BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

10-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #23
Chris_G30
Christo
Germany
Rep
Drives: G30 530xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
Only a half serious question here, but over on the 6 forum I've been thinking of getting rid of my 6 and I've always loved big executive saloons. Someone said they'd get a 7 if they were 50. I don't really care what people think and I personally think I quite suit big cars like this, however it got me thinking.

What age, if any would you think is the "right" age for a 7?

I'm 33 by the way, and have spent the last day trying to work out how I can get into a G11 for reasonable cost!
Get it life is short :-D
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 09:03 AM   #24
Dash52
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 740i Xdrive

You like it and you can afford it...who cares what anyone thinks?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 05:10 AM   #25
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Quote:
Only a half serious question here, but over on the 6 forum I've been thinking of getting rid of my 6 and I've always loved big executive saloons. Someone said they'd get a 7 if they were 50. I don't really care what people think and I personally think I quite suit big cars like this, however it got me thinking.

What age, if any would you think is the "right" age for a 7?

I'm 33 by the way, and have spent the last day trying to work out how I can get into a G11 for reasonable cost!
To answer your question first: the age when one wants luxury as their first criteria, usually after they have the need for speed out of their system.

But this is really only half the answer here in the UK, where BMW's are one of the most common brands on the roads...A 7 is still quite rare to see on UK roads and so a way to stand out a bit as well as being the choice for those looking to have great understated luxury, loads of technology and a bit of a sporty drive when your inner child comes to the fore!

I find the traffic density and increasing idiocy of the driving standard here in the UK are far less of a hassle when I'm cocooned in the 7 with some music going and adaptive cruise set...let the boy racers go by or cut you up...just smile as you are in comfort and enjoying your ride.

I'm late forties now and bought my first 7 while in my 40's but that means it just took me longer to get any need for speed out of my system before I realised that time is the one true luxury, and what better way to drive around the UK than in a 7? I tend to take off a bit earlier these days and just set the cruise for the speed limit and put some tunes on and enjoy a stress free drive now instead of trying to get there hell bent for leather and saving a few minutes but notching up the stress factor...

As to getting a 7 in the UK...buying brand new is a great option if you want/need to be the first registered keeper (due to 0% finance and dealer contribution of nearly 10k) but do consider a slightly used car as there are quite a few of those first G series 7's coming on the market now and decently loaded...especially the G12 models (due to the fact no one wants to try and find the parking space for the extra length or deal with the short turn radius of many NCP or other brand car parks these days)...You can generally talk to the dealers and get them to go down on price or on the finance interest rates for a used model 7 as these tend to still be 'outside' the standard BMW prospective buyer profile, so they are keen to sell them when they find an interested person.

The 6 is lovely, and effectively the room up front and luxury up front is similar to the F series 7, however, until the 6 gets the same interior update as the current G series, there is a world of difference in luxury and technology between the two...IMO.

Whatever age you move to the 7...you'll love it when you do!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 07:16 PM   #26
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
To answer your question first: the age when one wants luxury as their first criteria, usually after they have the need for speed out of their system.

But this is really only half the answer here in the UK, where BMW's are one of the most common brands on the roads...A 7 is still quite rare to see on UK roads and so a way to stand out a bit as well as being the choice for those looking to have great understated luxury, loads of technology and a bit of a sporty drive when your inner child comes to the fore!

I find the traffic density and increasing idiocy of the driving standard here in the UK are far less of a hassle when I'm cocooned in the 7 with some music going and adaptive cruise set...let the boy racers go by or cut you up...just smile as you are in comfort and enjoying your ride.

I'm late forties now and bought my first 7 while in my 40's but that means it just took me longer to get any need for speed out of my system before I realised that time is the one true luxury, and what better way to drive around the UK than in a 7? I tend to take off a bit earlier these days and just set the cruise for the speed limit and put some tunes on and enjoy a stress free drive now instead of trying to get there hell bent for leather and saving a few minutes but notching up the stress factor...

As to getting a 7 in the UK...buying brand new is a great option if you want/need to be the first registered keeper (due to 0% finance and dealer contribution of nearly 10k) but do consider a slightly used car as there are quite a few of those first G series 7's coming on the market now and decently loaded...especially the G12 models (due to the fact no one wants to try and find the parking space for the extra length or deal with the short turn radius of many NCP or other brand car parks these days)...You can generally talk to the dealers and get them to go down on price or on the finance interest rates for a used model 7 as these tend to still be 'outside' the standard BMW prospective buyer profile, so they are keen to sell them when they find an interested person.

The 6 is lovely, and effectively the room up front and luxury up front is similar to the F series 7, however, until the 6 gets the same interior update as the current G series, there is a world of difference in luxury and technology between the two...IMO.

Whatever age you move to the 7...you'll love it when you do!
Interesting take and being from the UK I do sometimes question what the point of my current M5 is. There's either too much traffic or the weather is cold / raining and a 250 - 300hp hot hatch can leave me for dust. 4 wheel drive is a must on my next choice.

How do you find multistories in the UK with your 730d? Do you have the rear wheel steering package to make it easier?

Because of the amazing offers a fully loaded 740d isn't that much cheaper on a PCP than a M760Li which comes with all the toys pretty much as standard. There's about £100 in it on the monthlies so I'm very tempted to get rid of the M5 and go for that. Luxury and speed rolled into one. I've driven one and it comes with rear wheel steering and on the road doesn't feel bigger than my M5 to be honest.

However parking it with out bay sizes is the main concern. I figure multistories are a no go pretty much and I'll be sticking way out on most bays. For most not from the UK the bays are normally drawn out to 4.8 metres in length and the long wheel base is 5.2 metres...

I'm 39 by the way. It's like a mid life crisis and the other option of a 24 year old blonde would get me murdered by the wife so this is a safer choice

But joking aside at least in the UK people see my M5 who where happily cruising and all of a sudden they are tail gating me, cutting me up, wanting to race me in their 60bhp Ford Fiesta, etc. It's got a bit old so I'd have the M760Li debadged so hopefully no one would know what it was so an easy life. Or maybe I'll have a 316d put on the back

The fact the standard colours are so plain also helps blend in. Unless I spec an individual colour, my dealer has a M760Li in San Marino Blue which is amazing but you stand out even if you was debadged.

Think though it's just a chance to have a V12 before they are outlawed...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 12:56 AM   #27
jackaleyess
Lieutenant
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i M-sport (sold), 2018

Garage List
Man.. u guys in the States are lucky to have cars with tremendously low price. With ppl around late 20s to afford a 7 series.
      12-31-2017, 06:29 AM   #28
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
Interesting take and being from the UK I do sometimes question what the point of my current M5 is. There's either too much traffic or the weather is cold / raining and a 250 - 300hp hot hatch can leave me for dust. 4 wheel drive is a must on my next choice.

How do you find multistories in the UK with your 730d? Do you have the rear wheel steering package to make it easier?

Because of the amazing offers a fully loaded 740d isn't that much cheaper on a PCP than a M760Li which comes with all the toys pretty much as standard. There's about £100 in it on the monthlies so I'm very tempted to get rid of the M5 and go for that. Luxury and speed rolled into one. I've driven one and it comes with rear wheel steering and on the road doesn't feel bigger than my M5 to be honest.

However parking it with out bay sizes is the main concern. I figure multistories are a no go pretty much and I'll be sticking way out on most bays. For most not from the UK the bays are normally drawn out to 4.8 metres in length and the long wheel base is 5.2 metres...

I'm 39 by the way. It's like a mid life crisis and the other option of a 24 year old blonde would get me murdered by the wife so this is a safer choice

But joking aside at least in the UK people see my M5 who where happily cruising and all of a sudden they are tail gating me, cutting me up, wanting to race me in their 60bhp Ford Fiesta, etc. It's got a bit old so I'd have the M760Li debadged so hopefully no one would know what it was so an easy life. Or maybe I'll have a 316d put on the back

The fact the standard colours are so plain also helps blend in. Unless I spec an individual colour, my dealer has a M760Li in San Marino Blue which is amazing but you stand out even if you was debadged.

Think though it's just a chance to have a V12 before they are outlawed...
Well, for the record, I'm Canadian but have lived most of my adult life in Europe, first in Germany for 11 years and then moved to the UK back in 2002 for work and have been here since! While I'm not British, hoping my thoughts are valid for this discussion at least!

I'm down in Bristol area so it tends to be quite mild (if rather wet) here but if I was Manchester level or higher latitude, I'd definitely go for the xdrive as Winter does seem to leave more snow and ice up the Northern half of the country than South of that region.

Multistory and parking in general in UK: Well, with the G11, it is actually easier to drive and steer than my previous F01 was so I have no issue with most multi-story car parks but there are always some that are a nightmare and are indeed far too tight to have even the G11 in. I tend to avoid NCP if I can as they are generally too small for a big car like the 7, unless absolutely necessary. I have to admit I wouldn't want to try the G12 in many of the car parks I have to use. You would certainly need to be selective and check them out before going in IMO. The steering is better and the car drives better in low speed situations than previous versions I find so generally easier to park (especially with surround view, which is a must if you don't get it standard). Generally, if you have to use NCP's or multi-story car parks often in urban areas, I'd avoid recommending the G12, it's just too long. I believe this is why by far the SWB versions outsell the LWB models, however, it is also why there are sometimes better deals on the LWB models here in the UK. (strange as with the Merc S class it is the exact opposite but that is another story). The G11 is already quite long so sticks out about a foot in standard parking spaces (as you mentioned they are only 4m80 long) so this still works but with the extra 20 cm or so of the LWB model, well, you'd have to stick out a half meter (and let's face it, someone will hit it then) or take two spaces (one in front of the other)...Depends on your driving route on whether the G12 is suited to you or not really. I could (just) get away with it, but as we don't have kids, no need really, most of my journeys are 120 mile motorway and then work, home or hotel...so that would work...if you are doing school runs, shopping malls and as your daily to work as well as down to the pub or curry house in the city, not a chance the G12 will be pleasant given the space issues and increasing density in urban areas.

Anyway, no, I've not taken the rear steering package, that would help in some situations but let's face it, if the NCP car park is too tight or has low walls, the steering might get you around but the body will still scrape I fear...so depends on where you would use the benefit of that steering. for U turns or general driving it would help, for tight car parks, I fear you would still have issues with the body dimensions rather than the steering angle but I may be wrong here as I've not tried it and don't have it...maybe someone else can comment on that.

Regardless of G11/G12, yes, they drive very nicely indeed and this current generation does indeed 'feel' much smaller footprint when driving compared to the F01 IMO.

about the mid-life crisis! I know what you mean...As the timeless joke goes: if you don't do drink/drugs, drive a fast/lovely car or love sex, well, what's the point in living?

Agree about the endless cutting up and tailgating, it gets tiring with a sports car and so I personally love this current G series as it allows one to say, "go on you twat, harry someone else, I'm alright in my nice luxury/sleeper" (in your case with the 760 but only if it is debadged!) and can still enjoy the power and surprise you spring on the occasion you do find your inner child coming to the fore!

Whatever G model you would go for, I'm sure you'd love it...and get a lot less hassle than the M5 causes, obviously a personal choice but I have a few friends that have lovely sports cars that go like stink but I wouldn't trade them for the world and always have a huge Cheshire cat grin on my face when I get in mine...

As you say, most places it is not wise nor indeed possible to get above 80-85 mph anyway, so relax, put on some music and cruise in style to wherever you have to go...Just make sure you can park it without undue stress about it getting a ding or hit while you are away!

HTH, sorry for the chapter and verse!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 07:39 AM   #29
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well, for the record, I'm Canadian but have lived most of my adult life in Europe, first in Germany for 11 years and then moved to the UK back in 2002 for work and have been here since! While I'm not British, hoping my thoughts are valid for this discussion at least!

I'm down in Bristol area so it tends to be quite mild (if rather wet) here but if I was Manchester level or higher latitude, I'd definitely go for the xdrive as Winter does seem to leave more snow and ice up the Northern half of the country than South of that region.

Multistory and parking in general in UK: Well, with the G11, it is actually easier to drive and steer than my previous F01 was so I have no issue with most multi-story car parks but there are always some that are a nightmare and are indeed far too tight to have even the G11 in. I tend to avoid NCP if I can as they are generally too small for a big car like the 7, unless absolutely necessary. I have to admit I wouldn't want to try the G12 in many of the car parks I have to use. You would certainly need to be selective and check them out before going in IMO. The steering is better and the car drives better in low speed situations than previous versions I find so generally easier to park (especially with surround view, which is a must if you don't get it standard). Generally, if you have to use NCP's or multi-story car parks often in urban areas, I'd avoid recommending the G12, it's just too long. I believe this is why by far the SWB versions outsell the LWB models, however, it is also why there are sometimes better deals on the LWB models here in the UK. (strange as with the Merc S class it is the exact opposite but that is another story). The G11 is already quite long so sticks out about a foot in standard parking spaces (as you mentioned they are only 4m80 long) so this still works but with the extra 20 cm or so of the LWB model, well, you'd have to stick out a half meter (and let's face it, someone will hit it then) or take two spaces (one in front of the other)...Depends on your driving route on whether the G12 is suited to you or not really. I could (just) get away with it, but as we don't have kids, no need really, most of my journeys are 120 mile motorway and then work, home or hotel...so that would work...if you are doing school runs, shopping malls and as your daily to work as well as down to the pub or curry house in the city, not a chance the G12 will be pleasant given the space issues and increasing density in urban areas.

Anyway, no, I've not taken the rear steering package, that would help in some situations but let's face it, if the NCP car park is too tight or has low walls, the steering might get you around but the body will still scrape I fear...so depends on where you would use the benefit of that steering. for U turns or general driving it would help, for tight car parks, I fear you would still have issues with the body dimensions rather than the steering angle but I may be wrong here as I've not tried it and don't have it...maybe someone else can comment on that.

Regardless of G11/G12, yes, they drive very nicely indeed and this current generation does indeed 'feel' much smaller footprint when driving compared to the F01 IMO.

about the mid-life crisis! I know what you mean...As the timeless joke goes: if you don't do drink/drugs, drive a fast/lovely car or love sex, well, what's the point in living?

Agree about the endless cutting up and tailgating, it gets tiring with a sports car and so I personally love this current G series as it allows one to say, "go on you twat, harry someone else, I'm alright in my nice luxury/sleeper" (in your case with the 760 but only if it is debadged!) and can still enjoy the power and surprise you spring on the occasion you do find your inner child coming to the fore!

Whatever G model you would go for, I'm sure you'd love it...and get a lot less hassle than the M5 causes, obviously a personal choice but I have a few friends that have lovely sports cars that go like stink but I wouldn't trade them for the world and always have a huge Cheshire cat grin on my face when I get in mine...

As you say, most places it is not wise nor indeed possible to get above 80-85 mph anyway, so relax, put on some music and cruise in style to wherever you have to go...Just make sure you can park it without undue stress about it getting a ding or hit while you are away!

HTH, sorry for the chapter and verse!
No worries on the long post. It was a nice and useful post.

In fairness I don't take my M5 into NCP carparks as while the size might not be quite too big the turning circle is poor. It's worse than the standard F10 5 series because the wider front wheels mean they've had to limit the turning angle a bit more on the M5. It's mainly a worry about curbing the alloys on some of the tight entries where they put curbs up each side and some tight turns.

I can get the M5 into drive thru's though, not sure with the M760Li of course but I think the rear wheel steering might bring it's turning circle closer to the M5's that it might be OK. Something to try at like 3am so I can reverse out if it doesn't seem like it'll make it

I live in Peterborough by the way. Sounds like your work is same as mine. I'm home based but our office is in London so that's just a train ride when I go there and station parking should be OK. I do also go out to customers which could in theory be anywhere. As it's a London based firm a lot of our employees don't have a car so they train and taxi where needed. I could do the same if I felt I couldn't park my car or maybe get a park and ride. However that is somewhat ruining the point of having something a nice comfortable space of my own to travel in.

It's just such a good deal. You look at something like say a Porsche 911 Turbo which is similar money for the car but actually costs almost double on the monthly payments. That's how strong the offer is BMW is doing with their discounts and 0% APR.

Guess I could always swap with the wife on the days I won't be able to park. I can take her nicely specified Mini Clubman that I brought her and she can take the boss wagon to her work. Hopefully the alloys will come back in the same condition at the end of the day... She's not in quite the same level of job as me though and even the Mini they wonder how she got it so god knows what they'll think if she rocks up in a V12

I think I might just need a butler to go off and park it somewhere and then bring it back to me when I'm ready. It'll probably still be cheaper per month than the 911
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 04:58 AM   #30
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Interesting, indeed it does seem we have quite a bit in common re: work. I also work from home but drive down to the New Forest to the office once a week. I don't do much UK customer visits but do assist our sales guys when needed.

The wife also drives a mini, a cabrio S though, and we use that for any inner city jaunts locally or when we want to go down to Devon and the beach for the two days a year the sun does shine, the winds are light and it is warm! She doesn't drive the 7, in fact she hates it but is happy enough to be chauffeured around by me when needed

I have the stock 18" wheels on the 7 right now and as they aren't flush with the tyre, it is quite good for going around tight spaces or low walls/high curbs in the UK as you say...I will eventually put some Winter tyres on this set of rims and am thinking about buying a set of 20 or 22" Vorsteiner rims with Summer tyres but these would stick out beyond the tyre and I'd have to be very careful indeed here in the UK to not curb them...

For your circumstances, it seems you could easily get the 7 and enjoy it and as the kids are older, they would understand that Santa doesn't come to naughty kids as you say...

One thing I did to help me decide, was to rent one (albeit on the continent) for a weekend and drive it around to see how I got on and if I really wanted the comfort and luxury over a sportier car...You know the outcome of that! However, it does help to focus the mind and you can rent a basic 7 for roughly £500 for a weekend (I went to Portugal and the Algarve to do my test runs)...

Do let us know what you decide, lovely cars either way really. If you're ever down Bristol way, let me know, happy to meet up for a coffee/drink and car talk!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 03:45 PM   #31
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Never owned a convertible. That's one of the things on my list to tick at some point along with a car with a stupidly huge spoiler. Though I'm getting older so probably a retractable one will do these days

My wife won't drive my M5. She's insured on it but refuses to try it after she had a go just once. It's a mixture of the DCT and how it doesn't work quite like a normal auto with creep. If you just take your foot off the brake it'll hold for about 2 seconds then release so if it's not flat it'll simply roll either forwards of backwards if it's not level. If you tap the accelerator just a bit then it kicks in an automatic type creep and it's normal. Anyway the best way I can describe it when I first drove it is that it feels like an apex predator that wants to leap forwards and murder the car infront of you at the lights. At speed its fine and at low speeds mostly fine but it's not perfect. I see lots of people complaining the new one doesn't have the DCT anymore but personally a ZF 8 speed is a much better choice overall.

I've had a 730d for a week off BMW right when they were first new. Almost got it over the M5 but with no discount then and a 2.9% APR vs the cracking deals on the M5 it just made more sense to get the M5. I know completely different cars but I just like trying out different styles, it doesn't have to be fast to be honest. The M760Li again is probably mostly because the deal is just so damn strong, it's so much car for so little.

I'm not a fan of filling up all the time, it's not the cost but just the pain of having to hunt down a Shell for some V Power more often than you'd ideally want. I do miss the diesel 700 odd miles per tank type cars in that sense. Just feel buying a new diesel now simply isn't a wise thing to do even if I think BMW make pretty clean diesels for a diesel anyway.

Hopefully have a chat with my guy at the dealer tomorrow as he's been off over Xmas. Also trying a Tesla next weekend as I thought why not but a P100D would likely come in around £200+ more than a M760Li yet other than it's stonking speed the quality of the car simply won't compare.

I do love car shopping and picking up a new one is the only thing that excites me like when I was a kid on Xmas day.

I haven't been Bristol way for ages but I'll be sure to message you if I ever do head that direction
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 08:24 AM   #32
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Re: Convertibles: I used to love motorcycling, all super sport models but had a serious accident (that I luckily walked away from nearly unscathed) where I realised speed was going to kill me on two wheels so went for convertibles thereafter and we've always had one as our second car, from a 3 series to a TT to the latest mini cooper S. Not at all the same feeling but a reasonable compromise to have open top and fresh air but more 'crumple zone and four wheels'

Seems like our wives have much in common as well I'm trying to get her to go for a Porsche or an M4 as next car...(soft top or hard)...work in progress!

I love the 7 for the balance of enough power, stunning understated luxury and yet extremely cost effective. The 730 or 740d models have stupidly good mpg and range figures (I've never been below 40 mpg and get nearly 800 miles out of the 730d now and still have 265 bhp and plenty of torque)...the 740 would be a smile machine! (or a chipped 730)...I love the 760 for the sheer audacity of it and indeed it would be great to own a v12 before they go the long silent path in this modern world...same as the diesels, however, I'm thinking the benefits are still great for a diesel (new) for the next 5-8 years anyway...

Curious to hear what route you take and how the Tesla was, I'm not a fan for a few reasons but do see the attraction. I would say it is worth trying to drive a car with the latest touch interfaces such as the Tesla or Audi A8 as I think they are incredibly frustrating due to the touch screens. They are great when stopped or playing in a car park, but actually dangerous when driving as there is no reference point to see what you are doing unless you actually take the time to look and guide your fingers across the controls. Even in the G series I find the front upper temperature regulation sliders for the vents a pain to get the touch just right and move as one wants...I can't imagine making changes to more important settings via a arbitrary placement on a big screen without taking too long to look. YMMV.

Car shopping is brilliant, truly a kid in a candy store or at Xmas...enjoy! Do let us know what you do decide for in the end and why please, always helpful for others to know and help them decide as well.

Regardless of what you get, should you make it down to the West country...do drop a line and I'll happily meet up for a chat and a drink. ^

(but you know you want the 7... ) Couldn't resist!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 10:56 AM   #33
audiogolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

just go for the new f90 m5 or the m550xi, i am driving the g12 750 my second 7, but honestly if you don't need the back seat room go for m5 or the m550. i bought 750xi as my son is 6'3 and always bitched on rear seat leg room when i had 550xi.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 06:08 PM   #34
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Re: Convertibles: I used to love motorcycling, all super sport models but had a serious accident (that I luckily walked away from nearly unscathed) where I realised speed was going to kill me on two wheels so went for convertibles thereafter and we've always had one as our second car, from a 3 series to a TT to the latest mini cooper S. Not at all the same feeling but a reasonable compromise to have open top and fresh air but more 'crumple zone and four wheels'

Seems like our wives have much in common as well I'm trying to get her to go for a Porsche or an M4 as next car...(soft top or hard)...work in progress!

I love the 7 for the balance of enough power, stunning understated luxury and yet extremely cost effective. The 730 or 740d models have stupidly good mpg and range figures (I've never been below 40 mpg and get nearly 800 miles out of the 730d now and still have 265 bhp and plenty of torque)...the 740 would be a smile machine! (or a chipped 730)...I love the 760 for the sheer audacity of it and indeed it would be great to own a v12 before they go the long silent path in this modern world...same as the diesels, however, I'm thinking the benefits are still great for a diesel (new) for the next 5-8 years anyway...

Curious to hear what route you take and how the Tesla was, I'm not a fan for a few reasons but do see the attraction. I would say it is worth trying to drive a car with the latest touch interfaces such as the Tesla or Audi A8 as I think they are incredibly frustrating due to the touch screens. They are great when stopped or playing in a car park, but actually dangerous when driving as there is no reference point to see what you are doing unless you actually take the time to look and guide your fingers across the controls. Even in the G series I find the front upper temperature regulation sliders for the vents a pain to get the touch just right and move as one wants...I can't imagine making changes to more important settings via a arbitrary placement on a big screen without taking too long to look. YMMV.

Car shopping is brilliant, truly a kid in a candy store or at Xmas...enjoy! Do let us know what you do decide for in the end and why please, always helpful for others to know and help them decide as well.

Regardless of what you get, should you make it down to the West country...do drop a line and I'll happily meet up for a chat and a drink. ^

(but you know you want the 7... ) Couldn't resist!
Ah I've never done the motorbike thing and likely that's far far cheaper of course. Also pretty dangerous as you've said, especially in a crowded country like this and the way some people drive their cars as well. Probably not where the heart is but a sensible choice I'd say.

It's hard to say on the diesels. It's not like I'd not buy one of course but I do like a fully loaded car give or take. Once you fill a 730d or 740d with a good selection of options it costs the same on the monthly payments as an M760Li. By that point it would be rude not to take the M760Li

I doubt at all I'll go for a Tesla but I would kick my self if I didn't try it. However I've been reading up on their forums and they sound like once you look under the skin of them a bit it's not nearly as impressive. The Sat Nav sounds pretty rubbish, the music player crashes a lot, the build quality is poor, they promise the the earth but you don't even have auto wipers yet. Maybe driving one will blow my mind and change it, I just don't think so.

Your right of course on touch controls, however like the V12 physical buttons will die off anyway I imagine. It'll take time but again over time we'll do less driving and have stronger autonomous features so it won't matter so much taking your eyes off the road. The clean look is nice from touch but I have to say the 7 series has just the right amount of buttons and design. I'm not a fan of the older Porsche's with 600 buttons either, it's a step too far in the other direction. Oh and don't forget voice control will only get better.

Had a chat with my man at the dealer and looks like we have a deal on the M760Li so likely I'll sign that on Tuesday. They've 2 in stock, one not registered yet but it's black exterior / black interior and has the exec lounge package. I've been told in no under certain terms if the wife's seat doesn't have massage I'm a dead man, luckily I think there's enough space in the boot for bodies as well So it'll be a new build I think which means I'm going to struggle all weekend with the colours, exterior and interior.

Most cars around here have M badges on them or AMG's even though obviously most are anything but. Maybe I'll debadge it and stick a 318d on the back. Put a V12 and M badge on the wife's Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogolf View Post
just go for the new f90 m5 or the m550xi, i am driving the g12 750 my second 7, but honestly if you don't need the back seat room go for m5 or the m550. i bought 750xi as my son is 6'3 and always bitched on rear seat leg room when i had 550xi.
They don't sell the M550xi in the UK, no demand as by the time you get to that engine we'd just buy the M5 anyway. Also I've seen and sat in the new M5 and it's an amazing looking car. They've fixed probably all the bug bears I have with the current car with 4 wheel drive, adaptive cruise and so on. However it's not worth paying significantly more to get one over an M760Li.

Not sure how the deals go in the USA but in the UK excluding dealer haggling the F90 M5 which is an £86k car is the following:

£10k down payment then £1,322 per month for a 48 month deal with an APR of 5.9%
By the time you add some options to this it'll be around £1,500 a month

For the M760Li is a £135k car

£10k down payment then £1,129 per month for a 48 month deal with an APR of 0%
Almost no options to add because it comes standard with almost every 7 series option ticked

So you can get a car that costs £49k more for less. The only downside for the M760Li is it's rather big and won't have the driving dynamics but otherwise in every single way it's more of a car than the M5.

Hence I think if you want to do the sensible thing, the M760Li is the one to get.

Don't get me wrong once the initial rush for the new M5 ends they'll throw some deals in and it'll be the cheaper car. My F10 M5 with options came to £86k actually, put in £10k and pay £800 a month on a 0% deal. Hence at some point it will become the cheaper car it actually is but maybe not until later this year or early next year depending on how demand goes.

Last edited by FastLaneJB; 01-05-2018 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 03:14 PM   #35
DTMAMG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e63

not an issue. I was rolling in a grey market 7 in the 80s @28 yrs of age.

then there are guys who like small cars( mini copper/smart /fiat/911) at 70. Seeing them trying to get in and out of those tiny cars is funny and worrying
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 03:58 AM   #36
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTMAMG View Post
not an issue. I was rolling in a grey market 7 in the 80s @28 yrs of age.

then there are guys who like small cars( mini copper/smart /fiat/911) at 70. Seeing them trying to get in and out of those tiny cars is funny and worrying
I think the UK they’d probably be laughing at us trying to park our 7 series in bays that are too small for it
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 11:16 PM   #37
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Forget your age - if, as a package, its what YOU want in a car then buy it! That's all that matters.
Well said
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 01:47 AM   #38
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Well said

Well after all these pages of chat, I should update he thread with the fact that I’ve ordered one!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 11:35 AM   #39
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Well after all these pages of chat, I should update he thread with the fact that I’ve ordered one!
Congrats
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #40
arlind94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X5M

I'm 23 and ordered a 7er in December, should come next month.

Came from a 6er and I've gotten over the whole speed thing, especially since I'm in NY. The 7er is a fantastic car.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 04:13 PM   #41
icebeam
Rep
Drives: S550

No, I'm 29 and I just bought an Alpina B7. I like luxury with my cars and I have no interest in what others my age would buy if they had my income. No full fledge sports car, even a 911 Turbo S can compete with a 750, S550, and S8

Buy what you want! I'm married so peacocking is not a requirement of my car. If you are looking to peacock I would get a different car. Your question makes me think you care what others think of you, hence you are looking for an ostentatious vehicle to display a certain image. A 750 is not that car.

Last edited by icebeam; 01-22-2018 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #42
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebeam View Post
Buy what you want! I'm married so peacocking is not a requirement of my car. If you are looking to peacock I would get a different car. Your question makes me think you care what others think of you, hence you are looking for an ostentatious vehicle to display a certain image. A 750 is not that car.
Unless you get one in an Individual fancy colour? :P

Ordered my M760Li in San Merino Blue... I'm married though, just love the colour is all. Not bothered what others think.

My Sakhir Orange M5 pulled in a lot of blokes with praise. Not how I swing though

Last edited by FastLaneJB; 01-23-2018 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 07:50 AM   #43
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebeam View Post
No, I'm 29 and I just bought an Alpina B7. I like luxury with my cars and I have no interest in what others my age would buy if they had my income. No full fledge sports car, even a 911 Turbo S can compete with a 750, S550, and S8

Nah I don't care what other people think really, I've had some great and shocking cars in the past (I had one of the old long ford mondeos when I was about 25 for some reason, if anything is an old man car, that really is). Peacocking is also not what I'm into, and if I wanted to do that I would definitely get a different car. I see this thread has provoked a lot of responses and opinion. Really, all I wanted to know was what age other people thought suited this car best, if any. Clearly there are young and older people who have bought it but that wouldn't have swayed me. As it is, I've got one on order now anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 08:05 AM   #44
icebeam
Rep
Drives: S550

Quote:
Nah I don't care what other people think really, I've had some great and shocking cars in the past (I had one of the old long ford mondeos when I was about 25 for some reason, if anything is an old man car, that really is). Peacocking is also not what I'm into, and if I wanted to do that I would definitely get a different car. I see this thread has provoked a lot of responses and opinion. Really, all I wanted to know was what age other people thought suited this car best, if any. Clearly there are young and older people who have bought it but that wouldn't have swayed me. As it is, I've got one on order now anyway.
Congrats on the order! You will love it!
Appreciate 0