BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

12-21-2016, 12:59 PM   #1
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G11

Reliablity Thread!!!!

Any one got one - I am toying with a 2014 / 2015

Worried about rumours of it being a right unreliable concern....

I thought BMW were pretty good at reliablity or at least fixing stuff .... but also read the BMW was the most unreliable car ever...
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 04:43 PM   #2
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

That went swimmingly didnt it
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 05:02 PM   #3
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbitch View Post

I thought BMW were pretty good at reliablity or at least fixing stuff .... but also read the BMW was the most unreliable car ever...
I've got an N52 f10. the f10 is similar to the 7 series you are looking at. reliability wise, its either hit or miss with these cars. mine has been super solid with no problems to report at 67k, but others have not been so lucky with random shit to replace and all sorts of electrical issues. i recommend you also stay away from the 750i - the v8 is nice but full of problems. Id say go for a 740i - the n55 is pretty solid but the 7 series is much too heavy for that engine. on that note, perhaps a 535i would be your best bet. its really not much different from the 7 series.. the interior is basically the same apart from some minor interior material differences.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 03:59 PM   #4
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok thanks man
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 10:31 AM   #5
frieseke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 750li

I've had my 750li for about 5 years now. When I first got it I believed it was the biggest lemon I've ever owned. It was in and out of the shop for the first year and a half all the time and at when they finally got it fixed in the first 16 months of ownership it had spent 11 full months in the shop (305 days!). However, after they fixed the gremlins with the machine it has been fairly good ever since. The biggest problem with it since then is the battery. I live in Saskatchewan where rather than driving the car like they do in Germany with lots of speed and elevation changes where the car is actually driven, we actually do a lot more cruising. I tend to drive my car 200-800 km in a drive and I'll hit the brakes maybe one or two times during that. This makes the battery never really recharge itself because it draws its power from regenerative braking or whatever else magic goes on behind the scenes, but the alternator is just not able to up the charge on the battery with normal driving.

The battery being low on charge causes other gremlins to creep in. Sometimes my check engine light will come on when its particularly cold out. I believe its because the engine doesn't have enough charge to fully complete the diagnosis that it does when it gets turned on. Other times the radio will reset itself because of lack of charge or the clock will reset, or the fans won't spin in the interior, or the interior lights won't turn on, etc. But as long as you keep the machine fully charged by using a battery charger its usually pretty good.

A few days ago I drove 2000 km in one days. I couldn't imagine a better car for doing it. When I got out of the machine at my destination I was relaxed, alert and most importantly able to spend some time with the people I was in the rush to go meet.

That's the trick with these cars! They will let you go out and make stories! I had a 1999 540i that I put on 440,000km from new and the trips with my family, the trips without my family, the friends that I love, the friends that I hate; those are the reasons to buy a car like this. If you just want to get transportation don't get the 7, get a normal car that isn't as expensive and doesn't have the quirks. If you want to have a machine that becomes part of your soul get the BMW and accept that it will have problems but the memories they make will make the problems acceptable to have.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 06:26 PM   #6
tidal k
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f01 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbitch View Post

If you're looking at 2014-2015.. the engines within the 750 got a technical update, thus N63tu. Haven't really heard of any problems for these cars.

The problem motor is the one I got.. N63 (found in the 750i f01 or other "50" models fitted with the v8 TT). Although there are horror stories out there, N63 motors were given a "customer care package" from BMW... basically a recall titled something else.

Areas of concern for the f01: fuel injectors, fuel pump, timing chain, oil, and some other stuff I'm not mentioning.

Personally I have experienced:
1) "drivetrain malfunction" light
2) hesitation at Idle

I have been changing my oil every 5k, fuel injector cleaner every other fill up, and so far, symptoms have been put to rest. Although with any car, theres always going to be something to look after, the N63 is a bit more finicky.

In short, pull the trigger on that 2014-15.. you should be safe. Just be wary of frequent oil consumption.

Hope this helps...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 05:17 AM   #7
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

Well in my other thread it seems the F02 actually will loose more money than the G11... which was my other concern!!!
Appreciate 0