BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

01-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #1
ld757
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 750xi

Steering wheel column adjustment

Hi Everyone,
I have a question with regards to the steering column adjustment of 2018 750xi.
I just returned 2014 750xi and in that car the steering column had an ability to be adjusted a bit on a lower angle, meaning that the top of the steering wheel was slightly below the top of the dashboard's instrument panel,
On the 2018 however, I am not able to adjust it that deep and the top of the steering wheel is located well above dashboard's instrument panel.

Have you noticed the same behaviour in you 7 series?
Maybe something could be done via coding?

I went to the dealer and they pulled another 7 series from the lot and it had the same adjustment for the steering column....
Should I push them to do something for me, maybe adjusting it manually? Is it even possible?

Any of you comments are highly appreciated...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 03:57 AM   #2
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

The height of the steering wheel should be so you can see the display really. Maybe you need to raise / lower the seat? That will change the angle your looking at the display and hopefully fix your issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 03:28 PM   #3
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Hi Id757, I have checked mine this afternoon and would say that my feeling is the F01 series (or F02 in your case) did allow the steering wheel to go down lower (horizontal) from the displays compared to the G series. This is anecdotal as I no longer have my F01 but I do remember it went lower...I never used it in that position as it would have blocked the ability to view the displays properly (at least for me and my seating position.

It is hard to compare as each series will be slightly different and have different seating positions compared to the previous generation IMO. As FastLaneJB mentions, it is a combination of the seat position, steering wheel and general car ergonomics (compared to previous versions).

I certainly can still get my steering wheel lower than my own display top which blocks out my view of some dials as you can see (I have tried to take the picture as you would see from where my eyes are as I sit to drive my car...I also show the side on view (about level height of the steering wheel to show its position relative to the display cover...

Hope this helps, I don't imagine any coding can be done to lower it, do you find it is too high for you for the seating position you would drive in?

View of steering wheel when lowered as far as it goes for me: (seat still where I would drive):

Side view of relative heights:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 05:35 PM   #4
ld757
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 750xi

Thank you Pelo Cat for going all the way and posting the pictures.

I am , of course, comparing to F01 and that is too different cars, but still I should have an ability to lower the steering column a bit lower, without adjusting my seat higher, which brings me to an ackward position.
Because of the HUD, I rarely look onto instrument panel and by lowering the steering wheel, gives me the feeling of the sports car, rather than a bus where the steering wheel is well above instrument panel. Of course, it is just me and my perceptions of things, but I can't believe there is no other way to deal with it...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 01:14 PM   #5
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

There's probably a safety reason for it. The airbags there to protect your head but maybe if you lower your steering wheel too much it won't do such an affective job?

Just a wild guess but it's a German car, they consider everything
Appreciate 0