BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

04-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #1
riazah
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 750 i and 2007 650 cic

Driving experience with the f01/f02

Has anyone else experienced some of the issues mentioned in this article below:
http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research....ection=reviews
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I believe in Normal mode - there may be second gear starts - hence the lag. If you drive in in the DS mode or Sport - that goes away. No big deal.

The brakes are grabby - but good. Like any car - once you get used to them it is fine.
They stop this heavy car with excellent performance. In fact, the brakes feel similiar to my M5 - with a bit more sensitiviity...

The whining noise is called the Turbos and the drivetrain.... It is noticible on occasion if you don't like to listen to the stereo, talk to passengers, roll down all the windows and use listening devices. Sure you can hear something, but it is not annoying.

IMHO-The problem with many auto reviewers is that the spend little, REAL time in these cars. For ex, the iDrive complaints in the original 745, etc. Certainly, it was not the most intuitive device -but it worked fine - again, once you get used to it. It took an hour. Once you have cars with the iDrive (in my case a 2002 745i, 2006 750i, M5 and now the F01) - these driver interfaces have gotton not only better, faster, but more intuitive. But once the iDrive moved downstream to the 5 and especially the sometimes younger 3 series owners - the complaining went away. If you're jumping out of a Z06 Corvette then driving the F01 - sure there may be a feel of a lag in the Normal setting. Keep in mind this is a premium luxury car, not a sports car. Wind noise is also written about. It is no different than previous 7's or even my neighbors new S class. Comparing the rear seat size to a Camry is also strange. Keep the comparisons in the same class - or simply say the trunk is HUGE compared to the Honda Civic?

All in all - it is a fabulous car. The integration of all the power, technology, comfort, luxury in one package is unbelievable. BTW - I turned off the traction control and lit up the back wheels in the most unbelievable way. SMOKED the tires. Maybe they should write about potential pollution problems with the new 7.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Interesting but at the same time strange review:

1) He explains that in the past the 7 was 'too much of a performance related car' and appreciates that the new F01/F02 is now WAY more comfy... but then complains that the gas pedal isn't 'responsive' enough and he wishes they had the sport mode sensitivity in the comfort or normal mode ?!?

Well, what does he want?

A performance car or a luxury car?

Besides you can control these things as SpotM5 pointed out above! So if BMW would have put a 'more' responsive gas pedal into the comfort mode, everyone would complain that the car is 'too sporty and not comfy enough' as the passengers get whipped about and pressed into their seats

I did not notice much of a 'lag' in acceleration on the 750 when I was test driving the car. You can however definitely tell the difference between Sport+ mode and the rest of the suspension/chassis/drive train setup modes!

2) Again, I didn't hear drive train noise during my test drive (about 2 hours), although I did notice a bit of wind noise and road noise but mainly road noise as I was driving on a concrete highway and no matter what car you drive on that highway, you WILL get tire noise. Once I got of that highway and back onto normal roads, the tire noise was next to non existent.
The wind noise became more apparent above 160km/h (100mph) but again, is still very low and I would say equivalent to the S550 AMG or the A8 I took onto the same roads.

3) Why would he compare the 750 to cars like the Dodge Charger, Honda Accord or Toyota Camry?
Would he compare the S550 to the same cars in a S550 review?!?

4) Ok, I have to admit, I may be biased here because I ordered a 750, but I did my time in a S550 AMG, an A8 and a new 750 and after looking at all the little details and the way I felt in these cars and what each car did (or didn't do) for me, I made my decision to buy the 750.

The S550 AMG, although a nice car and descent acceleration, wasn't quite as quick as the 750. It does not come with rear seat entertainment option. I was afraid to use the buttons in the center console in the front as every time I touched them, they felt like they were about to break off (WAY to cheap for a car of this class) plus they look somewhat awkward. The seats were great and I liked the way the steering wheel felt although I didn't like the road feedback (since there was basically none as in comparison to the 750). Breaks were good and seemed consistent. Didn't like the command controller with it's absolutely ridiculous little cover on top. Besides, I find those tiny little buttons inside of that cover to be a danger to your safety. You are supposed to keep your eyes on the road and these things are supposed to help you with this task and NOT distract you (like looking down to figure out where what button is located). The exterior styling is still great looking even though it isn't a new car anymore.

The A8, again a very nice car, however the first thing I noticed when I got into the A8 is that the materials they used in the car did NOT feel like or looked like they belong into a $100k+ car. The S550 and 750 definitely felt more luxurious than the A8. The next thing I noticed is how many buttons are plastered all over the dashboard and center console on this car. The interior and exterior looked a little dated too. Acceleration was descent but again not as fast as either the 750 or the S550. I would most likely have gone with an S8 if I would have picked the Audi over the BMW.

Neither car (including the 750) is an absolute 'prefect' car, but you choose the car that you like best and has the least amount of compromises compared to your personal 'function/feature/option/comfort/power/handling/etc.' wish list.

I made my choice and concluded that the new 750 was the best fit for my needs and wants
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
riazah
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 750 i and 2007 650 cic

While it has taken me a while to get used to all the features in the car...so far in my view its phenomenol...i would say the biggest danger is that people who do not fully appreciate the cars technology or functionality or have not driven bmw's before will not be able to enjoy it as much
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
Fastbuck
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F01 740d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
Interesting but at the same time strange review:

1) He explains that in the past the 7 was 'too much of a performance related car' and appreciates that the new F01/F02 is now WAY more comfy... but then complains that the gas pedal isn't 'responsive' enough and he wishes they had the sport mode sensitivity in the comfort or normal mode ?!?

Well, what does he want?
Move the gearshift to DS mode and job done!

Fastbuck
2012 F01 740d M Sport Alpine White Oyster/ Oyster
2013 E84 X1 1.8d M Sport Alpine White Black/ Black
Appreciate 0