BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

12-22-2016, 03:53 PM   #1
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Switching gyms

So I'm fortunate to work right next door to a 24 hour fitness, literally a 30 foot distance from my office building. But I'm considering switching gyms just because I'm so sick of this 24 being so run-down and poorly maintained. Oh and the workers are douches/douchettes

Theres a Golds Gym a couple blocks away and there are two LA Fitness' on the way home. Has anyone switched from 24 to either of these other gyms?

Golds looks like it might be maintained better, but locations are slim

LA is good because they have multiple locations, but not as well maintained as Golds
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 04:04 PM   #2
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

The golds I used to go to was always on the verge of collapse. Never enough pins for weight stacks, you have to look around and find one that is the right size and snag it to do your set. Pads were always ripped. Weights strewn all over the place.

Then World bought them. Never enough pins for weight stacks, you have to look around and find one that is the right size and snag it to do your set. Pads were always ripped. Weights strewn all over the place.

Still where I choose to go because it's roughly 1 mile from my house.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 04:16 PM   #3
TheNus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

I've used all three and it is mostly dependent on location and how long it's been there. Gold's in Vegas was my gym and it was great but the one near me in Dallas is nothing special. The LA fitness near me is nice because it's new but the older ones are lacking. I would just go ask for a trial pass and see if you like any of them. 24 Hour Fitness also depends on the location and its sub-designation like active or sport

Last edited by TheNus; 12-22-2016 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 04:26 PM   #4
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

The Golds near me is inside a mall, but it looks clean from when I've passed by. One of the LA fitness' near me is fairly new so it's decently maintained. My old office's 24 was the best I've gone to, it was a super sport.

I just got a 2 week free pass to Gold's. So I'll try em out I guess. I think it would roughly be the same price. LA is asking a bit too much for essentially the same gym but less availability and access
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 05:45 PM   #5
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

you are leaving because of douches and want to go to Golds? The stereotypes of Golds is real.

Ive been members of all 3 and i liked LA Fitness the best out of them. Decent pricing and they have nice equipment. IMO though I enjoy having a gym close to work vs close to home. My current gym (independent) is a few minutes from my office, about 20-30 from home, and Ive been there for 2 years now. So nice to hit the gym during a slow time and not have to stop on the way home.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 02:25 AM   #6
cruisingdownthestreet
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4

if gold's or LA fitness would agree to a $15/mo (or less )membership i'd join. after 5 years i'm ready for a change of scenery. why $15? costco
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 11:21 AM   #7
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bicycle - reducing carbon

I worked for a personal training company inside of a Gold's gym for about 5 years in college.

If they are run anything like the ones here in middle-TN, I would so no way.

Goal is dirt cheap memberships, pack people in like sardines, and make it a huge PITA to cancel your membership. I remember training clients during January and literally having a 3-4 ft space for the two of us to work in.

Could be better in CA though.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 09:44 AM   #8
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

I leave for Florida on 2/14 for 2 months. There is a Planet Fitness gym near where we are staying. Temporary membership is $1 down/ $10 per month. Looks nice, cant beat the price. Anybody ever use one.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 10:17 AM   #9
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I'm a member of LA Fitness, mostly because it is pretty close and cheap. I also like that I can use them in many of the areas I travel. Since I have used many of their gyms I realized that it depends more on the individual gym than the overall.

As said above, get a week trial and make sure you go during the time periods you plan to actually use it. If I went to LA Fitness only during the slow times it would be great but many times, after work it is really crowded.
      02-05-2017, 01:03 PM   #10
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I suppose this is highly dependent on where you live. In my neck of the woods, the 24 hr fitness is new and beautiful, whereas the Golds is kinda $hitty and overpriced.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 01:05 PM   #11
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
I leave for Florida on 2/14 for 2 months. There is a Planet Fitness gym near where we are staying. Temporary membership is $1 down/ $10 per month. Looks nice, cant beat the price. Anybody ever use one.
Idk if they'll let you join for just two months. Why not just find a location of the current gym you are a part of and go there?

I was in the Seattle area for a month and found a solid deal on Living Social for Gold's. Paid $25 for the entire month instead of the $90 the crooks at the gym itself were asking.

I've never gone to PF but they have a reputation for being a pansy gym for a reason. Just check out some of the content on youtube.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 01:33 PM   #12
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I suppose this is highly dependent on where you live. In my neck of the woods, the 24 hr fitness is new and beautiful, whereas the Golds is kinda $hitty and overpriced.
This.

Not all 24s are run down and not all Golds are well maintained.

I have yet to find a 24 gym that isn't packed like sardines, but you get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 08:24 AM   #13
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Idk if they'll let you join for just two months. Why not just find a location of the current gym you are a part of and go there?

I was in the Seattle area for a month and found a solid deal on Living Social for Gold's. Paid $25 for the entire month instead of the $90 the crooks at the gym itself were asking.

I've never gone to PF but they have a reputation for being a pansy gym for a reason. Just check out some of the content on youtube.
I don't belong to a gym at home. My gym is in my home. I just need a gym for 2 months.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 08:31 AM   #14
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
I don't belong to a gym at home. My gym is in my home. I just need a gym for 2 months.
I found this difficult to find as most gyms do whatever possible to lock you into a membership for a year. I have done a number of things when traveling, I'm a member of LA Fitness so this works depending on where I go, some gyms will let you visit for $5-$10 a visit if you have a hotel key, sometimes they don't even check, I have done the "thinking about joining" to give me a free pass for a week but it is a pain in the neck.

Best option if staying in a hotel is some will have an agreement with a local gym where you can go for free. You bring your key with you and sign in.
      02-16-2017, 12:33 PM   #15
Rayscott
Major
Rep

I will be checking out Planet Fitness when we get into Naples on Friday. If the gyms don't work out I brought my weights and bike. I can always do core work and weights. I plan on riding my bike a lot as the weather is perfect in Naples now.
Appreciate 0