BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

10-26-2016, 02:03 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

N63 Rough Idling + Drivetrain Malfunctions

Hi all,

My fuel tank was replaced due to a bad fuel level sensor this past Spring, but I've experienced intermittent rough idling since, which I questioned my Service Advisor on, but was told it can't be related to the prior work.

When the temperature dropped last month, the severity and frequency of the rough idling worsened and there have been 6-8 drivetrain malfunctions upon cold morning startups. Upon drivetrain malfunction, I shut down and restart and the error is gone.

I had AutoZone scan my car today and received a receipt stating "P0303: Cylinder 3 Misfire", with possible causes of "Fuel Injector", "Vacuum Leak" or "Engine Mechanical Condition".

My extended warranty covers fuel injectors, but not spark plugs. Any chance this can be spark plug related or would the symptoms and error code be different?

I also had the CCP done a while ago. Would the CCP or the measures thereafter under SI B11 07 15 cover spark plugs if I need them? And if fuel injectors are needed, would this be covered under the CCP or would it go through my extended warranty? The work performed under the CCP is covered for 10 years, correct?

Trying to prevent the dealer from charging a diagnosis fee for spark plugs that I'd have done elsewhere and ideally this would be covered under the CCP, without need to pay an extended warranty deductible.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 03:39 PM   #2
tidal k
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f01 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Hi all,

My fuel tank was replaced due to a bad fuel level sensor this past Spring, but I've experienced intermittent rough idling since, which I questioned my Service Advisor on, but was told it can't be related to the prior work.

When the temperature dropped last month, the severity and frequency of the rough idling worsened and there have been 6-8 drivetrain malfunctions upon cold morning startups. Upon drivetrain malfunction, I shut down and restart and the error is gone.

I had AutoZone scan my car today and received a receipt stating "P0303: Cylinder 3 Misfire", with possible causes of "Fuel Injector", "Vacuum Leak" or "Engine Mechanical Condition".

My extended warranty covers fuel injectors, but not spark plugs. Any chance this can be spark plug related or would the symptoms and error code be different?

I also had the CCP done a while ago. Would the CCP or the measures thereafter under SI B11 07 15 cover spark plugs if I need them? And if fuel injectors are needed, would this be covered under the CCP or would it go through my extended warranty? The work performed under the CCP is covered for 10 years, correct?

Trying to prevent the dealer from charging a diagnosis fee for spark plugs that I'd have done elsewhere and ideally this would be covered under the CCP, without need to pay an extended warranty deductible.

Thank you.

I get the Drivetrain Malfunction once every couple of months and on occasion get the rough idle (as if its gonna stall) .. Things I do differently now..
- change my oil every 5000 miles
-fuel injector cleaner every other tank (then beat on it)

**been ok for me since... Spark plugs are pretty expensive for these bad boys.. might as well try to trouble shoot the cheaper stuff before moving on...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 09:44 PM   #3
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidal k View Post
I get the Drivetrain Malfunction once every couple of months and on occasion get the rough idle (as if its gonna stall) .. Things I do differently now..
- change my oil every 5000 miles
-fuel injector cleaner every other tank (then beat on it)

**been ok for me since... Spark plugs are pretty expensive for these bad boys.. might as well try to trouble shoot the cheaper stuff before moving on...
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 07:06 PM   #4
Mybimmerbrain
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Hi all,

Thank you.
If you have a 2009-2011 750 N63 then yes then the injectors are covered for 10/120k. I have saw the plugs fail in the past. My advise is swap coil 3 to cyl 2, clear faults and see if misfire comes back on cyl 3. It it does then it's a plug or a injector. How many miles do you have btw? And what's you last 7 of vin?
      11-26-2016, 09:23 AM   #5
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thanks Mybimmerbrain; great advice!

55k miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 12:02 PM   #6
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybimmerbrain View Post
If you have a 2009-2011 750 N63 then yes then the injectors are covered for 10/120k. I have saw the plugs fail in the past. My advise is swap coil 3 to cyl 2, clear faults and see if misfire comes back on cyl 3. It it does then it's a plug or a injector. How many miles do you have btw? And what's you last 7 of vin?
the leaky injectors drip on the plugs and that's what causes them to fail. A good SA should understand this and get them covered.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #7
Mybimmerbrain
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate650 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybimmerbrain View Post
the leaky injectors drip on the plugs and that's what causes them to fail. A good SA should understand this and get them covered.
Correct Upstate. Spoke to wty department and plugs would be considered "consequential" from the leaking fuel injector fouling the plugs ??
      11-29-2016, 02:49 PM   #8
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Absolutely fantastic info and insight Gentlemen!!!
Appreciate 0