT500, ZR1). People don't buy Ferraris and Lambos because they're the fastest for the money, at this price range it's all about the prestige, driving pleasure, and perfection. The Mustang Shelby GT500 can put the best Aston Martin to shame, but would an AM owner switch to a mustang because it's faster? No.

I also find it annoying that Cadillac ATS keeps advertising that it's better than a BMW 3 series (328i??). Or Lexus GS claims that it's better than a 5 series. Better in what ways? If you make good products, people will buy. No need to bash and Audi is notorious for ads that it's better than BMW. The last one I've heard compared the Audi S4 with the BMW 335i, really? It's a bit turn off just like Politics.

In short, this is an exclusive market segment. People who buy the Alpina B7 enjoy the rich history of Alpina and BMW, wanting to experience the latest that this partnership has to offer. BMW stops making the M7, which is probably a good business move as prestigious luxury sedan buyers don't want stiff suspension and a million HP under the hood.
+1

those companies are just pathetic for bashing bmw.
      11-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

The sound of that v10 S8 was impressive indeed!
I would like to see some CCB for Alpina, at least as an option!
Prevoius S8 had them available and the stopping power was very good, moreover I was close to have an accident when I switched to my car
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
Epiplatys
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M760Li 2018

The previous generation S8 indeed had a nicer exterior than both F01 and the new S8. The new S8 has a (even) nicer interior. While the F01 is great, I also have to admit that both S8 generation interiors are nicer than the F01.