BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

11-03-2017, 01:32 PM   #1
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G11

LED lights / Driving Abroad / changes?

I have been told that my car g11 was showing selective beam errors due to a "continential driving setting" in the Idrive.

1. Is there a setting?
2. Does it just stop high beam assist?
3. Or does it stop all lights moving left to right ( i.e drawing those shapes around other cars )

I am trying to find out is if someone is fibbing to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 03:02 PM   #2
roho3323
The Professor
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6, BMW M240i, BMW 750i

To my knowledge there isn?t a Continental Driving setting...at least in the US.

2010 BMW M6
2007 BMW 335i,2012 Audi S4-retired
2016 BMW 750i M-Sport
2015 BMW M235i-retired, 2022 M240i
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 04:21 PM   #3
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

There is a tourist mode. I have never seen "continential driving setting."

All North American vehicles are decoded from factory so they will not have setting.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 04:31 AM   #4
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbitch View Post
I have been told that my car g11 was showing selective beam errors due to a "continential driving setting" in the Idrive.

1. Is there a setting?
2. Does it just stop high beam assist?
3. Or does it stop all lights moving left to right ( i.e drawing those shapes around other cars )

I am trying to find out is if someone is fibbing to me.
I appreciate that this post is a few months old now but just in case the OP or anyone new to the forum reads this, there is indeed a setting to change the lights over from left hand / right hand traffic.

More information is available in the electronic manual (under the search terms adaptive headlights or left-hand/right-hand traffic) you can get in connected drive app by putting in your VIN but effectively the setting and changes are;

in iDrive, go to my vehicle, then vehicle settings, then lights, choose exterior lighting and then choose the correct setting for your traffic situation (in Europe for example as other posters have noted this is not available in N.A.) Options are: Right-hand or Left-hand traffic.

There are notes to changing the settings from the default for your country and car:

High beam assistance may only be available with restrictions.

Adaptive corning light may only be available with restrictions.

No mention on what restrictions though, although I imagine the range of movement and activation zone (when it will respond) are affected.

I find this a great option for driving over on the continent with a UK reg vehicle and not needing to use other means (such as the light stickers available at crossing points) while still remaining legal and safe.

Hope this is of use.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 01:57 PM   #5
The7th
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 740xd M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
I appreciate that this post is a few months old now but just in case the OP or anyone new to the forum reads this, there is indeed a setting to change the lights over from left hand / right hand traffic.

More information is available in the electronic manual (under the search terms adaptive headlights or left-hand/right-hand traffic) you can get in connected drive app by putting in your VIN but effectively the setting and changes are;

in iDrive, go to my vehicle, then vehicle settings, then lights, choose exterior lighting and then choose the correct setting for your traffic situation (in Europe for example as other posters have noted this is not available in N.A.) Options are: Right-hand or Left-hand traffic.

There are notes to changing the settings from the default for your country and car:

High beam assistance may only be available with restrictions.

Adaptive corning light may only be available with restrictions.

No mention on what restrictions though, although I imagine the range of movement and activation zone (when it will respond) are affected.

I find this a great option for driving over on the continent with a UK reg vehicle and not needing to use other means (such as the light stickers available at crossing points) while still remaining legal and safe.

Hope this is of use.

Drove my G11 in Nederlands , Germany and France so far and yes: I have a setting for LH or RH drive therefore the OP was right to ask.
Appreciate 0