BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

02-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
SK7
Private
Rep
Drives: G11 730d

New multifunction instrument display

So, I'm configuring my car and I stopped - whats your opinion about multifunction instrument display? I mean whats your opinion about it, I know, the osxcode thinks that it's fantastic, but I'm not sure. So whats your opinion about it - you liked it or not so much?

Thanks guys!
      02-17-2014, 11:42 PM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK7
So, I'm configuring my car and I stopped - whats your opinion about multifunction instrument display? I mean whats your opinion about it, I know, the osxcode thinks that it's fantastic, but I'm not sure. So whats your opinion about it - you liked it or not so much?

Thanks guys!
The display is cool. But, I still can't get over the cheesy 2 dimensional gas and oil temp gages. They look toyish.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 08:39 AM   #3
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

I agree with OSX here.Its really nice.A lot of information goes on it which is clear and easy to read.The two dimensional temp and gas gauges don't bother me as my expectations from those gauges have always been minimal.Not a deal breaker but is it not standard now on the 14's.I love the HUD better though.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthestck
I agree with OSX here.Its really nice.A lot of information goes on it which is clear and easy to read.The two dimensional temp and gas gauges don't bother me as my expectations from those gauges have always been minimal.Not a deal breaker but is it not standard now on the 14's.I love the HUD better though.
I think I might be rationalising a bit to hide my jealousy. I really wanted the new display too. I was so bummed to find out my 2013 750 Xdrive order missed having the option by a few weeks.

Given the choice, I would probably take the new display in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
I think I might be rationalising a bit to hide my jealousy. I really wanted the new display too. I was so bummed to find out my 2013 750 Xdrive order missed having the option by a few weeks.

I was surprised that the LCI did not come with the new display.The 2013 's should have come with the new display to start off with.It was a very very bad move from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 09:54 PM   #6
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthestck
Quote:

I was surprised that the LCI did not come with the new display.The 2013 's should have come with the new display to start off with.It was a very very bad move from BMW.
I did complain to BMW's senior management that I should be allowed to upgrade (at my expense) to the digital instrument cluster and the new iDrive touch. They both literally came out moments after I bought my car.

I was so pissed because I was led to believe the major upgrades were in the LCI and nothing new would be coming out.

I pleaded with senior management at BMW corporate. I was willing to pay for the upgrade, I just wanted it to be supported by my warranty.

I begged and explained that I was a near 20 year BMW customer and that I was on my sixth 7 series! I explained that this was not fair because the digital cluster and iDrive touch were so materially different and that really means the LCI wasn't dispatched until 2014---not 2013 as BMW advertised.

Well, in the end the CEO's office at BMW told me in so many words to take a hike.

That's loyalty for ya! I shall remember it 8 months from now when my lease is up. It's time to consider a Benz. I believe I made a very good case and the CEO's office at BMW was unmoved.

BMW doesn't realize that loyalty from customers like me are the reason for BMW's success. And, when you get a 20 year customer making a great case that he was dealt a bad deal, BMW should remedy the problem without batting an eyelash.

Well, that didn't happen. There was no follow through. No follow up. All I get was a door slam. I hear that door slam every month when I sign BMW's check for my 750 and another check for my wife's x1.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 06:54 AM   #7
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I did complain to BMW's senior management that I should be allowed to upgrade (at my expense) to the digital instrument cluster and the new iDrive touch. They both literally came out moments after I bought my car.

I was so pissed because I was led to believe the major upgrades were in the LCI and nothing new would be coming out.

I pleaded with senior management at BMW corporate. I was willing to pay for the upgrade, I just wanted it to be supported by my warranty.

I begged and explained that I was a near 20 year BMW customer and that I was on my sixth 7 series! I explained that this was not fair because the digital cluster and iDrive touch were so materially different and that really means the LCI wasn't dispatched until 2014---not 2013 as BMW advertised.

Well, in the end the CEO's office at BMW told me in so many words to take a hike.

That's loyalty for ya! I shall remember it 8 months from now when my lease is up. It's time to consider a Benz. I believe I made a very good case and the CEO's office at BMW was unmoved.

BMW doesn't realize that loyalty from customers like me are the reason for BMW's success. And, when you get a 20 year customer making a great case that he was dealt a bad deal, BMW should remedy the problem without batting an eyelash.

Well, that didn't happen. There was no follow through. No follow up. All I get was a door slam. I hear that door slam every month when I sign BMW's check for my 750 and another check for my wife's x1.
Wow! I can understand your frustration.I don't understand why BMW was so adamant to just offer the warranty for the upgrade.As I have said its not a deal breaker in an otherwise good car.But I agree with you ,I think you should try other horizons but I doubt you will get any different treatment from MBUSA or any other company.I am pretty sure they will throw in a bone for you when you decide to move on at the end of the lease.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 11:26 AM   #8
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: The M's

Quote:

I love the cluster, it's a must for me. I upgraded the cluster in my 2013 because I liked it so much on the other 2 2014's I have. The display is beautiful and colorful in the daytime and I love how it shows the nav, I have the head up display but i much prefer the mini-instruction in the cluster, its neat. I like how sport mode changes to sporty, easy to read gauges while the eco mode looks sort of charlatan. Bimmertech can sell you the cluster (though not inexpensive) and they have dealers, hopefully near you. I had to make 3 trips to my bimmertech dealer until they got everything coded correctly, so I would be dishonest if i said it wasn't a nightmarish experience, though worth it in the end.

2016 BMW X5 ///M
2016 BMW M4 ///M Convertible

aLatteHotte - www.aLatteHotte.com - The Future of Coffee
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Quote:

was this from BMW corporate or a BMW dealership? If its corporate....just take it to any dealership and have them do the work. I dont see why a dealership wouldnt do it, i mean it is money in their pocket.

if you want, do it yourself....theres plenty of resources online that can help you
      04-03-2014, 01:45 PM   #10
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict View Post
was this from BMW corporate or a BMW dealership? If its corporate....just take it to any dealership and have them do the work. I dont see why a dealership wouldnt do it, i mean it is money in their pocket.

if you want, do it yourself....theres plenty of resources online that can help you
He was ready to pay, He was only asking for a warranty for the upgrade and was denied.I doubt the dealer would be able to help him out there.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #11
335ifanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: Revuelto, Urus Performante, X5

The multifunction display wasn't available in 2013 models because it wasn't approved for vehicles sold in North America because BMW didn't get the proper approvals.

And I assume that's why BMW refuses to install these displays in pre-2014 models. You can always purchase the unit aftermarket and have it installed, it's basically a 15 minute job.
Appreciate 0