BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

01-14-2018, 05:34 AM   #67
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Yeah the rear comfort seats with electronic controls are standard on all models. Controls for the seats are indeed on the centre arm rest. You then have to specify extras for the rear like heated, cooled and massage seats if you so desire those features. Though I think the minute you add massage seats you'll get the Touch tablet in the rear as it needs that to pick the massage programs.

Pelo Cat do you have the Executive Drive Pro or is that a queen level feature?

I've seen people on this forum say that feature improves the ride comfort quite a bit. I think the two cars I've driven both had it but don't know if it's only on when you push adaptive or all the time. I've no idea hence if I was using it or not as I didn't really try out Adaptive much. Will need to get hold of a manual and have a good read.

Ultimately though if they could fit you could probably put 24 - 25 inch wheels on the car and it would still be more comfortable than a 5 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
I’m critical of ride too so do you think I should go back to 19s? Is that what you have?
Ask them to let you take the M760 out so you can find out. That only comes with 20 inch wheels because of the brake size. The car is also a lot more heavy with the engine so it's got a lot more weight for the suspension to deal with. So it's probably the worse case you can get in a 7 series in terms of comfort I suspect. Don't forget to push the sport button though so the flaps open and give it a rev

EDIT: Found this site that's got wheel weights:

Standard 18's are 619

Weight: 20.8lb

20inch could be 649i

Weight: 30.1lb

So a bit of a weight difference there. Some times the larger wheels are forged and the smaller ones aren't but seems not in this case.

To be honest I've done the large wheels looking nicer in the past but as I've got older I'd have to side with Pelo Cat here. The smaller wheels in theory should have a bit more comfort but not sure it'll be noticeable with air suspension. You'll get that bit better mpg as well.

Maybe either save yourself the money or pick another option or two instead? It looks like the 20's are a £2.6k option. You could add:

Driving Assistant Plus vs the Driving Assistant you've picked to get Active Cruise Control

or

Integral Active Steering to improve the handling of the car

or

Executive Drive Pro for more comfort

Last edited by FastLaneJB; 01-14-2018 at 05:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 06:24 AM   #68
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Quote:
I’m critical of ride too so do you think I should go back to 19s? Is that what you have?
No, I'm on poor man 18's. 245/50 R18 all round. They don't look any great hell but they do ride brilliantly and help with smoothing the road out (and are run flats even)...I think you'll be fine in the 20's (I'm planning on using these 18's for Winter tyres in the future and going with 20's myself for Summer (likely not run flats though to help out a bit)...YMMV. The air suspension will likely take any differences out (and you can switch between sport and comfort or comfort plus anyway)...I tend to use comfort plus most to make it glide over the potholes and drops where the drains and such are...When I can't avoid them of course.

Sorry if I caused concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
Yeah the rear comfort seats with electronic controls are standard on all models. Controls for the seats are indeed on the centre arm rest. You then have to specify extras for the rear like heated, cooled and massage seats if you so desire those features. Though I think the minute you add massage seats you'll get the Touch tablet in the rear as it needs that to pick the massage programs.

Pelo Cat do you have the Executive Drive Pro or is that a queen level feature?
Small clarification: Heated rear seats are now standard, however, cooled and massage are indeed options. Good point about the centre tablet and massage activation in rear.

I don't have exec drive pro, I'm a bit sceptical about it to be honest. I can photograph the printed manual pages on EDP if you wish but it doesn't say if one has to activate it or not...maybe a menu command in idrive but otherwise it will be on all the time from what I can read. There are some interesting limitations on it, which make sense but are worth knowing, such as; doesn't work in the dark (so must not be infra-red), doesn't work if car in front is too close (as it can't see the road then) and doesn't work above 87 mph...(I know we all drive the speed limit but useful to know, must be limited in how fast it can register something and then actively change settings before one hits that obstacle)...there are others.

Quote:
I've seen people on this forum say that feature improves the ride comfort quite a bit. I think the two cars I've driven both had it but don't know if it's only on when you push adaptive or all the time. I've no idea hence if I was using it or not as I didn't really try out Adaptive much. Will need to get hold of a manual and have a good read.

Ultimately though if they could fit you could probably put 24 - 25 inch wheels on the car and it would still be more comfortable than a 5 series.

Ask them to let you take the M760 out so you can find out. That only comes with 20 inch wheels because of the brake size. The car is also a lot more heavy with the engine so it's got a lot more weight for the suspension to deal with. So it's probably the worse case you can get in a 7 series in terms of comfort I suspect. Don't forget to push the sport button though so the flaps open and give it a rev
I haven't tried adaptive out too much yet myself so can't comment a lot on that but I haven't noticed it changing modes if it was (for example going from sedate relaxed driving to more sporty, as when you go into sport mode the side bolsters on the seats tighten up and you can feel them 'pinch' you to help with lateral movement, but I don't feel that in adaptive) so I tend to do the changes manually anyway (from comfort plus to sport really)...

Agree with FastLaneJB, 20's will be fine and look stunning. EDIT: if however, you did want driver assistant plus and changing back to standard 19's would free up enough to get DAP then I'd do that to be honest. The 19's are still big enough, it will help a bit with fuel economy and ride and the DAP is great in many aspects but does have some quirks and you get ACC. The feature I like most is it will warn you using the radar sensors in the front or rear bumpers if a car is approaching when you are 'blind' to them (at 90 degree junctions or where you are backing up...you won't see them, even in the surround view but the radar will pick them up and indicate this as a warning sound and red visual (on appropriate side of camera view)...worth its weight in gold to be honest for the UK. Either way you'll be happy, congrats again on the car, please do keep us posted on progress (both of you!) and lots of pics when you get them!

Hope that helps

Last edited by Pelo Cat; 01-14-2018 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: adding swap out of wheels to DAP package if that is of interest
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 06:28 AM   #69
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Ok so I drove the car with 20s and it was ok but I hit a big pothole and it was hard but that was a massive hole. They are a £1100 option on the msport so that’s what I’d save by going 19s. I’ll have a quick look what I can add by removing those for 1100 (any suggestions?) but if I keep them I think it will be ok.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 06:53 AM   #70
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok so I drove the car with 20s and it was ok but I hit a big pothole and it was hard but that was a massive hole. They are a £1100 option on the msport so that’s what I’d save by going 19s. I’ll have a quick look what I can add by removing those for 1100 (any suggestions?) but if I keep them I think it will be ok.
Personally, no, as the DAP seems to be a £2k upgrade and the £1100 you'd save is not going to cover that. ACC may not be worth that to you.

I had to have a sunroof, that would be within budget if you were interested. Also I do miss headlight wash on mine (had it on my F01 but not on current) and that is well within budget if you haven't spec'd it yet or as part of the icon adaptive. (it doesn't come standard anymore with higher light packages AFAIK).

You've basically spec'd everything else really so no, nothing else I'd see...

Stunning car, enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 07:14 AM   #71
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Nothing can probably save you from big potholes unfortunately. Outside of that how do you think it compared to the smaller wheels, was there a noticeable difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Small clarification: Heated rear seats are now standard, however, cooled and massage are indeed options. Good point about the centre tablet and massage activation in rear.
Yes your right, heated seats front and back are standard now I see.

Quote:
I don't have exec drive pro, I'm a bit sceptical about it to be honest. I can photograph the printed manual pages on EDP if you wish but it doesn't say if one has to activate it or not...maybe a menu command in idrive but otherwise it will be on all the time from what I can read. There are some interesting limitations on it, which make sense but are worth knowing, such as; doesn't work in the dark (so must not be infra-red), doesn't work if car in front is too close (as it can't see the road then) and doesn't work above 87 mph...(I know we all drive the speed limit but useful to know, must be limited in how fast it can register something and then actively change settings before one hits that obstacle)...there are others.
Yeah if it's on all the time I simply won't know however it has the anti roll stabilization which is really good. In sport it corners pretty flat. It's not to the level you'd get on the M5 as there's still a bit lean but at the same time it's still a comfortable ride even in sport mode. Probably only useful if you like a bit of a twisted B road kind of driving I guess.

Quote:
Agree with FastLaneJB, 20's will be fine and look stunning. EDIT: if however, you did want driver assistant plus and changing back to standard 19's would free up enough to get DAP then I'd do that to be honest. The 19's are still big enough, it will help a bit with fuel economy and ride and the DAP is great in many aspects but does have some quirks and you get ACC. The feature I like most is it will warn you using the radar sensors in the front or rear bumpers if a car is approaching when you are 'blind' to them (at 90 degree junctions or where you are backing up...you won't see them, even in the surround view but the radar will pick them up and indicate this as a warning sound and red visual (on appropriate side of camera view)...worth its weight in gold to be honest for the UK. Either way you'll be happy, congrats again on the car, please do keep us posted on progress (both of you!) and lots of pics when you get them!
Integral Active Steering comes in around that price and might be a nice choice to help in tighter locations. Or just save your money if you've got everything you want or keep the 20's. I still drive my wife's Mini sometimes or travel in it and that's on big wheels, it's pretty firm to be honest. Even then though I don't mind a couple of hours in it so at least from my point of view the M5 is more than comfortable enough, the 7 series is like floating on clouds even with 20 inch wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 07:30 AM   #72
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Does IAS change the steering weight or is it still nice and light, which is what I want?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 08:00 AM   #73
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

OK I've made a decision, not going for IAS, I think as I haven't driven with it, it's too much of a change to buy without knowing.

So I'm going to remove the 19s, add Ambient Air, Through Load and Seat Ventilation. I think that's me set, I hope!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 09:13 AM   #74
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

IAS doesn't change the weight as far as I know. It just shrinks the turning circle and improves the driving dynamics.

Ultimately if happy without it then no need I imagine. Plus it's not a long wheel base... if only they did the V12 in the short wheel base G11. I'll find a way to park it I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 10:18 AM   #75
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
OK I've made a decision, not going for IAS, I think as I haven't driven with it, it's too much of a change to buy without knowing.

So I'm going to remove the 19s, add Ambient Air, Through Load and Seat Ventilation. I think that's me set, I hope!
Nice. I don't have iAS and haven't tried it so can't comment on that.

Quote:
Ultimately if happy without it then no need I imagine. Plus it's not a long wheel base... if only they did the V12 in the short wheel base G11. I'll find a way to park it I'm sure.
Agree. A SWB V12 7....the mind boggles! As to parking, 325_bucks and myself will go with you in convoy...and guide you in (like long or wide load lorry transports!)

BTW: just now followed the 'queen' comment earlier... In fact, I'd suggest that Exec Drive Pro is for ruling monarchs....as you'll need the power to have things changed or moved to get about and also to secure any funds you need to refuel....
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 10:31 AM   #76
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Thanks for all your help guys. Here’s my final spec

730d Carbon black
Black Nappa
Advanced Parking Package
Ambient air
Through load
Ventilated front seats
Sun protection glass
Heat comfort package, front and rear
Fineline Black wood trim
Ceramic controls
Icon Adaptive LED matrix lights
Driving Assistant
HUD
H/K sound
CarPlay
MSport package

Very excited for it to arrive now. Will be doing the usual to track it at every possible stage!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #77
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Well at least you won’t have to sit in the naughty chair like me with all that black

Excellent choices though. Did you have a rough delivery date yet? Last time my M5 actually arrived early but suspecting I’ll have to wait a bit longer for this one. I’m worse than a kid waiting for Xmas when it comes to cars. Lol

Quote:
Agree. A SWB V12 7....the mind boggles! As to parking, 325_bucks and myself will go with you in convoy...and guide you in (like long or wide load lorry transports!)

BTW: just now followed the 'queen' comment earlier... In fact, I'd suggest that Exec Drive Pro is for ruling monarchs....as you'll need the power to have things changed or moved to get about and also to secure any funds you need to refuel....
I might need remote parking advanced package to be honest. You know the one that comes with a butler to park the car for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #78
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well at least you won’t have to sit in the naughty chair like me with all that black

Excellent choices though. Did you have a rough delivery date yet? Last time my M5 actually arrived early but suspecting I’ll have to wait a bit longer for this one. I’m worse than a kid waiting for Xmas when it comes to cars. Lol

I might need remote parking advanced package to be honest. You know the one that comes with a butler to park the car for you.
They reckon mid to end March at the moment but I don’t have anything confirmed. Hopefully get a slot soon! The anticipation is sometimes better than receiving it!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #79
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

They reckon mid to end March at the moment but I don’t have anything confirmed. Hopefully get a slot soon! The anticipation is sometimes better than receiving it!
True. Once I've got a reasonably firm date I'll get some holiday booked and try to find a road trip to do hopefully. Like a long weekend away in some remote part of the UK but not too remote as I need a lake of 98 RON Petrol
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 12:48 PM   #80
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
True. Once I've got a reasonably firm date I'll get some holiday booked and try to find a road trip to do hopefully. Like a long weekend away in some remote part of the UK but not too remote as I need a lake of 98 RON Petrol
I’ll be scheduling one of my Germany drives to visit my dad over there soon to really give it a good run and see how well the comfort holds up!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #81
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I’ll be scheduling one of my Germany drives to visit my dad over there soon to really give it a good run and see how well the comfort holds up!
Ah nice. That'll get the break in period solved nicely. I'll probably just keep looping the M25 until it's done
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 04:45 AM   #82
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Bit of a change, it turns out that removing the 20s and going back to 19s actually negatively affects price as the 20s have a better residual value, so even though I added seat ventilation that wasn't as expensive as the 20s, the monthlies were still coming out more.

So I decided after researching, that seat ventilation is not actually that great. I removed that as well as the 20s but kept the ambient air and through load. This should bring my costs down and save some money. I really want to get the 20s but the only benefit to them are the looks, everything else is a negative. But I figured that if I really don't like the 19s, I can always trade them for a set of 20s down the line, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 07:55 AM   #83
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Bit of a change, it turns out that removing the 20s and going back to 19s actually negatively affects price as the 20s have a better residual value, so even though I added seat ventilation that wasn't as expensive as the 20s, the monthlies were still coming out more.

So I decided after researching, that seat ventilation is not actually that great. I removed that as well as the 20s but kept the ambient air and through load. This should bring my costs down and save some money. I really want to get the 20s but the only benefit to them are the looks, everything else is a negative. But I figured that if I really don't like the 19s, I can always trade them for a set of 20s down the line, right?
I've got seat ventilation in my M5, not sure if it's exactly the same on the newer 7 series but it's not amazing if I'm honest. I've specified it on the 760 anyway as I've got pretty much everything else so why not I thought but your probably right to remove it.

It's not hugely fast but it cools the leather down mainly I'd say. So think parked with your black leather out in the sun for a long time it can help a bit in those situations. However it's just pretty slow but eventually if you leave it on long enough the seats can get quite cold.

Considering you live in the UK, heated seats are much more useful here which you've got anyway.

Strangely you can switch the heated and cooled seats on at the same time at least in my car. The cooled seats are really just fans in the seats as far as I can feel, it's not hooked up to the cool AC air for instance. So if you switch them both on at the same time it must be blowing across the heating elements and blows pretty hot air from the seats. I did it once without realizing and I was baking hot in no time.

Back to the wheels it doesn't seem like your completely set on the 19's. If having the 20's works out cheaper plus looks nicer and the ride was OK maybe go with them? It'll look awesome either way I imagine.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 07:58 AM   #84
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I've got seat ventilation in my M5, not sure if it's exactly the same on the newer 7 series but it's not amazing if I'm honest. I've specified it on the 760 anyway as I've got pretty much everything else so why not I thought but your probably right to remove it.

It's not hugely fast but it cools the leather down mainly I'd say. So think parked with your black leather out in the sun for a long time it can help a bit in those situations. However it's just pretty slow but eventually if you leave it on long enough the seats can get quite cold.

Considering you live in the UK, heated seats are much more useful here which you've got anyway.

Strangely you can switch the heated and cooled seats on at the same time at least in my car. The cooled seats are really just fans in the seats as far as I can feel, it's not hooked up to the cool AC air for instance. So if you switch them both on at the same time it must be blowing across the heating elements and blows pretty hot air from the seats. I did it once without realizing and I was baking hot in no time. Lol.

Back to the wheels it doesn't seem like your completely set on the 19's. If having the 20's works out cheaper plus looks nicer and the ride was OK maybe go with them? It'll look awesome either way I imagine.
No the 20s were cheaper than having 19s if I went for the additional options but if its just a case of removing the 20s and keeping the rest of the spec the same then it's obviously cheaper overall. That's what I've gone for now and I'm just waiting for the contract.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 08:02 AM   #85
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Strangely you can switch the heated and cooled seats on at the same time at least in my car. The cooled seats are really just fans in the seats as far as I can feel, it's not hooked up to the cool AC air for instance. So if you switch them both on at the same time it must be blowing across the heating elements and blows pretty hot air from the seats. I did it once without realizing and I was baking hot in no time. Lol.

No the 20s were cheaper than having 19s if I went for the additional options but if its just a case of removing the 20s and keeping the rest of the spec the same then it's obviously cheaper overall. That's what I've gone for now and I'm just waiting for the contract.
Ah OK. All sounds good then.

I'm waiting for new this week as well. Once all sorted and I get the spec sheet off the dealer I'll make a thread on it. Need to check it's gone on the system with everything I'd asked for.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 08:43 AM   #86
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Well here it is, the final spec that I've promised myself I'm not going to change!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #87
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

That's a really nicely specified car. Your going to enjoy that one.

Pelo Cat mentioned that heated seats front and back was standard now but I see you've a charge for it. When I tried to spec a 730d online it seemed like that option was already ticked. Might just be worth trying that online to see what happens. Only mention it incase it is standard and changed really recently as might be a saving there for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #88
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

No you’re seeing the heat comfort package which adds extra heating like heated steering wheel and armrests etc. Can’t live without my heated steering wheel!
Appreciate 0