BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

10-27-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
alex_750li
Rep
Drives: BMW 750Li

Question on Integrated Active Steering

I have question about the 4-wheel-steering setup.

As far as I can tell it is working because the car really turns on a dime and at high speeds there is plenty of accuracy. However, I could be fooled since my other car is basically a truck (Toyota FJ Cruiser). Yesterday I was having my front windows tinted and I noticed while they were maneuvering the car in their workshop, while turning the steering from lock to lock I couldn't see any movement of the rear wheels.

I read somewhere in the manual that the system needs to be initialized and is automatically deactivated when snow chains are fitted. Could it be that the system is offline (there are no warnings)? Are any of you able to see the rear wheels steer while the car is stationary?

Thanks.

Alex
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

If my memory serves me right, I think the angle the back wheels turn is also dependent on the speed the car is traveling at. So if the car is stationary or moving very slowly, you will not see the back wheels turn very much. I assume it puts too much pressure on the system to try and move the wheels when they are not turning. Just like you are not supposed to turn your front wheels when they are not moving as it puts a lot of stress on the tires, rims, steering system etc...

I can tell you that I can definitely tell the difference (meaning that the rear wheels are turning) when you turn the car into a sharp corner or when you do a U turn. I can also feel it at highway speeds when changing lanes although it is a lot more subtle than at lower speeds and sharper angles.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
hayden
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 750Li

Drive it around an empty parking lot at low speeds and stick your head out the window.

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden View Post
Drive it around an empty parking lot at low speeds and stick your head out the window.
LOL ... just make sure the parking lot is big enough and there are no light posts... we wouldn't want you to 'wrap' your new car around one
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #5
alex_750li
Rep

Thanks for the tips and I'll try to keep from getting decapitated with your prescribed carpark tests...

I spoke to the dealer about this and he said that it only turns about 3 degrees so you probably won't see it anyway. I'm sure it's working because a car this big with such enormous wheels couldn't get around corners as well as it does otherwise.

Cheers!

Alex
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

BMW Integral Active Steering

Hope this helps:

Hayden had this originally posted in another thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 10:53 PM   #7
alex_750li
Rep

Thanks X-Drive50, I must have missed that one...
Appreciate 0