BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

12-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Phone Still Connected to Car After Shutdown and Locking!?

Anyone have the following problem:

You're connected to a call via Bluetooth you want to continue after leaving the car. You shut down the car (two presses of the start-stop button), exit and lock the doors, but your phone is still connected to the car via Bluetooth and the iDrive screen is still on and the only way to disconnect the call from the car while maintaining the call is to change sources from your phone or disable Bluetooth from your phone.

IN THE PAST, when I would exit and lock the doors, the call would automatically disconnect from the car and continue on my phone.

Not sure what's changed; my car was, however, at the dealer recently for oxygen sensor replacement.

I use a Verizon Wireless Apple iPhone 5.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: The M's

All of my cars have always done that, it is nothing new. The bluetooth connection keeps the audio system in the car "alive" until you change the audio source on your iPhone, it does not automatically transfer.

2016 BMW X5 ///M
2016 BMW M4 ///M Convertible

aLatteHotte - www.aLatteHotte.com - The Future of Coffee
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxcode View Post
All of my cars have always done that, it is nothing new. The bluetooth connection keeps the audio system in the car "alive" until you change the audio source on your iPhone, it does not automatically transfer.
Either you're mistaken or I was running different software; I have a 2011 750Li xDrive.

When I would shut my car down and lock the doors, the call would transfer to my phone; the way it should be, but no longer. :|
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: The M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Either you're mistaken or I was running different software; I have a 2011 750Li xDrive.

When I would shut my car down and lock the doors, the call would transfer to my phone; the way it should be, but no longer. :|
Maybe you had different software? My cars have ALWAYS kept the radio alive until I switched the source on my phone, I have an iPhone 5s but I have had many different iPhones in the past. This is not unusual whatsoever in my experience.

Have you been to the dealer recently? It's possible they upgraded your software without your knowledge.

2016 BMW X5 ///M
2016 BMW M4 ///M Convertible

aLatteHotte - www.aLatteHotte.com - The Future of Coffee
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxcode View Post
Have you been to the dealer recently? It's possible they upgraded your software without your knowledge.
Yes, I have, and unfortunately, you may be correct.

Anyone with a 2010 or 2011 who can confirm that when you lock your car, Bluetooth drops and the call transfers to your phone? Only makes sense, as there's no need to be connected to the car when locking it from outside!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600
Anyone have the following problem:

You're connected to a call via Bluetooth you want to continue after leaving the car. You shut down the car (two presses of the start-stop button), exit and lock the doors, but your phone is still connected to the car via Bluetooth and the iDrive screen is still on and the only way to disconnect the call from the car while maintaining the call is to change sources from your phone or disable Bluetooth from your phone.

IN THE PAST, when I would exit and lock the doors, the call would automatically disconnect from the car and continue on my phone.

Not sure what's changed; my car was, however, at the dealer recently for oxygen sensor replacement.

I use a Verizon Wireless Apple iPhone 5.
This is a feature. It happens when you are in a call at the time you shut off the engine.

If you're in the car and on a telephone call and you shut off the button, press twice yada yada, the call will stay nailed up on the cars BT.

If, however, you lock the car (during a call) from the outside, it will turn off the screens and cut the bt.

If you are not in a call, then turning off the car (press twice) will cut the BT and turn off the screens.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
If, however, you lock the car (during a call) from the outside, it will turn off the screens and cut the bt.
Well that's my problem! My car used to do this, but no more...?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600
Quote:
Well that's my problem! My car used to do this, but no more...?
Hi dbs6k,

I did confirm, here is how my talkie works:

1. If you are not on a call, the BT is cut after powering off engine and then pressing stop button once more.

2. If your phone is in the middle of a BT call, the iDrive screen stays on and the speaker/mic in the car remains active.

Now, maybe your phone and iDrive need a reset. Powering off the iphone won't do crap since the swap stays active and shutting off your phone pages everything out to swap. Then when the iPhone restarts, the paging is reactivated from swap...all of your apps simply restart from where they left off. The procedure for killing the phone app is different than pre ios7. Double click the physical round button on the face of the iPhone. Moving window to the right or left, locate the phone app. Next, swipe the phone dialog (not the icon) from the bottom to the top. This kills the phone app and forces a true restart.

Next, go to settings, blue tooth and turn off BT on the iPhone, wait a minute, turn it back on.

Next, with engine running and safely parked, depress the volume knob on your cars radio for 30 seconds or so. IDrive will reboot.

Retry the whole connection thingy and see if it works properly. If not, go to Bluetooth devices and remove your phone and add it again.

Let us know.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I did confirm, here is how my talkie works:

1. If you are not on a call, the BT is cut after powering off engine and then pressing stop button once more.

2. If your phone is in the middle of a BT call, the iDrive screen stays on and the speaker/mic in the car remains active.
Thanks for the detailed reply(!), but after number 2 above, what happens when you open the driver's door, get out of the car and lock the doors? Does your Bluetooth connection stop?
Appreciate 0