BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

12-07-2009, 05:06 AM   #1
bruno787
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 735i

help: easy entry/exit+steering wheel memory

a bmw tech is flying in to my place to check my 7 for the ff.

1. inoperative easy entry/exit steering wheel(doesnt automatically go up/down wen engine is switch on/off)
2. inoperative steering wheel/column position memory.(memory button cannot recall set position)

can you ppl clarify to me how these two functions actually work?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
09-750Li
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 750Li

re:help: easy entry/exit+steering wheel memory

Had the same problem with an 09 750Li. The dealer had to reset the software for the function to work again. Hope they can help you.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno787 View Post
a bmw tech is flying in to my place to check my 7 for the ff.

1. inoperative easy entry/exit steering wheel(doesnt automatically go up/down wen engine is switch on/off)
2. inoperative steering wheel/column position memory.(memory button cannot recall set position)

can you ppl clarify to me how these two functions actually work?
I think this has been explained on this forum before. Do a and you will find some additional information on it.

It works as follows:

When you unlock the car and open the door, the steering wheel should be in the uppermost position (for easy entry). Once you sit down, close the door, depress the brake pedal and press the start/stop button to start the engine, the steering wheel should move into your preferred position. For this to happen, you obviously first need to set that position and store it into a memory position. Once you stop the engine and only when you open the door will the steering wheel move back into it's uppermost position.

I would recommend you do the following if you have issues with this feature:

1. Unlock the car and open the door (steering wheel should be in the uppermost position).
2. Enter the car, close the door, depress the brake pedal and start the engine (leave the car in 'P').
3. Adjust/move the steering wheel via the little joystick on the side of the steering wheel column into the upper most position.
4. Press the 'M' (Memory) button on the driver side door and select '1' to save the current setting into the first memory position.
5. Stop the engine, leave the car, close the door and lock the car.
6. Unlock the car and open the door (steering wheel should still be in the uppermost position).
7. Enter the car, close the door, depress the brake pedal and start the engine (leave the car in 'P').
8. Adjust/move the steering wheel via the little joystick on the side of the steering wheel into your preferred position.
9. Press the 'M' (Memory) button on the driver side door and select '1' to save the current setting into the first memory position.
10. Stop the engine, open the door, the steering wheel should now move into the uppermost position, leave the car, close the door and lock the car.
11. Unlock the car and open the door (steering wheel should be in the uppermost position).
12. Enter the car, close the door, depress the brake pedal and start the engine (leave the car in 'P'), the steering wheel should now move into your last saved (your preferred) position!

On a side note, I assume that you ALWAYS use the same remote control when you drive you car?
The settings are saved in your remote, so if you switch between remotes the settings may or may not be different!

Hope this helps.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #4
bruno787
Private First Class
Rep

my car is fixed!!! the tech wasnt able to diagnose it via computer and instead did some manual initialization, prolly same as the one mentioned in this thread. thanks xdrive for the detailed writeup!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno787 View Post
my car is fixed!!! the tech wasnt able to diagnose it via computer and instead did some manual initialization, prolly same as the one mentioned in this thread. thanks xdrive for the detailed writeup!
My pleasure. Too bad you didn't have the time to try my suggestion before the technician fixed it for you. Would have really liked to know if that would have fixed it for you

Oh well, I'm glad to hear that the BMW technician was able to fix it for you!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 05:43 AM   #6
bruno787
Private First Class
Rep

i did see him adjust the steering to the uppermost and lowermost positions etc....but didnt really got the chance to observe every step as i was doing some work.
Appreciate 0