BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

03-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #23
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
If it is a publicity stunt then why have we achieved the impossible with the accomplished i3 and i8? It is an achievement because we know of good authority Mercedes-Benz are 5-6 years behind with VAG at least 5 and Porsche at 10 years in building Carbon fibre bodies for volume models.
The weight of the new 7er will be disclosed very soon but i can tell you it is far lighter than an equivalent S-Klasse. And to think these similar savings will be passed on to the G30 5er. And eventually the G20 3er.
While that's great that BMW is acknowledging the weight on their cars, I think the concern is BMW isn't doing enough to be competitive in this segment. Mercedes does luxury the best and that's on full showcase with the S-Class, what the S-Class brings and provides fits what people think of this segment. The 7-Series goes for the driving experience but the problem is, while it drives great in it's class, it's not BMW great. I don't remember anyone who has driven/owned a 7-Series say this is proper BMW driving - it's great, but not BMW great. The other problem is the cabin. There's just no comparison. So the 7-Series doesn't have the driving it deserves or should have and doesn't have the cabin either, so what exactly am I paying for? I'm sure it's still a great car but you put the 7-Series next to the S-Class, chances are the most will pick the S-Class.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #24
Tisaksen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3cs

I love bmw. But the s class takes the cake again IMO
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 12:29 PM   #25
GMe90
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe, ZSP, Premium

Garage List
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [6.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Who buys the 7 series anymore? The 5 is big enough. If you need more space, buy an X-series.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 12:35 PM   #26
fortressmaximus
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortressmaximus View Post
They should have made it look like this. This is a really good looking car.
YES I agree, not sure what BMW have done with this 7 er.

I wanted one once................... now not keen at all on what is shown.
Yup, that "shrug shoulders" emoticon pretty much sums it up.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #27
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

At the risk of being flamed, I quite like the look of the new 7 and to me it looks better than the S - although the interior looks a bit too standard BMW to me.

Honestly prior to this I cannot remember the last time I liked the look of a 7er
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 01:50 PM   #28
misterbeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92, E46 M3, E39 M5, 750Li

Quote:
If it is a publicity stunt then why have we achieved the impossible with the accomplished i3 and i8? It is an achievement because we know of good authority Mercedes-Benz are 5-6 years behind with VAG at least 5 and Porsche at 10 years in building Carbon fibre bodies for volume models.
The weight of the new 7er will be disclosed very soon but i can tell you it is far lighter than an equivalent S-Klasse. And to think these similar savings will be passed on to the G30 5er. And eventually the G20 3er.
A few things:
1) Do you think people in the market for a 7 series are going to take them to the track? Will the weight savings really help BMW do better 0-60? Unless there is an M7 to track against the S63 and S65 AMG.

2) I don't know how much better the mileage will be. But lets say 1-2MPG better than previous model. Do people buying these cars really, really care? It is not of importance to most of them when they cross shop for such cars. Especially, if they are going to have a V8/V12 engine.

All I am seeing is: "Here is our flagship BMW...well it looks more or less the same as the previous one inside out, perhaps a little weird too with those big lights, but hey, at least we got the weight down using carbon fiber".

By the way, how expensive would it be to fix/replace carbon fiber+plastic mumbo-jumbo panels in case of an accident? Or perhaps the people buying these cars really don't care about that cost.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 02:00 PM   #29
sid21177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i AW/ 2013 128i AW

Garage List
2013 128i AW  [0.00]
2011 328i AW  [0.00]
is it me or the side mirrors look like the E46 series ones ??
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 02:17 PM   #30
///S65
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SSII DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbeemer
Quote:
A few things:
1) Do you think people in the market for a 7 series are going to take them to the track? Will the weight savings really help BMW do better 0-60? Unless there is an M7 to track against the S63 and S65 AMG.

2) I don't know how much better the mileage will be. But lets say 1-2MPG better than previous model. Do people buying these cars really, really care? It is not of importance to most of them when they cross shop for such cars. Especially, if they are going to have a V8/V12 engine.

All I am seeing is: "Here is our flagship BMW...well it looks more or less the same as the previous one inside out, perhaps a little weird too with those big lights, but hey, at least we got the weight down using carbon fiber".

By the way, how expensive would it be to fix/replace carbon fiber+plastic mumbo-jumbo panels in case of an accident? Or perhaps the people buying these cars really don't care about that cost.
Just my 2 cents:

Bringing CF to the 7 series isnt for laptimes or anything like that. Being the flagship model of BMW, the 7 series is also a technology demonstrate vehicle for BMW group. Its a glimpse of technologies that will roll down to the lower models. Now BMW has invested tons of money into CF mass manufacturing research simply because CFs are expensive. Will BMW introduce the technology with 3 series? No way that will happen because the low price of 3 series doesnt allow implementation for expensive CF structures. Did Audi start all aluminum body with an A4? No they did with the A8.
In my opinion BMW is on the right track and I cant wait to see further implementation of CFRP.
      03-27-2015, 03:02 PM   #31
Oaktree
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 - 2010 M3 - 1999 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///S65 View Post
Just my 2 cents:

Bringing CF to the 7 series isnt for laptimes or anything like that. Being the flagship model of BMW, the 7 series is also a technology demonstrate vehicle for BMW group. Its a glimpse of technologies that will roll down to the lower models. Now BMW has invested tons of money into CF mass manufacturing research simply because CFs are expensive. Will BMW introduce the technology with 3 series? No way that will happen because the low price of 3 series doesnt allow implementation for expensive CF structures. Did Audi start all aluminum body with an A4? No they did with the A8.
In my opinion BMW is on the right track and I cant wait to see further implementation of CFRP.
Correct. Technology trickles down, it always has. Its clear mass production of CFRP can work but in the volume of a 3 series or 5 series would be next to impossible at this point in time. I think BMW is still learning a lot about production and repair.

I hope the 730 in the pictures is the taxi cab variant and the 750's have a more refined exterior look. Here's to wishful thinking
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #32
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

I see some of you guys point but people in this market segment really do not care much about the technology. People buy these cars for prestige, luxury and design. I really hate say this as a BMW fan but BMW failed to address these simple key points.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #33
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Looking fwd seeing the electric version of this
      03-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #34
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Agreed. This is the class where Merc just nails it hard.
BMW doesn't need to nail the high-end luxury market.
Their Rolls Royce brand is already there, for whatever it's worth.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 04:29 PM   #35
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

I love it, you can see e46 in the roof line. Same sausage, different length. Same as it ever was.
      03-27-2015, 04:29 PM   #36
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku
Quote:
I don't think that many people cross shopping the S class are also really looking seriously at RR. Unless we're talking Maybach. As a direct competitor to the S class, it just pales in comparison by leaps and bounds. It's remarkable. Could just be me though.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 05:03 PM   #37
FLOMACKS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku
Quote:
I think you're on to something there.
2015 S63AMG Sedan
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 05:27 PM   #38
misterbeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92, E46 M3, E39 M5, 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOMACKS View Post
I think you're on to something there.
Yeah, there's probably going to be a 760L xDrivei M Sport RR (RR = Rolls Royce version - the ultra luxury version).
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #39
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul View Post
CF is just a publicity stunt for bmw. This car will only weight 150kg less than the outgoing model - so they say but my now sold f25 x3 was suposed to be 25kg lighter than my 1st gen x3 and I swear it was a good 45 - 60kg heavier - but audi without any CF got its Q7 300kg lighter and the Jag XF again without any CF is way lighter than the outgoing gen (not sure how much but i think I read +100 kg. Its like organic products at supermarket. You pay extra for them but did you you farmers can still label products organic if they use pesticides etc for emergencies? Its bmw markting BS at its best.
The Jag is going Aluminium to get down to a similar weight to the current F10. When the 5-er goes CF, what will Jag do then? I notice that Jaguar normally quote kerb weight..., whereas BMW quote DIN weights... so -75kg for BMW weights, or +75kg for Jaguar weights.

Q7 is a different case, I'm guessing because it no longer rides on a very outdated VW platform.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 06:56 PM   #40
GuyOh
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LB M2 / 2020 X5 40i

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
2020 Bmw X5 40i  [0.00]
I'm still hoping official pictures will change my mind but its looking like this is the first time ever where I think the S class looks nicer exterior and interior...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 07:03 PM   #41
///S65
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SSII DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul View Post
CF is just a publicity stunt for bmw. This car will only weight 150kg less than the outgoing model - so they say but my now sold f25 x3 was suposed to be 25kg lighter than my 1st gen x3 and I swear it was a good 45 - 60kg heavier - but audi without any CF got its Q7 300kg lighter and the Jag XF again without any CF is way lighter than the outgoing gen (not sure how much but i think I read +100 kg. Its like organic products at supermarket. You pay extra for them but did you you farmers can still label products organic if they use pesticides etc for emergencies? Its bmw markting BS at its best.
The Jag is going Aluminium to get down to a similar weight to the current F10. When the 5-er goes CF, what will Jag do then? I notice that Jaguar normally quote kerb weight..., whereas BMW quote DIN weights... so -75kg for BMW weights, or +75kg for Jaguar weights.

Q7 is a different case, I'm guessing because it no longer rides on a very outdated VW platform.
Exactly! The old Q7 is a pig! Around 5300lbs to be exact. I used to own a Q7 TDI and it felt like a boat. The new Q7 is smaller in size, just a touch heavier than X5.
      03-27-2015, 07:58 PM   #42
E90M3JETS
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3JETS View Post
+1. Very disappointed for BMW. It looks more like a LCI to me than a whole new car. Both inside and outside lack depth and the "new" tech do not excite anyone anymore. The Audi A3 and Chevrolet cars have wifi 4G hotspots already. I wouldn't be surprised if BMW calls for a LCI much sooner to address the shortcomings of this new car like it did with the Bangle 7 series of the early 2000s. What a disaster.
There was no early LCi for the E65/E66. The facelift arrived in early 2005. Exactly half way through the car's life cycle. Despite questionable styling E65/E66 were huge sellers and until the F01 was the best selling 7er generation.
Thank you Scott. I was sure they did it, but trust your knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 03:25 AM   #43
TsvetanVR
Maniac
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Looks ridiculous. No way to even compare it to a Benz of the same class. Someone said CF is too expensive for 3 Series? Well, the M3 or even a fully loaded 335i is more expensive than an Alfa Romeo 4C for example. And we all know what materials Alfa uses there. I believe cf parts prices are held high on purpose. I used to be a die-hard BMW fan since I was 5, but in the past few years my love began to fade. It's like everyone in BMW AG is a robot and the cars are soulless and with no identity whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 05:30 AM   #44
Sako
Registered
Rep
Drives: L7

Quote:
Scott, can I get a word from you about Pullman competitor?
Especially now that MB released S600 Pullman, and that rumored A9 from Audi.

See: http://www.7post.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=369
Appreciate 0