BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
Raikkonen
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Anyone Ever Consider Having an Affair???

I'm a habitual car "changer", and usually get the bug after about 2 years to try something new.

Inevitably, however, I always end up back in a 3 series...and that's by no means a bad thing. It's just been that way with me for about the last 12 years.
I guess I just always go back to my one true love...

Except for what I'm feeling now...

There are SO MANY interesting alternatives nowadays, that I can't help but be tempted to sway elsewhere in the automotive world.

If I let my mind wander, there are a host of new cars I'd love to "try" for a few years and see how they compare. Anyone else feel this way????

Living in a Northern climate, AWD is helpful, but not necessary, and having two small kids, 4 doors definitely help matters. My cap is around $70k.

My lust/intrigue list:

1. Mercedes C400 sedan
2. Upcoming 2016 A4 (with new available detuned supercharged 6 cylinder)
3. VW Golf R
4. Upcoming Mercedes C63
5. M3
6. Upcoming 2016 Audi S4
7. Mercedes GLA 45 AMG
8. Mercedes E400 4 Matic
9. 2015 Audi A6 3.0
10. Chevrolet SS (I know, horrible, but still intriguing)
11. Volvo S60 Polestar

A friend of mine just bought a 2015 Subaru STI, and although fun, just not comfortable enough for my daily commute, so that's off the list.

Anyone else have any other interesting alternatives??? Anyone know of anything else that's out there or in the pipeline that would compare???
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 03:11 PM   #2
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
10. Chevrolet SS (I know, horrible, but still intriguing)
Horrible?

Elaborate please.

The #1 non-GM brand being traded in for this car is BMW.

EDIT: Don't forget you're getting MRC, 6MT, Bimbos at all four corners, and a power plant with well-proven potential on the cheap, and coming in about $23k under your cap (loaded) at sticker. I'm not going to try to sell anyone on it, just wondering how it could be on your considerations list yet "horrible". It is not a Chevy, it's a Holden to the core (well I guess minus the LS3). All this talk around here about how BMW lost weight from one iteration to another, Holden took a ton of weight off this chassis while also improving it. Even with all the added tech, it came in losing weight. They're a car company that knows naturally how to build great cars like this. It's unfortunate tech-rich and implementation-stupid GM is killing them and giving them the finger the whole way.

I also like to look past badges, and I'm having the same "issues". There are too many outstanding options these days.

Last edited by ragingclue; 11-20-2014 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #3
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

My 135 is my first BMW but I think about other cars all the time. There are so many fantastic ones out there, life is too short to drive the same thing year after year. I think I have about 1 more year in me with this car and then I'll be cross shopping the Subaru STI, BRZ, Golf R, M2, Shelby GT350 (depending on price), C7 corvette, the list goes on and on. The affordable performance car market is getting stronger every year.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #4
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Just bang a stripper. It's much cheaper.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
Just bang a stripper. It's much cheaper.
^^^This^^^

+ like the saying goes: If it floats, flies or Fahcks its cheaper to rent.
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 11:24 PM   #6
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Yup. I've already gone to the dark side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
jbraslins
Latvian Gangstah
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Melbourne Red 6MT

I am secretly in love with 2015 RAM 2500 MegaCab Laramie Limited Diesel.
[SOLD] 2002 TiAg E46 M3 manual
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 11:56 AM   #8
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

The 1er was my change. I was with Mercedes for two cars, Audi for two cars...

Who knows? This maybe my first and last BMW. You're not alone.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #9
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
My 135i was the best sporty car I've ever owned, followed closely by my MKV GTI. I'm currently leasing a VW CC R-Line for $300/mo. It was too cheap to pass up and I've always liked how they look. Next car will likely be a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I've wanted a Jeep for a while but their best feature is looking cool because just about every driving dynamic is terrible...

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #10
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

From what I see from BMW, this is my first, and is very possibly going to be my last.

I was looking at some Merc's, but my heart is veering towards a Cayman or a 996 next year. Who knows. I'm pretty sure I won't be going to another BMW though, as much as I love my 128.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #11
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Horrible?

Elaborate please.

EDIT: Don't forget you're getting MRC, 6MT, Bimbos at all four corners, and a power plant with well-proven potential on the cheap, and coming in about $23k under your cap (loaded) at sticker. I'm not going to try to sell anyone on it, just wondering how it could be on your considerations list yet "horrible". It is not a Chevy, it's a Holden to the core (well I guess minus the LS3). All this talk around here about how BMW lost weight from one iteration to another, Holden took a ton of weight off this chassis while also improving it. Even with all the added tech, it came in losing weight. They're a car company that knows naturally how to build great cars like this. It's unfortunate tech-rich and implementation-stupid GM is killing them and giving them the finger the whole way.

I also like to look past badges, and I'm having the same "issues". There are too many outstanding options these days.
Also, don't forget that you will have to take it back to the dealership many times for the new wave of recalls and that, at the end of the day, you are paying $45k to drive a suped up Chevy Malibu...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #12
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoM4 View Post
Also, don't forget that you will have to take it back to the dealership many times for the new wave of recalls and that, at the end of the day, you are paying $45k to drive a suped up Chevy Malibu...
Your car has more in common with a 428i than a Chevy SS has in common with a Chevy Malibu....

The Malibu isn't even RWD. So would that mean you just spent $70k-$90k on a suped up 428i?
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2014, 04:02 PM   #13
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

I used to love BMW. Hell, my initial username upon joining E90Post was "Bimmer_Loyalist" way back in the day. The company's changed so much in the past seven years that I just don't find any of the majority of their models half way interesting anymore. Unless they come up with some harder-edged vehicles with less conservative styling in the future, I don't see myself coming back to them.

I'm about to have an affair with some domestic blood. Couldn't be happier to buy American for the first time in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Horrible?

Elaborate please.

Bimbos... heh.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #14
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoM4 View Post
Mmmm the butthurt is strong in this one. So is the ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Your car has more in common with a 428i than a Chevy SS has in common with a Chevy Malibu....

The Malibu isn't even RWD. So would that mean you just spent $70k-$90k on a suped up 428i?
This is spot-on. You're probably wasting your time trying to talk sense into guys like him though. Just let him be overtly ignorant and abrasive. He makes all of us look better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
Bimbos... heh.
All four corners! Bimbos errwhere!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #15
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post

You're right. The 428i and M4 are both great cars, whilst the Malibu is several degrees more shite than the SS.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 06:10 PM   #16
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
ATS-V? CTS-V? What about a Legacy, they're much more comfortable than the Impreza STi.

As small as they are, they're almost too much fun to be road legal, go for a ride in a Fiesta ST.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #17
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I just had a quickie with a '08 Cayman. OMG.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 10:08 PM   #18
Zeus78
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Comp. Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
My 135i was the best sporty car I've ever owned, followed closely by my MKV GTI. I'm currently leasing a VW CC R-Line for $300/mo. It was too cheap to pass up and I've always liked how they look. Next car will likely be a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I've wanted a Jeep for a while but their best feature is looking cool because just about every driving dynamic is terrible...
+1... I love my current M3 but was in love with my 135i... True bmw soul maybe the last before hopefully the M2 restores the faith!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 10:36 PM   #19
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

I only like the M235i right now. Otherwise there are a ton of other great choices out there.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 09:55 AM   #20
Raikkonen
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

It's interesting to read all of these replies, because what they tell me more than anything, is that everyone is an auto "enthusiast" in general, which is awesome, as we all share a similar passion, and not just BMW focused.

I didn't mean any hate by the Chevy comment, it's just I've found domestics to always lack in finite attention to detail. SS is a great car, but GMC, Lincoln, Buick, and Cadillac have this obsession with chroming wheels that makes me nauseous; it's like they're trying to appeal to 6 year olds.

SS is probably one of the best bang for your buck purchases out there, no doubt.

I'm obsessed with all Porsche's, but they just don't make sense at this point in my life (one car, kids, live in the snowbelt, etc.).

I also LOVE Mercedes, but they're front grilles have gotten ridiculous recently, and I'm a fairly reserved guy, so I don't like shouting, "hey, look at my 90 inch diameter benz logo!" No question that they make an amazing product.

Same thing with Audi...I have nothing but pure respect for them and their tech (and some of their monster RS cars), but every Audi I've ever driven has felt very "lifeless". Great car, just different from BMW's in some unexplainable way.

At the same time, I love hot VW's (R) and can't wait to test drive the Golf R....if they brought over that new Golf R wagon to the States, I'd buy one immediately.

I love quirky cars too, like Subarus, high performance wagons, and yes, even respect for modern full-size pickups, which are like driving a living room around town. I just have no need for a pickup.

To be honest, if I were single, I'd love the new M235i, xdrive.

Decisions, decisions...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #21
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
I didn't mean any hate by the Chevy comment, it's just I've found domestics to always lack in finite attention to detail. SS is a great car, but GMC, Lincoln, Buick, and Cadillac have this obsession with chroming wheels that makes me nauseous; it's like they're trying to appeal to 6 year olds.

SS is probably one of the best bang for your buck purchases out there, no doubt.
Yeah I didn't think there was any hate behind it but it was confusing that it could make your "wants" list and be horrible at the same time.

FWIW, I despise the chrome everywhere on the SS as well, but that can be rectified easily and cheaply (with official GM parts no less). Reminds me a lot of what I had to do to my 335, installing the shadowline trim and black finishing rods or whatever those were in the front bumper, and the grille as well (pre-LCI yuck).

I've already got a different set of wheels (slightly wider, not blingy) to go on it and it just got built so it probably won't be here for another three months, but those stockers are actually forged polished aluminum. So, technically they're not chrome, but we're splitting hairs there. They're excellent OEM wheels, surprised you find them on this car that is a relative bargain. Too bad they're so blingy and somewhat narrow.

In the end, my goal is to make it somewhat more anonymous by getting rid of the bling. I like the fact that it looks like a Malibu or Impala. This is entirely subjective, but I'm just f'n done with all the attention certain cars can draw. That can be incredibly annoying in a daily driver.

And in the end, I think I missed the whole point that it's not an American car.

Go test drive that Golf R, it's an outstanding car. I thought it was a bit on the small side as well, and now I'm kinda curious as to whether I would have given it more of a gander in wagon trim. I wanted my 335i in touring flavor, I would have ticked the box for wagon if Chevy had had brought that form factor of VF over here, and Audis never really appealed to me enough to buy one, the V was too expensive for my tastes, and I just didn't like the newer Volvos too much (although I for some reason have a soft spot for the old 850R). I like wagons for some reason, I don't know what it is.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #22
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: Between BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
I used to love BMW. Hell, my initial username upon joining E90Post was "Bimmer_Loyalist" way back in the day. The company's changed so much in the past seven years that I just don't find any of the majority of their models half way interesting anymore. Unless they come up with some harder-edged vehicles with less conservative styling in the future, I don't see myself coming back to them.

I'm about to have an affair with some domestic blood. Couldn't be happier to buy American for the first time in my life.
I know how you feel. 11 years with BMW. Happy with my 2, but not sure what I'll be going when the lease is up. The M2 has to deliver or something else interesting has to be on the horizon from them for me to stay in the family.

Who are you having the affair with?
Appreciate 0