BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #111
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi
Ridiculous!

M3 fans prefer the more (soft)"hard-core" M3 over its rivals (RC F, RS4/5, AMG C), because "race-car"/"track-car", then ask BMW an even more (and truly) radical car badged CSL/GTS, and when Mustang has the car for them, they are worried about it being to harsh as a daily driver. No wonder BMW won't build any M CLS/GTS models for any of these "soft"-core fanboys.
Just stick some M badges on it and with a set of kidney grilles and angel eyes. Then this forum would break.

Could you imagine the hype if BMW announced anything like this? If only.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2014, 09:55 AM   #112
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
Could you imagine the hype if BMW announced anything like this? If only.
Yes I can imagine that:

Do people even realise this car makes more power than M4, makes more torque than M4, revs higher than any M4 ever will, sounds better than AMG C 63 (4.0l V8 Turbo) and has a manual unlike the 911 GT3 (991)?

This Mustang, even kills my beloved RC F! So what about M4? Looks like an overpriced 435i.
Appreciate 2
      11-23-2014, 12:34 AM   #113
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Do people even realise this car makes more power than M4, makes more torque than M4, revs higher than any M4 ever will, sounds better than AMG C 63 (4.0l V8 Turbo) and has a manual unlike the 911 GT3 (991)?
+1

Ford is not going to be able to keep up with demand for this car.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 01:23 AM   #114
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

I'm willing to bet that if Ford/Shelby keeps up past pricing policies that there will be a 20K+ markup on the window (unfortunately).
      11-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #115
Zeus78
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Comp. Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
I'm willing to bet that if Ford/Shelby keeps up past pricing policies that there will be a 20K+ markup on the window (unfortunately).
I don't think / hope so... Competition out there is pretty good so if they want 20K over sticker someone will just go get a base Z06 or Hellcat...

You never know though.

Either way... its a good time to be a gear-head and have these problems!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 04:18 PM   #116
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
Some dealers will have adm's but not all. Msrp will be a good price on this atleast for the first year.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 04:22 PM   #117
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Quote:
Yes I can imagine that:

This Mustang, even kills my beloved RC F! So what about M4? Looks like an overpriced 435i.
+350.

I had a 335is and thought it was an underpriced m3 but that was back in 2011.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #118
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus78 View Post
I don't think / hope so... Competition out there is pretty good so if they want 20K over sticker someone will just go get a base Z06 or Hellcat...

You never know though.

Either way... its a good time to be a gear-head and have these problems!
Yep, no one is going to pay 70k for this when they can go get themselves a Z06. If it is priced in the low to mid 50's then I will be selling my Z435i in a few years to buy this.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 04:46 PM   #119
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambobimmer View Post
Yep, no one is going to pay 70k for this when they can go get themselves a Z06. If it is priced in the low to mid 50's then I will be selling my Z435i in a few years to buy this.
Some people don't like corvettes.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 05:35 PM   #120
MSport28
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 / G30 540

Where do I begin …

I've been a Ford fan since I was born, worked for Ford Corporate, worked for a Ford dealership, and my family has only ever driven Ford vehicles, aside from BMW's (preceded by Audi's). I had a 2011 Mustang GT California Special … good car, lots of fun, but not fast enough. My dad currently drives a 2014 Mustang GT with the Brembo brake and Track packages (basically a Boss 302 since they don't make them anymore). With a 6-speed and 3.73 rear end, his car is even more fun. I also owned a 2007 GT500 Shelby with more mods than I can remember, resulting in a car that produced 725 hp at the crank, sat on fully adjustable suspension, and could be heard from a mile away. That car was fun!

The new GT350 is designed to be the track weapon alternative to a Camaro Z/28. The car looks amazing in my opinion and will surely do well. The outgoing GT500 produced 662 hp from a purpose-built, fairly exotic and technologically advanced (for American car standards) 5.8L 351 V8. There is no way in heck that Ford's "pinnacle" Mustang will produce "only" "around" 500 hp. The reason I lay that out is in terms of price - the GT350 will likely be around $50-55k depending on options (navigation, track package) and the next generation GT500 will maintain it's $60k+ price tag. Ford cannot take the price of the Mustang's too high because then they stop competing with Camaro's and start competing with Corvette's, which is likely comparing apples and oranges. You can't put a car that glorifies rental car fleets against a purpose built sports car. And with the Challenger Hellcat producing 707 hp, the new GT500 will be up around 700 hp for sure. Shelby American in Las Vegas (the actual Shelby shop) takes the current cars up to 1000 hp, so the 5.8 motor is capable of so much more.

I am a huge BMW fan as well and plan on getting a M3/4 in the next year or so as my daily driver. I am leaning toward the M3 for practicality sake but if I wanted a coupe, how could I not look at the GT350 as faster (dare I say) competitor for probably $10-15k less?!

Sorry if my post was all over the place
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 05:38 PM   #121
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:

Pretty much sums it up.
      11-24-2014, 06:15 PM   #122
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm hoping the price isn't outrageous either. I'm a mustang fan too, though I doubt I can afford the beast : (

Maybe it's our crazy Hawaii dealers and their "ADM?" I remember when my friend tried getting a C6 a few years ago, they wanted 10K+ markup (LOL). He ended up bringing one in from the states for under MSRP.
      11-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #123
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

What are the target production number on these, or are they building to demand?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #124
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
What are the target production number on these, or are they building to demand?
Hopefully the latter, and with the X-plan available eventually.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #125
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Why do all of these American muscle / track car junkies feel the need to defend and justify their GT350/ATS-V/Hellcats against the Germans? Every forum about a new American track star eventually results into a bunch of cowboys sitting around and agreeing with each other why buying the next American muscle car is a no brainer over the M4/C63/RS5. Don't you have better things to talk about?

Gossip is the lowest form of discourse.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #126
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Get angry.

I don't care for the belittling of the M3/4 in here; this car doesn't need that. It will speak for itself.

However, this is the non-BMW subforum. These are the kinds of discussions that happen in here. If you don't like it, read another thread maybe...?

You don't have better things to do than complain about people praising a car on a car forum? I'll tell you what, a better thing to do would be to refute what you're upset about. Or just ignore obvious troll posts. Either way, it's better than just throwing your hands up in the air and feeling the need to tell us you're doing so.

Make it fun at least.

Last edited by ragingclue; 11-24-2014 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #127
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue
Get angry.

I don't care for the belittling of the M3/4 in here; this car doesn't need that. It will speak for itself.

However, this is the non-BMW subforum. These are the kinds of discussions that happen in here. If you don't like it, read another thread maybe...?

You don't have better things to do than complain about people praising a car on a car forum? I'll tell you what, a better thing to do would be to refute what you're upset about. Or just ignore obvious troll posts. Either way, it's better than just throwing your hands up in the air and feeling the need to tell us you're doing so.

Make it fun at least.
I think you missed the point of my comment completely. I am all for praising a car for what it's worth, my posts about the M4 are evidence. However, when I or most posters praise the M3/4 on the forum we don't do it by constantly defending it against competitors. Sure it happens but there aren't multiple pages of somewhat highly biased posts. My question is about the general nature of comments on this forum constantly defending/justifying the American muscle against Germans. Sorry if my original post wasn't clear.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #128
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
there aren't multiple pages of somewhat highly biased posts.
C'mon now.

You guys got it when it was on top of the world, wait until the car ages and the competitors catch up. It will happen plenty, very soon. That's just the way it goes. I think BMW is used as a measuring stick around here because it's a common point of reference. It's also been a perennial benchmark in a lot of areas for long stretches of time. I don't really think there's much circle-jerk going on in here.

There aren't a lot of "somewhat highly biased posts" over there? Really?

I did not miss your point at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 10:51 PM   #129
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

The M3 was never intended to be hardcore performance car, with the exception of the E30, E46 CSL, ultra rare GTR, and E9x GTS. What the M is really about a good balance of luxury, comfort, practicality, and performance. And it is really good at BALANCING all of that even to these days, with all the AMGs, RS, F, V, whatever.

Don't get me wrong, I love the new GT350 and Z06, these cars are some of the best performance bargains you can buy right now. But if you want a LUXURY sport sedan, the M still offers some of the best cars in the business. So seriously, quite the bashings and start to appreciate the fact that different cars are built with different purposes.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 10:56 PM   #130
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue
The M3 was never intended to be hardcore performance car, with the exception of the E30, E46 CSL, ultra rare GTR, and E9x GTS. What the M is really about a good balance of luxury, comfort, practicality, and performance. And it is really good at BALANCING all of that even to these days, with all the AMGs, RS, F, V, whatever.

Don't get me wrong, I love the new GT350 and Z06, these cars are some of the best performance bargains you can buy right now. But if you want a LUXURY sport sedan, the M still offers some of the best cars in the business. So seriously, quite the bashings and start to appreciate the fact that different cars are built with different purposes.
Very well said.

I would also add, in line to my earlier point, that there are a lot more topics to talk about on this forum regarding the gt350 other than comparing it to other cars / benchmarks. Just seems like 6 pages of bashing other cars
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 11:08 PM   #131
Zeus78
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Comp. Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post

Agreed 100%... That why I'm driving what I'm driving. I just wish BMW kept the price in balance also... If they keep the price in check I could understand. The error they are making is they have too many lines with the m badge without the m performance at crazy prices then when they come out with the real M the price is sky high... I think the M3/M4 should have been the price of the upcoming M2 the M5 the price of the M3... And the M2 kept like the 1M range. Maybe it will be lets see. I personally refuse to drive and call the 3 series a performance sedan no matter how many M badges they put on... At this point if you can't afford the new M you go with something like an American solution or a used M (that will cost the same as a new GT350).
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2014, 11:27 PM   #132
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus78 View Post
Agreed 100%... That why I'm driving what I'm driving. I just wish BMW kept the price in balance also... If they keep the price in check I could understand. The error they are making is they have too many lines with the m badge without the m performance at crazy prices then when they come out with the real M the price is sky high... I think the M3/M4 should have been the price of the upcoming M2 the M5 the price of the M3... And the M2 kept like the 1M range. Maybe it will be lets see. I personally refuse to drive and call the 3 series a performance sedan no matter how many M badges they put on... At this point if you can't afford the new M you go with something like an American solution or a used M (that will cost the same as a new GT350).
Well, there is huge market of people buying cars for whatever image the cars give. That's why you have all these bullshit M-sport, AMG, S, F-sport package these days, for people who just want to look/image.

Perhaps that also explains why there is so much bashing going on in this thread. Some people are just insecure because their car is no longer the "fastest" out there.

Anyway, manufacturers are making cars for the purpose of making money, so jacking up the prices over the years are expected... Considering how complicated these cars are, it isn't so bad.
Appreciate 2