BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

12-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #23
alanza84
alanza
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxcode View Post
Hopefully they can get you a nice warranty and wrap up your car, that's a beautiful machine with so little miles on it!
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #24
frieseke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 750li

You want to hear a horror story about a 7 in the shop? I haven't driven my 7 since August 4th, and today is December 16th. After 35km of driving the car says the tire pressure management system has failed and to get it serviced as quickly as possible. I gave it to the folks at the dealership that I bought it from a half dozen times and they said every time they had it fixed, but they hadn't figured it out. So this last go around, August 4, I just said you take the car and you fix it and I won't take it back till it is fixed.

It had a new car warranty which covers everything here in Canada so I figured it would be something that they could deal with. I guess it has never happened in Canada so they had to talk to Germany and Germany has no idea how to fix it either. They've ordered parts and they are always back ordered so they take 3 weeks to get here. I just paid cash for the car so I don't know what I should do about it. I've put about 1000-2000km on the car not counting all the times driving it to get it serviced and the thousands of km they have put on the car trying to figure it out.

Any advice as to what to do would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #25
alanza84
alanza
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frieseke View Post
You want to hear a horror story about a 7 in the shop? I haven't driven my 7 since August 4th, and today is December 16th. After 35km of driving the car says the tire pressure management system has failed and to get it serviced as quickly as possible. I gave it to the folks at the dealership that I bought it from a half dozen times and they said every time they had it fixed, but they hadn't figured it out. So this last go around, August 4, I just said you take the car and you fix it and I won't take it back till it is fixed.

It had a new car warranty which covers everything here in Canada so I figured it would be something that they could deal with. I guess it has never happened in Canada so they had to talk to Germany and Germany has no idea how to fix it either. They've ordered parts and they are always back ordered so they take 3 weeks to get here. I just paid cash for the car so I don't know what I should do about it. I've put about 1000-2000km on the car not counting all the times driving it to get it serviced and the thousands of km they have put on the car trying to figure it out.

Any advice as to what to do would be appreciated.
In this case I would contact attorney ASAP, put message on twitter and Facebook of BMW Canada. Did you call to BMW corp in Canada ?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #26
frieseke
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm not going to lawyer up till this gets dealt with. A lawyer around here is around 600 bucks an hour and we don't have a sue culture in Canada. I've talked to BMW corp in Canada and they said they would make it right once I get my car back but they can't until it is fixed. Which makes sense because who knows how long it will be out of commission. I'm really not too keen on going the social media route because that burns bridges. I will cross that if BMW corporate is unable to make this right when it all pans out.

After being in court over completely different things having nothing to do with BMW I really really don't want to do that. Court sucks. Even when it is obvious that you are right and they are wrong, the only winners are lawyers. And I've heard stories where you win in court against a big company like BMW and they just don't pay. I'm surprised I have even put this up on here under a pseudonym, its just that I'm so mad by now I had to put it up somewhere.

The other grief is my M5's transmission has something wrong with it too and I'd love to take it into the dealer and have them look at it, but I only have the 2 cars and what would I drive if they were both in the shop? BMW never gives me loaners because I live 300km away from the dealership so they are scared I'd rack up too many km.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #27
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: The M's

Quote:
I'm not going to lawyer up till this gets dealt with. A lawyer around here is around 600 bucks an hour and we don't have a sue culture in Canada. I've talked to BMW corp in Canada and they said they would make it right once I get my car back but they can't until it is fixed. Which makes sense because who knows how long it will be out of commission. I'm really not too keen on going the social media route because that burns bridges. I will cross that if BMW corporate is unable to make this right when it all pans out.

After being in court over completely different things having nothing to do with BMW I really really don't want to do that. Court sucks. Even when it is obvious that you are right and they are wrong, the only winners are lawyers. And I've heard stories where you win in court against a big company like BMW and they just don't pay. I'm surprised I have even put this up on here under a pseudonym, its just that I'm so mad by now I had to put it up somewhere.

The other grief is my M5's transmission has something wrong with it too and I'd love to take it into the dealer and have them look at it, but I only have the 2 cars and what would I drive if they were both in the shop? BMW never gives me loaners because I live 300km away from the dealership so they are scared I'd rack up too many km.
I think in your case, BMW Canada can go the extra mile and give you a loaner. I can't believe you're willing to put up with that. They should give you a loaner no matter what.

2016 BMW X5 ///M
2016 BMW M4 ///M Convertible

aLatteHotte - www.aLatteHotte.com - The Future of Coffee
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #28
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanza84 View Post
In this case I would contact attorney ASAP, put message on twitter and Facebook of BMW Canada. Did you call to BMW corp in Canada ?
Drop the car off. Ask for a loaner. Keep the loaner until all problems are gone. Calculate what your payment would be for a car of that price, demand the Service Director or GM to reimburst you each month the car is in there.

If they disagree, file a lemon. Your case isn't life threatening, so your lemon case will most likely decline. If you been in the shop for more than 12 times for teh same problem per year, it should qualify.

My X5 last died on me in the middle of the street twice (huge liability issue for BMW). In the shop a dozen time with 2 mos. Even then, I couldn't declare a lemon. However, they did give me $$$ for inconvience fees which I was very ok with. I called BMW customer service, GM, and Service Director.

Thank god all my other 3 BMWs owned were trouble free. I would switch to another German brand, but my MB/Audi buddies are saying life isn't much better there. BMW might be the better built ones out of the bunch. I will stay with BMW.

If only the Japs build exciting luxury cars (Lexus are boring - stupid front grill and no turbos, Infinitis look too feminine - Q50 is ok, and the new Acuras are hidious - they need to fire the Acura designer, seriously). I had Acuras and Infinitis, never a single issue. Once was a minor recall on the TL's trunk latch. Other than that, logged hundreds of thousands miles combined on Jap cars.

Last edited by JNoSol; 12-17-2013 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #29
frieseke
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah, I suppose I should have demanded a loaner. Last time I got a loaner it was a rental honda fit. That car was terrible. Anyway, I drove home and when I got back a couple days later they charged me for excessive mileage on the rental. When talking with BMW Canada they did ask me if I had been given a loaner and I remember responding with a "Pfft No - they never do!"

The other trick about being in and out of the shop is up here our shop is so backed up with work you can't be in and out of it a dozen times. You have to book 2-3 weeks in advance to get in. Its almost as bad as doctors! We don't have lemon laws up here in Canada like they do in the states, nor are our courts as mean as the American ones. If I were to lawyer up I wouldn't get very much.

Sad to say because this is a fairly minor issue, it just says that BMW can't fix a minor issue. If BMW can't fix a minor issue what does that mean for major issues? I've had 4 BMWs over the course of my life and they have been very good.

My first BMW was a e39 540i and I loved that car. I put almost 400,000km on that machine without any serious issues. I drove that machine through some of the worst weather and trusted it with my life. I remember the one time it didn't want to start up, it was winter and about -40 outside, I had driven it through the worst blizzard I've ever been through in my life the night before. I drove that car by feel rather than by sight for 300 km. I remember when I got to the city and I could see my final destination that I was safe and the car did it for me. Well, there was so much snow packed into the engine the engine was unable to turn over the next day. I had to open the hood and let it melt a bit from the sun to get it to crank. When I finally got it running, I let it idle roughly for about a half an hour and then I gingerly drove it to an indoor parking lot where I changed my air filters and let the machine melt the snow out. That car was reliable. That car I trusted with my life. This 7, it hasn't earned my trust. I won't go on a long road trip until I've spent enough time with a car to gain its trust. I do short little drives for 3-400 km for a few tries and if anything goes wrong I get it fixed. After a few 3-400 km drives, I'll try a 1000 km trip. Those are fairly safe. If I can do a couple of them without any issue, I might try a 3-4000 km trip. If the car makes it through that, I'm happy with it and I'll keep the car forever.

I hope when my 7 is fixed I'll be able to build trust with it because it is a lovely car. The ride is just so serene and it has presence. I just hope it will.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #30
alanza84
alanza
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hope when my 7 is fixed I'll be able to build trust with it because it is a lovely car. The ride is just so serene and it has presence. I just hope it will.

Last edited by alanza84; 12-23-2013 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #31
alanza84
alanza
United_States
Rep

Just spoke to BMWNA, so they called me and still no clear answers to my questions, every answer for any of my questions was : I DON'T KNOW !!! How come ?????? Please need advice !!! It is CRAZY ! When I spoke to him last monday he said he will get back to me on thursday or monday with clear answers, so of course he called me today (monday), and NO answers to my questions... Is this service for $$$$$$$$ cost car ???
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #32
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I'm not a lawyer but seem to recall something in reading about lemon laws regarding the length of time a car can be in service. I know the laws differ from state to state, but I'd look into whether NJ has any provision regarding the perpetuity of service (aside from just the pure number of attempts to fix it). 30+ days sounds like it's getting up there - maybe not enough to trip a threshold yet, but it certainly seems like it's becoming irrational.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 07:46 PM   #33
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

For what it's worth, I took a look at my home state (CT) lemon laws, and they require 30 or more cumulative days in the shop to repair the issue to qualify - so at least in CT, this car would already qualify as a lemon seeing that 35+ days have passed. Likewise, CT's law also only requires four (4) attempts to fix the same problem ("reasonable attempts") before it's considered a lemon.

That said, I believe the law also requires the car to be less than 2 years old and have less than 24,000 miles on the odometer. I realize CT's law doesn't apply to the cases here, but I suspect it may be similar to the laws of at least NJ. Best of luck with this! I think BMW should be doing a lot more for you than just paying a monthly fee (especially as none exists). You're being deprived use of an expensive asset that depreciates with time - so I'd start with the depreciation effect first... especially for the guy who's been out of use for multiple months.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #34
alanza84
alanza
United_States
Rep

UPDATE Just got my car back. Will be waiting for some compensation from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 08:54 PM   #35
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanza84 View Post
UPDATE Just got my car back. Will be waiting for some compensation from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 08:32 PM   #36
alanza84
alanza
United_States
Rep

My car in service from march 6

Unlucky car in service again since march 6.
They replacing transmision, both bearings

It is so crazy !
Appreciate 0