BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

01-15-2014, 07:29 AM   #1
SK7
Private
Rep
Drives: G11 730d

Unhappy Well I'm back from 730 and M5 test drive.

So, I'm back from the 730d test drive, and I have to say that it is fantastic car INDEED. But I also test drove the M5, and it get me a bit bored, but when you step on the gas it's just rocket ship. The M5 is completely different animal comparing between the 7 series, but I like both.
Anyway I'm a bit confused now, and guys now I need your opinion - what you think about those two cars, which is better in your opinion, and why?
Thanks a lot guys!

Last edited by SK7; 01-15-2014 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

What are you looking for in your car?
When I was looking for one, we needed something that could carry 3-4 people on long trips if needed.I wanted to have a sporty car too [coming from a 135i].The M5 felt like it would be the right fit.

The M5 has good handling for its size,I have to admit that.But the overall finishes were 5 series level.The rear seat legroom was so so.It felt heavy.Its RWD only.It was noisy inside[some might relate it to the sportiness of the car].I was interested in the stick.It was very very poorly implemented in the M5[Lazy job by BMW].Had I chosen the M5 None of my family would be completely happy.I would have just massaged my ego owning one.The DCT got boring.It might perform well ~100mph speeds but I don't plan to drive at those speeds.

Then I test drove the 7.Everyone was comfortable in it.yes it wasn't as sporty as the M5,but it never is advertised as one.It just felt right when I sat in it.

Then I test drove the cayman S[6 speed].I was blown away .I made up my mind that I would save for a cayman to satisfy my sporty needs and get a 7 now so that the whole family could enjoy it.

For now I drive my wives MDX for work and she gets the 7.

For me for the same amount of $$ the 7 seemed better for my needs.It was spacious ,would come with X Drive[Live in the NE],The rear leg room was amazing[Li],Better finish.The M5 [ for my needs] felt like a compromise.

Take a paper and pen and write down the pro' and con's of each.If you are looking for a Jack of all trades, got for it.Check the S6 too.It comes with AWD if thats important for you.The M5 isn't a bad car at all.It's not about picking a good car,its about picking the right car for you.

Mileage and Maintenance can be considered if they bother you.Good luck and post some picture's when you get your new car.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
SK7
Private
Rep

I'm thinking about the used Alpina B7 because new ones are to expensive for me and all of my friends thinks that I need a M5 "because I'm only 24" but I want a luxury and performance, and the B7 seems right to me, but I test drove the 750 D (diesel with THREE turbos) and it really impressed me.
Anyway I'm gonna configure my vehicle in we'll see the price of that thing.

Sorry guys if I getting too bothersome, I'm totally confused right now...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
SK7
Private
Rep

Ok, so I configured my car and it turned out very beautiful . here some photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1145276...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1145276...n/photostream/

[http://www.flickr.com/photos/1145276...n/photostream/

Now about the configuration - BMW 740d xDrive ; EXTERIOR - Sophistograu Brillanteffekt metallic (P0A90); 20" BMW Individual LMR V-Speiche 301 ; INTERIOR - Exclusivleder Nappa + erweiterten Umf. Sattelbraun hell/Schw (FNAD5);
PACAKAGES - Night vision, LED lights, comfort pk. ; Innovationspaket and loads of small options.
PRICE - total 132.290,00 € (USD 180k (bullshit)
So tell me what you think guys (if links doesn't work just write).
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
Fanta
C
Canada
Rep
Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera

In my own opinion M5 is a fast car, and only is a car.
7 series is a total different platform.
Because of it distinct car atmosphere. After a long busy day.
When you drove in a busy road and going no where.
It can provide me a very quiet atmosphere, total insulate from outside environment.
I can start to relax, rethink about business situation and make a better decision.
After I drove a 7 series more than a month, I start to find the difference between 5 to 7 and told my SA "Thank you very much."
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
vitiokas95
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5, 2008 E90 M3, 2010 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK7 View Post
I'm thinking about the used Alpina B7 because new ones are to expensive for me and all of my friends thinks that I need a M5 "because I'm only 24" but I want a luxury and performance, and the B7 seems right to me, but I test drove the 750 D (diesel with THREE turbos) and it really impressed me.
Anyway I'm gonna configure my vehicle in we'll see the price of that thing.

Sorry guys if I getting too bothersome, I'm totally confused right now...
I own 2011 Alpina B7. I think it is best of both worlds, it pulls like freight train and it is very comfortable. The only thing I don't like about my alpina, is the way transmission shift in sport mode. It is very harsh. Other than that, all good.
1990 E30 325is s50 swap race car (sold)
Appreciate 0