BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

04-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

2011 750LXi Individual

Hello all:

After a three month debate between the F01/02 and the W221, I’ve decided: a 2011 750LXi Individual!

Before I place the order, I have a few questions that I would appreciate help with:

1. How much of a deposit should I anticipate having leave on an Individual order? The standard $500 – $1,000, or more?

2. I see that 2011 760’s include top-view camera capability. Has anyone had success getting their dealer to push through same on a 2011 750 Individual order?

3. Out of the 5 wheels available in the US, why is there only ONE, and an ugly one at that, that is fitted with all-season tires? Has anyone found all-season tires that fit on the Individual wheels?

4. How can I possibly view either Azurite Black or Citrin Black on an actual car in person prior to order placement (need not be on a 7)? I am debating between same.

5. What’s up with Individual orders and contrasting seat piping and / or interior stitching??? I want either / or very badly, if at all possible. Three dealers have already told me that same is NOT possible, yet I’ve come across threads showing contrasting piping and a thread where a Louisiana dealer was able to order a 2010 650i Coupe Individual with contrasting stitching.

6. Is there any way to request that the windows be tinted at the factory (‘dipped’, not ‘film’)?

7. Those who have issue with the orange / amber reflectors on sides of the front bumper; what have you done about same!?

8. And, a more general question: Do you find yourself having to refill the gas tank often? My W140 (big engine, big tank) seems to go almost two weeks between refills, whereas my P38a (big engine, small tank) needs refilling almost three times over the course of same.

I look forward to your replies!

Thank you for your time, JD.

Last edited by dbs600; 04-29-2010 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 11:51 PM   #2
thijs-v-d-H
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 E30

Frist of all congrast!

I don't have any experience with US cars but I'll try some of your questions.

1 no idea

2 Don't see why this option shouldn't be available on the 750

3 Fitting these tires should be no problem, wheels have the same size.

4 You can request paint examples from your dealer.
here are some pictures:

Citrin: http://www.7post.com/forums/showthre...ght=individual

Azurite:http://www.autoblog.nl/image-gallery...iews/BMW/760Li

5 You have to do a special request order if you want these things. But there is also down sides, longer leadtime and it is costly. Contact Marc Carson he has that Individual gold M6 on M5board.com he can help you with the right contacts to do such a order in the US.

6 There is a factory option tan available in europe, don't know about the US. Isn't a very dark tan though.

7 I have seen people who painted them in the same colour as the car.

8 no experience on that jet.

Last edited by thijs-v-d-H; 04-29-2010 at 12:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thank you for your most prompt reply TVDH; much appreciated!

2. Top-view is not available until September production for October delivery according to most all dealers. The only model it is now available on is the 760. Not too cool, especially on an Individual order; they're rare enough, you would think BMW would make an exception!

3. Please do let me know if you come across the make and model of an all-season tire that fits on the 20" Individual wheels.

4. Thank you for the links, though, not like viewing in person. Hmm.

5. I'll be sure to reach out to the person named. I've already signed up for m5board.com, but for some reason it's not allowing me to post a new thread or send private messages. Do you know the direct e-mail address of the gentleman mentioned?

6. If you can obtain any additional information whatsoever on this for me I would be very grateful (i.e.: order code / part number, cost, actual name, etc., so that I make a valiant effort to press the dealer on same).

Thank you! JD.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
thijs-v-d-H
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Thank you for your most prompt reply TVDH; much appreciated!

2. Top-view is not available until September production for October delivery according to most all dealers. The only model it is now available on is the 760. Not too cool, especially on an Individual order; they're rare enough, you would think BMW would make an exception!

3. Please do let me know if you come across the make and model of an all-season tire that fits on the 20" Individual wheels.

4. Thank you for the links, though, not like viewing in person. Hmm.

5. I'll be sure to reach out to the person named. I've already signed up for m5board.com, but for some reason it's not allowing me to post a new thread or send private messages. Do you know the direct e-mail address of the gentleman mentioned?

6. If you can obtain any additional information whatsoever on this for me I would be very grateful (i.e.: order code / part number, cost, actual name, etc., so that I make a valiant effort to press the dealer on same).

Thank you! JD.
2. As far as I know it is part of option code 5DL: Surround view. This option includes top view and sideview. Big factories are very bad handling with exceptions...

3 Sorry mis read the fact you are looking for allseasons. 20inch is to big for allseasons.

But where do you live? I mean with X-drive there is no need for allseason tires. look the youtube clip I've linked to. This car is on regular tires and still has more than enough grip! It doesn't even drift.

But why not get a 760li if you are allready willing to splash the extra cash on an individual? In that case you can buy two sets of rims, one 20inch individual set for summer and a 19inch with winter tires. I mean on the end of the day X-drive doesn't make the car any more fun. And you'll get top view as a bonus

5 Just wait for your acount to get activated and than send him a PM.

6 Here in europe it is option code 761, Individual extra tan rear windows, (as seen on that 760li in Azurite) Costs around 500 euro's here in Europe.

Last edited by thijs-v-d-H; 04-29-2010 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Hello all:

After a three month debate between the F01/02 and the W221, I’ve decided: a 2011 750LXi Individual!

Before I place the order, I have a few questions that I would appreciate help with:

1. How much of a deposit should I anticipate having leave on an Individual order? The standard $500 – $1,000, or more?

2. I see that 2011 760’s include top-view camera capability. Has anyone had success getting their dealer to push through same on a 2011 750 Individual order?

3. Out of the 5 wheels available in the US, why is there only ONE, and an ugly one at that, that is fitted with all-season tires? Has anyone found all-season tires that fit on the Individual wheels?

4. How can I possibly view either Azurite Black or Citrin Black on an actual car in person prior to order placement (need not be on a 7)? I am debating between same.

5. What’s up with Individual orders and contrasting seat piping and / or interior stitching??? I want either / or very badly, if at all possible. Three dealers have already told me that same is NOT possible, yet I’ve come across a threads showing contrasting piping and a thread where a Louisiana dealer was able to order a 2010 650i Coupe Individual with contrasting stitching.

6. Is there any way to request that the windows be tinted at the factory (‘dipped’, not ‘film’)?

7. Those who have issue with the orange / amber reflectors on sides of the front bumper; what have you done about same!?

8. And, a more general question: Do you find yourself having to refill the gas tank often? My W140 (big engine, big tank) seems to go almost two weeks between refills, whereas my P38a (big engine, small tank) needs refilling almost three times over the course of same.

I look forward to your replies!

Thank you for your time, JD.
Hi dbs600 and welcome to the forum!

thijs-v-d-H probably gave you most of the answers already, I'll add some of my own:

1. If memory serves me right, I put a $2000 deposit down for my individual order (was actually transferred from an X6 individual to the 750 when I changed my mind and they couldn't get the X6... ).

2. I have heard that the top view cameras (mounted in the bottom of the side rear view mirrors) are delayed on the 750. They should become available I think Q3/2010. You would still get the side view cameras.

3. Why would you want all-season tires with the x-drive? You get high performance summer tires with the car and just get an extra set of winter tires. It's a better setup then all-season with the x-drive.

4. Ask your dealer. They should have paint, fabric and trim samples of the individual available. If not, ask if they already delivered a car, maybe they'll get you in touch with another owner? Just a thought... not sure if your dealership would do something like that. I was lucky enough to see the car in citrin black metallic at the auto show in person and that's where I fell in love with the color.

Just to give you a quick idea, both the citrin and azurite black metallic paints look black when in the shade or when it is dark and turn into a sparkling brown or blue when the sun or a bright light hits the surface.

5. Not sure why your dealer is telling you that it is not available. That's wrong, in fact you can provide them with your own paint or fabric sample and they will try to match it ... for a cost of course!
I had requested contrast piping on my interior too and I was willing to pay for the difference (sorry, I don't remember how much they wanted for it), but it added at least another month+ to the already long waiting time, so I decided it wasn't that important to me. It's up to you. They can and will most certainly do it for you, but it will cost you extra and will take longer as it is a custom order even within the individual order process!!

6. BMW does have tinted windows (actually they are part of the individual composition), however they only tint the rear passenger and back window. The driver and front passenger windows are not tinted. I had requested that option but apparently they do not conform to the Canadian Highway Safety Traffic Act and hence BMW Canada is not able to import that option. Which I find odd since for example the X5 has the same tinted windows in the back and they are able to import that car just fine ... go figure. You should check either with your dealer or if they can't help you check with BMW USA. Ask for option 761.

7. I originally thought that those orange reflectors on the front bumper would annoy me and I would get them painted, but there are two things you should consider, first safety, they are there for a reason and second, if you go with a custom color like citrin or azurite, you will have a hard time finding someone that can match the color exactly, unless you don't mind that they are black, which may not be as obvious but will still be noticeable when the sun shines on your car!

8. It all depends on your driving style, I can go two weeks easy on a full tank of gas if I also take it easy on the car... Now I can also end up at least 3 times at the gas station within the same period of time if I do some spirited driving, you know the kind that puts big smiles on your face when you push the right foot down to the floor ...

Hope that helped you...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

TVDH: Thank you for the follow up. I can get all I would like spec-wise for an MSRP of $107k, whereas I imagine I would need to spend at least another $35k for same in a 760 – a 30% increase that is not insignificant. Plus, living in the NE corridor of the US, xDrive ‘should’ provide additional road confidence in the winter months - 760 not offering same. You're suggestion to have two sets of wheels and tires (one summer set and one winter set) makes a lot of sense functionally, but I would much prefer the ease of simply having all-seasons all year around, not to mention that two sets would also eat up critical storage space of which I have limited supply. Otherwise, thank you for the window tint option code! I hope a dealer or two can make sense of it!

xDrive: Good suggestion on 4, I’ll see what I can do. Was 5 something you dealt with at the salesperson, general manager, or corporate level? Do you recall the names of persons at corporate, if you or your dealer needed to contact same? Thank you for the option code in 6. Damn DOT w/r/t the orange reflectors! #8: Hmm… I am an aggressive driver throughout and hope I don’t have issue with the range of the 750 – my decision is certainly made, but I believe the W221 to have a larger tank, get a better mpg’s, which would result in a longer overall range.

My best, JD.

Last edited by dbs600; 04-30-2010 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I'm in Canada, so not sure how it works for you in the US.

For most of the decisions, I dealt directly with my sales person at my dealership. On some items she had to refer me to BMW Canada. So I dealt with a very nice guy responsible for the individual orders at BMW Canada (mostly via email). He explained what was and what was not available for the Canadian market. This was even before any of it was available on the web site. I placed my order for the individual back when the first regular F01/F02 were just coming in.

In regards to your tire choice. I have an x-drive car that came with all-season tires (wife's car) and for the past two winters, I have the dealership put winter tires on. BIG difference! I no longer drive in the winter with all-season tires. The winter tires definitely give you better grip. Since my 750 came with the high-performance summer tires, I just got a set of rims with winter tires and have them swapped when the temperature goes down to the single digit degC... At which point the rubber on the summer tires becomes as hard as a hockey puck! I actually have to make an appointment to have them put my summer tires back on the car next week
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
thijs-v-d-H
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
TVDH: Thank you for the follow up. I can get all I would like spec-wise for an MSRP of $107k, whereas I imagine I would need to spend at least another $35k for same in a 760 – a 30% increase that is not insignificant. Plus, living in the NE corridor of the US, xDrive ‘should’ provide additional road confidence in the winter months - 760 not offering same. You're suggestion to have two sets of wheels and tires (one summer set and one winter set) makes a lot of sense functionally, but I would much prefer the ease of simply having all-seasons all year around, not to mention that two sets would also eat up critical storage space of which I have limited supply. Otherwise, thank you for the window tint option code! I hope a dealer or two can make sense of it!

My best, JD.
Gosh these buggers are cheap in the US, we payed 330.000 USD (250k euro) for our 760li. To me X-drive doesn't make to much sence, the 7-series has survived without for 30 years... And now the electronic systems are more advanced than ever they introduce an all wheel drive system... anyway.

I see two solutions to your tires issue. First one is storage of the second set by your dealer, that is how they do it for us as well. they change wheels twice a year and store the other set.

Other option is to drive on winter tires year round... gives you 90% of the performance, they give more comfort and last longer than normal tires.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

xDrive: Is there any way at all that you can provide me with the name of the gentleman mentioned at BMW Canada? I'm not entirely sure of the corporate structure, but I believe BMW NA (based in the USA) serves both the USA and acts as an umbrella organization for all BMW regional sites in North America. Maybe your contact can steer me in the right direction stateside.

TVDH: WOW! Price aside, things sure are different where you're from. I can tell you now, never ever would a dealer storage of tires. If were talking about the average customer with zero dealership history / loyalty, I'd easily place a wager on it! On the other hand, when your buying a car that is the equivalent of $330k USD, I guess anything goes? To your second point, that's my point exactly, as I would like to know if anyone has ever come across Winter (or All-Season) runflat tires that work with the BMW 7-Series Individual wheels (I'm not planning to drop $8k on an option only to replace what is likely makes up a majority of the cost of the package with wheels from a standard issue 740/750).

Thank you again kind gentlemen! Your enthusiasm is most appreciated. I've been a member of "benzworld.org" for my W140 needs for some time and I'm happy that I've come across yet another great support group for my F02 interests!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
thijs-v-d-H
Private First Class
Rep

Storing tires is common practice here in Holland. Dealers charges 50 euro's per change storage costs, many many people do it this way here.

We are almost life long customers at our dealership, they come and pick our cars up for service at home etc. That is the extra treatment we get for being a good/long time customer. As well as extra discount on new cars because we allways buy, also for our businesses.

I asked about those 20inch winter tires, but they aren't validated by BMW yet. So you might be able to find them, but BMW hasn't aproved them for their cars yet.

You are more than welcome on the forum. Sharing BMW joy and knowledge is something we can all benefit from.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #11
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

dbs600: I'll have to dig up my old emails to find his contact info. Need to see if I can retrieve those emails from a backup as I switched laptops in the meantime. I'll forward you the contact info if I find it.

In regards to storing the winter or summer tires for you, my dealer offers this service too (for an additional charge of course). I have a mezzanine in my garage so storing my spare tires is not an issue for me. I have 3 different sets of tires up there all the time.
My dealership also picks up and returns my car at my home if I want them to, although I prefer to drive to the dealership as I get to look at the other/new cars/models in the showroom
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 11:25 PM   #12
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thijs: Thanks for asking. Should I come across a tire that fits, I'll be sure to keep this thread updated with same.

xDrive: Thanks; please keep me posted!

Otherwise, some additional questions:

1. Is the "Piano Finish Black Trim" made out of wood or something else? I notice that the word wood is omitted from its name, whereas the two other trim options are named "Dark Red Sycamore Wood Trim" and "Walnut Honey Wood Trim".

2. Is there an additional charge for "Piano Finish Black Trim" even when the "Individual Composition Package" is selected? I thought all Individual trim options are included in the price of the "Individual Composition Package", but when selecting the “Piano Finish Black Trim” an additional $1,080 is added, whereas no such charge is added when the other two trim options are selected.

Thank you, JD.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #13
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

The Piano Finish Black Trim is just what it says it is. If you know what a black piano with ultra high gloss lacquer looks like, that will give you an idea what this finish looks. The inlay is an actual piano wire which if you look really close you can see the thin wire that is wound around the base wire. Looks absolutely stunning.

The only minor drawback is that you will see fingerprints on it (as with any high gloss surface).

As far as I am aware, this trim SHOULD be part of the individual composition package. I know that it was part of mine and I didn't have to pay extra for it.

I just had a quick look at bmwusa.com and noticed that the individual package on the 7series is listed at only $7,700.00. If memory serves me right, the individual package on my car was $14,300.00. The difference appears to be that you have to pay separately for the paint and the trim whereas it was all included when I ordered my car...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 12:19 AM   #14
thijs-v-d-H
Private First Class
Rep

As far as I know it is also wood, but I'm not sure about what process is used to produce them.

Suprising that it adds a preimium, because for us piano wood was part of the composition package.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 12:56 AM   #15
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

thijs, I think in the US they separated the trim and paint options from the individual composition package and reduced the price for the package by doing so. Which allows you to get a standard paint and or trim option with the individual leather seats, etc...

The guy from BMW Canada that looks after the individual orders I mentioned in a previous message, had emailed me a brochure that was showing/explaining the Piano Black Trim finishing process from start to finish. It's amazing how much actual work goes into these pieces. Once you see and understand the process, it's no wonder those trim pieces are so expensive. I think they have something like 14 layers of lacquer on them and in between each step they need to be polished, etc...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 01:27 AM   #16
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Strange, Individual Composition in the US lists three wood trim options as included. When Piano Black trim is added to a 750 there is an additional charge, but when the other two trims are added there are NO additional charges. Even more strange, when Piano Black trim is added to a 740 or 760 there is NO additional charge. Something's wrong.

The catalogue xDrive references makes me wonder if there are any special corporate-customer communications or other items provided or sent to those who order an Individual (additional 'goodies' that corporate throws into the mix)?

JD

Last edited by dbs600; 05-02-2010 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 01:44 AM   #17
thijs-v-d-H
Private First Class
Rep

I know from some who got this amazing keybox.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63...ck-650i-6.html

However this is far from standard. We didn't get anything other than a flower bouqet from Jan, our dealer

The additional charge must be a mistake if it doesn't do so for the 740.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 06:46 AM   #18
pebbrb05
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 X5 4.8 Sport & 72 2002

Piano Trim Brochure

Would mind posting the email of the brochure?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #19
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

For those of you who have Individual models, how long did you have to wait for the car (from order placement to dealer delivery)?

Thank you, JD.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #20
thijs-v-d-H
Private First Class
Rep

A good 4 months order to delivery. That includes special request, which makes lead time 1 month longer.

Last edited by thijs-v-d-H; 05-02-2010 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #21
bmr760
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, F90 M5C, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
For those of you who have Individual models, how long did you have to wait for the car (from order placement to dealer delivery)?

Thank you, JD.
3 1/2 Months for mine

Order to Delivery

also I did have one but I traded it in for another vehicle

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #22
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

And, did these times meet what was quoted by the dealer from the outset? I am not in the greatest of rushes to receive the car, as most dealers have been quoting 6-8 weeks, but one dealer made me a little concerned when they stated that the other dealers are not being truthful and that it's at least a 12 week lead time (just for a standard issue Individual vehicle).
Appreciate 0