BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

11-20-2017, 02:17 AM   #1
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

UK 7 series owners..

Hi there, as might see from my signature I've owned quite a few BMWs over the years. Some sporty some less so.

My drive now is probably not the best in an M2. I might keep this for fun or likely trade in but my DD is about 1/2 mike of modern well lit B road either side of a 45 mike all motorway commute.

Although a DCT the 2 is a little tiresome and fidgety for this.

So I interested in a 5/7 again. There are some cracking deals about right now, £5799 deposit then £579 for a 730d xdrive msport. Even at base spec this has all I would need. Much of which I would have had to option up on the 5.

A few questions if any can answer please:-

- What is 7 series like to drive on uk roads and into NCPs for example. I think I'd need to set aside a little budget for wheel repairs

- Anyone have integral active steering. I'm intrigued but this for sure.

-ACC is this practical on UK motorways or does people jumping into gaps ruin it? This feels like it would be excellent for my journey but its now only available I think as part of a bigger pack so a £2-£3k option

-Discounts, were you getting more than £15k deposit contribution?

-Ride quality I assume is incredible, I've a test drive to arrange still but air suspension and that wheelbase would make it super comfy. MSport and 20 inch wheel option ride ok still?

All comments appreciated.

Cheis

Last edited by JustChris; 11-20-2017 at 02:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 04:02 PM   #2
talaipwros
Private
Rep
Drives: Model2018 740d xdriveMsport

7 series is brilliant to drive in UK roads. No problem with wheels so far, with 300 you can have 18 wheel repairs and 18 dent repairs in 3 years anyhow

integral active steering is really working. Had the F01 without it in the same parking space so I can comapre maneuvrability. Huge improvement.

ACC works but every now and then you should put your hands on the wheel and yes, larg gaps etc confuses it. If you do long trips it's a must

ride quality vastly improves with adaptive drive. More comfortable than the Comfort mode

If you are doing long drives at night, don't forget laserlights

hope this helps
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      11-21-2017, 01:34 AM   #3
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaipwros View Post
7 series is brilliant to drive in UK roads. No problem with wheels so far, with 300 you can have 18 wheel repairs and 18 dent repairs in 3 years anyhow

integral active steering is really working. Had the F01 without it in the same parking space so I can comapre maneuvrability. Huge improvement.

ACC works but every now and then you should put your hands on the wheel and yes, larg gaps etc confuses it. If you do long trips it's a must

ride quality vastly improves with adaptive drive. More comfortable than the Comfort mode

If you are doing long drives at night, don't forget laserlights

hope this helps
Just what I was hoping to hear, many thanks!
      12-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #4
Leedonaldson911
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 AW. NO15SYY

Driving a 740e M sport on 20" wheels and the drive is fantastic and you don't notice any deterioration in ride quality. We went with the Hybrid which is great for Tax reasons (we have saved over £500 a month on my F80 M3!!) however the 2.0 petrol is totally underpowered and really crude. The electric range is only 18 although BMW state 28 - BMW have now confirmed that 18 is the MAX that we will achieve in the UK. Car is Carbon Black which looks lovely now we have had it ceramic coated but beware it is So Soft and scratches so easily. Only extra we Spec'd was HUD which is fantastic - the standard Xeons are really good too - I love driving the car, the ambient lighting is amazing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      12-10-2017, 08:08 AM   #5
x5mannn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 4.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedonaldson911 View Post
Driving a 740e M sport on 20" wheels and the drive is fantastic and you don't notice any deterioration in ride quality. We went with the Hybrid which is great for Tax reasons (we have saved over £500 a month on my F80 M3!!) however the 2.0 petrol is totally underpowered and really crude. The electric range is only 18 although BMW state 28 - BMW have now confirmed that 18 is the MAX that we will achieve in the UK. Car is Carbon Black which looks lovely now we have had it ceramic coated but beware it is So Soft and scratches so easily. Only extra we Spec'd was HUD which is fantastic - the standard Xeons are really good too - I love driving the car, the ambient lighting is amazing.
I wish we could get the short wheelbase 7 here in the states.
I drove the long wheelbase 750 ix with 4 wheel steering and it significantly shrank the car. It steered around corners like a much more compact car. But you can tell it's a huge car.
The ride was amazing on our potholed permanently under construction roads in New England. Not sure if it had adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00