BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

03-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #243
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
One more sleep to go (Or not if your too excited). Know you'll be busy with your new baby but if you get a chance let us know how your first day / weekend goes with the car. A few pics never hurt either
Has the baby come already? I believe that delivery was scheduled for July? (or at least later...one can tell 325_bucks is a car fan, scheduling the baby appropriately to have enough time to enjoy the new car first!) we've not had updates on that front! In any case, agree, would be great to hear first impressions and some pics of the car (either in the post your best pic thread or elsewhere!)

Quote:
I think I mentioned this might not be worth it in the UK as they'd rarely come on with out traffic density. You however claimed they came on all the time... How do I get a refund from you for miss representing the product?
Heh! Caveat Emptor! (just to clarify: I think ICON Adaptive are indeed very good and worthwhile. The lasers are nice but not on enough to really justify them IMO.)

Quote:
In fairness I've ordered night vision too, probably another pointless feature 99.99% of the time but if ever a human / deer was to be picked up at night it only has to work once to probably be worth the money. Mr Wolf's fees are far higher to clean a human out of the paint work
No, let's face it, if we could, we'd all have it all...you, my friend are the lucky so and so that gets to have his cake and eat it too! ^ We'd have the options and the 760 if we could (if we're honest!) Necessary, not a chance, useful? Yes, potentially for that one time it may be helpful or save your life...but realistically, 325_bucks has a stunning car config and the majority of options one can usually justify to the other half! You'll have to let us know how you pitched the features to the wife?

Quote:
Not looked but was the 740d only available with xDrive? So you pick that your forced to take xDrive as well.
Good spot! Indeed, just checked and 740 only with x drive (likely to help keep the power on the ground), interestingly, the 725d doesn't have x drive as an option at all...730 can be, 740 must have. Not sure I'd always want it on for the 740 to be honest, (the 760 is another story!)

Quote:
Probably not faster at all as would be too much traffic so you'd easily be in with a shout of beating me there. That and I don't have the optional stealth paint and number plate delete options to help me with the rozzers

Funny about the Shell garages. I was considering doing the Scotland North Coast 500 route but I'd need to see what the fuel station situation is like as I don't want to get stranded. You guys could make it all the way around on a single tank easily.
Nah, just paint it the same colour as one of your troublesome neighbours and get a duplicate plate of theirs as well...simples!

We can be your petrol convoy for the Scotland 500 run.... Although, not sure our load capacity will be enough between the two of us!

Both properly stunning cars you guys are getting, one well over the top but incredible, the other a very well and intelligently spec'd car with plenty of fun still possible, when the other half and little one aren't in it!

Any update on yours FLJB?

Last edited by Pelo Cat; 03-09-2018 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: clarification on adaptive v laser lights.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #244
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Yep you’re right Pelo, baby due July, just getting prepared and giving myself enough time to enjoy the car! One more sleep (I hate that term) but looking forward to the morning!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 01:27 PM   #245
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
Yep you’re right Pelo, baby due July, just getting prepared and giving myself enough time to enjoy the car! One more sleep (I hate that term) but looking forward to the morning!
^ Drive carefully tomorrow and enjoy!

I'll tell you now that the ACC takes some getting used to...you'll definitely need it at 2 bars distance or even 1 at first or you'll go mad...

The lane monitoring function also takes some getting used to...best to set it to high sensitivity at first or you may forget it is trying to drive and end up fighting it quite a bit...I did at first anyway...ended up with a sore arm for a day or so!

Try not to smile too much or any police will think you are up to something!

Safe travels, really pleased that you'll get yours tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 02:30 PM   #246
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Has the baby come already? I believe that delivery was scheduled for July?
His new car baby. Not fully grown until it's done 1,200 careful miles

Quote:
Heh! Caveat Emptor! (just to clarify: I think ICON Adaptive are indeed very good and worthwhile. The lasers are nice but not on enough to really justify them IMO.)
Very much a B road thing I imagine. Still looking forward to giving them a whirl as I've yet to see what they can do.

Quote:
No, let's face it, if we could, we'd all have it all...you, my friend are the lucky so and so that gets to have his cake and eat it too! ^ We'd have the options and the 760 if we could (if we're honest!) Necessary, not a chance, useful? Yes, potentially for that one time it may be helpful or save your life...but realistically, 325_bucks has a stunning car config and the majority of options one can usually justify to the other half! You'll have to let us know how you pitched the features to the wife?
Well I told my wife that my good friend, Gangster Princess said the laser lights come on all the time so it's definitely worth the money

In fairness she takes little interest in the cars I pick and their options so no explaining required. The only things she's interested in is heated seats and how she can play her poor choice of music over my speakers.

Quote:
Good spot! Indeed, just checked and 740 only with x drive (likely to help keep the power on the ground), interestingly, the 725d doesn't have x drive as an option at all...730 can be, 740 must have. Not sure I'd always want it on for the 740 to be honest, (the 760 is another story!)
Hadn't even noticed there was a 725d. Certainly that wasn't available early on in the G11 / 12's life. Just had a look and they are getting 231hp out of a 4 cylinder now. Think that's pretty much the same hp as the E90 330d I used to have. Still a 4 cylinder in a car like this doesn't feel right. I wonder how many would pick that model.

Quote:
We can be your petrol convoy for the Scotland 500 run.... Although, not sure our load capacity will be enough between the two of us!
I can imagine if the roads aren't that wide people getting annoyed with 3 really long cars all trying to use tiny passing places and so on.

Quote:
Any update on yours FLJB?
Not chased it since Monday. Maybe will do it again over the weekend or on Monday. Guessing they'll be building it mainly next week / week after. Do hope they can maybe get it here just before April but I imagine the German's know to the minute what time it'll arrive at my dealers and it'll be early April as they say.

Quote:
I'll tell you now that the ACC takes some getting used to...you'll definitely need it at 2 bars distance or even 1 at first or you'll go mad...
I can relate to that, first time I had a car with this and your approaching another car wondering if it really is going to slow down or not. However it works amazingly well even going back quite a few years when I had it, I imagine it's probably improved even more.

As an example had one of the first ones that would do stop and go traffic. However it often wouldn't brake to a stop smoothly so it could be quite jerky. You know like at the last minute coming off the brake a tad so the stop is smooth. I suspect these days they do that without issue. No one is going to accept that in a 7 series, they might spill their champagne in the back

Last edited by FastLaneJB; 03-09-2018 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #247
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Mine was 1 week ahead of the scheduled delivery week though so you never know
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #248
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
His new car baby. Not fully grown until it's done 1,200 careful miles
Heh! Is that the first service interval or are there several in between?

Quote:
Well I told my wife that my good friend, Gangster Princess said the laser lights come on all the time so it's definitely worth the money

In fairness she takes little interest in the cars I pick and their options so no explaining required. The only things she's interested in is heated seats and how she can play her poor choice of music over my speakers.
very true! I have been accused of doing such things before with work colleagues regarding other brands and products when doing trips to the US! (he forced me to buy this apple watch, honest love! I couldn't go in and let him buy one alone could I?

Yeah, mine's the same generally, stereo and seat settings all that matter!

Quote:
Hadn't even noticed there was a 725d. Certainly that wasn't available early on in the G11 / 12's life. Just had a look and they are getting 231hp out of a 4 cylinder now. Think that's pretty much the same hp as the E90 330d I used to have. Still a 4 cylinder in a car like this doesn't feel right. I wonder how many would pick that model.
I noticed some literature started mentioning it back in Oct. 17 but nothing showed for the longest time, only very recently they added it to the configurator. (think this month even). I'd not want it but it would be good for emissions I'm guessing and they can point to it as the class leading in such things I'm guessing and helps bump up the prices of the other models while still keeping the base model entrance price at low 60k.

Quote:
I can imagine if the roads aren't that wide people getting annoyed with 3 really long cars all trying to use tiny passing places and so on.

Quote:
Not chased it since Monday. Maybe will do it again over the weekend or on Monday. Guessing they'll be building it mainly next week / week after. Do hope they can maybe get it here just before April but I imagine the German's know to the minute what time it'll arrive at my dealers and it'll be early April as they say.
Hope it comes early for you like 325_bucks did, although 8th April I'm away on another business trip so that would be a good time to deliver it...then I can't be jealous until at least a week later!

Quote:
I can relate to that, first time I had a car with this and your approaching another car wondering if it really is going to slow down or not. However it works amazingly well even going back quite a few years when I had it, I imagine it's probably improved even more.

As an example had one of the first ones that would do stop and go traffic. However it often wouldn't brake to a stop smoothly so it could be quite jerky. You know like at the last minute coming off the brake a tad so the stop is smooth. I suspect these days they do that without issue. No one is going to accept that in a 7 series, they might spill their champagne in the back
yeah, very good and smooth for both acceleration and stopping. No surprises involved. The only thing that does get me is the blind spot monitor (still)...as when the cars are quite close together in the outside lane and you want to jump in...the damn thing is always going to flash a storm because you can't wait until it is clear or you'd never get out!

Safe travels. ^ The first day of the rest of your 7 life starts tomorrow 325-bucks!
      03-09-2018, 03:19 PM   #249
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

I’m really looking forward to it handling traffic jams, I know it’s ultimate laziness but even with no clutch to worry about, I still hate being on and off the brakes so hopefully this will help manage things in that respect without my intervention so it’s nice and relaxing!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 03:22 PM   #250
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I’m really looking forward to it handling traffic jams, I know it’s ultimate laziness but even with no clutch to worry about, I still hate being on and off the brakes so hopefully this will help manage things in that respect without my intervention so it’s nice and relaxing!
Indeed, I enjoy them now mostly...you can do things hands free and it really freaks people out beside you...

At least up to 10 mph or so...then it does things all on its own...above that you need to touch the wheel with your leg or hand ever so often.

I'd call it enjoying the comforts of life personally, not lazy at all!
      03-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #251
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Indeed, I enjoy them now mostly...you can do things hands free and it really freaks people out beside you...

At least up to 10 mph or so...then it does things all on its own...above that you need to touch the wheel with your leg or hand ever so often.

Oh so I was looking for that confirmation, so it’s true that when I’m traffic at low speeds, you don’t need to put your hands on the wheel every so often?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 03:33 PM   #252
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh so I was looking for that confirmation, so it’s true that when I’m traffic at low speeds, you don’t need to put your hands on the wheel every so often?
I've been checking this when possible and as far as I have been able to tell, yes, as long as you are in single digit speeds and on ACC, it has not needed me to touch the wheel...if you get up to 12-15 mph though, it will...

(slightly difficult to tell though as usually the traffic stops before I can tell if it is simple that reason I haven't had to touch it or if it is indeed okay as long as speeds 9 mph or lower.) I've had it go a couple hundred yards though at crawl speeds of 1-2 mph and not need to touch the wheel. ^ It is particularly good at such slow speeds, a human would be faster...so it can properly crawl when needed and possible.

Hope that helps and hope you don't have to find out tomorrow as your first day!
      03-09-2018, 03:52 PM   #253
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Mine was 1 week ahead of the scheduled delivery week though so you never know
That would be ideal as I'm off work the last two weeks of March. Holiday I have to use up, if I could get it then that would be great as lots of time to go off driving.

Quote:
I first got fed up of manual cars when I had a Mondeo ages ago and it had a particularly heavy clutch peddle. Until that point I had the mindset of why would I ever want an automatic, manuals were so much better.

However stuck in traffic once for over an hour just creeping on a motorway and my leg was aching quite a bit. That pushed me to switch to an automatic and I'd never really go back now. However then you've the brake pedal though never normally as hard so it's not a big deal.

Finally the new 7 can solve it all with it's Auto H and driving itself at slow speed. Finally no more leg issues in jams
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 03:16 AM   #254
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Slumming it at the local premier inn grabbing all you can eat breakfast. 45 mins till my appointment!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 03:30 AM   #255
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I remember that feeling...

Weather okay where you are or is it tipping down? Hope you get a decent rain free period to drive it away at least!

Loved the journey to this point, do let us know how the handover went and what your thoughts are when you do decide to get out of the car again

Safe travels today!
      03-10-2018, 03:31 AM   #256
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

It’s not raining yet but wet on the ground. Means the car is going to be salt covered by the time I get home! I’ll post updates as I can
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 03:53 AM   #257
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

[IMG] web hosting png[/IMG]

Even the BMW water has a part number!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 04:01 AM   #258
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Ha! Leave it to the efficient Germans to have a part number for everything...wonder if the loo rolls have a part number printed on the inside of the roll!

You're better than I am, I had to drive by the dealer a few times to see if I could find the car and check it out before the hand over...

Love the updates!
      03-10-2018, 04:40 AM   #259
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

At last the day has arrived for you. Need my day to come as it feels like time has stood still since I ordered it.

My handover is normally always quick as they know I'll have read the manual and all the functions so don't need to go over it for me.

EDIT: Just chased mine and it's 5500 Assembly complete. They'd not even started building it on Monday I think, man those German's are fast. Now to phone the dealer to get the VIN.

Last edited by FastLaneJB; 03-10-2018 at 05:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 05:43 AM   #260
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Well I’ve collected and left the dealer and popped to a local shop. Got back in and tried to set my home destination and the Nav is not activated! Now back st dealers hoping they can sort it quickly. Otherwise the experience so far has been amazing, it’s so refined!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 05:51 AM   #261
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Few initial quick and (literally) dirty pictures due to them not cleaning it as requested. Even had the transport plastic still on before this!

Appreciate 1
      03-10-2018, 06:00 AM   #262
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Stunning. ^ Thanks for keeping us posted, love the updates.

Very jealous of the heated steering wheel! (need to get the extended heating next time).

Although I'm not a black car person, I do love this black with the way the metallic colour shows a blue hue in some light, very nice.

I do love the M Sport front look...and your wheels look great on it. ^

Interesting that the HK speaker grills are darker than mine, didn't realise they matched it to the interior colour but nice that it does. ^

Curious if you'll look at some point to go all black? (grill and rear chrome strip?) The back rear black chrome replacement can be bought from the BMW shop...but first things first eh? (enjoy the new car! Glad your first impressions are as you hoped. Hope they get the Sat Nav sorted for you).

Do check the connected drive bits as well...that was a faff on mine and took a few days to get sorted.

Have you pressed every button yet

Enjoy, love it.
      03-10-2018, 06:13 AM   #263
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Looks stunning, no doubt even better once you've had it detailed and protected though only looks to have a couple of mud splashs. No big deal as you'd get that anyway after half a mile on the roads.

Get it home quick and code the limiter out for when your in Germany

Yeah it's generally always taken a few days to get the Connected Drive stuff sorted and app connected. I think generally can do that all yourself as long as the dealer has activated the Nav and SIM in the car of course. Which hopefully by now they have.

Quote:
Very jealous of the heated steering wheel! (need to get the extended heating next time).
How did you not order that? I'd have thought you'd tick all the comfort options being GP
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 06:16 AM   #264
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

I’m just browsing the shops while they sort the code out for the nav. Actually that’s a lie I’m sitting in the car park of the shops going through every menu!

I’m not usually a black car person either but in the light that blue really shines.

Ceramic controls are fantastic, heated armrests are surprisingly amazing, yet to choose which ambient air scent to go for as I want to enjoy the new car smell for a bit!
Appreciate 0