BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

10-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #23
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxcode View Post
So my part came in on last monday and my 2014 750LI was scheduled for service on Friday. My car spent the weekend at BMW. Phone call this morning from my service advisor came around 11am and they ordered the wrong part (shown above). The correct part, the parking brake actuator (so they call it) - is also on BACKORDER. This could easily be a 3-4 month delay in remedy since the first day of ownership. Not happy.
Unacceptable
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #24
ashtree
Rep
Drives: 2014 x3

I know you must be very irritated about this, it is really a shame. I happened to check on the status of mine yesterday and was told that nothing has showed up as yet, however they would give me a call today with more details. No one called back today. Listening to your experience, I know it is going to be a while for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 12:56 AM   #25
Zeddy4Me
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 09, AW E90 M3 6MT

Hi everyone... i just purchased a 2014 BMW 740i about two weeks ago. I just got that same error when my friend pressed the parking brake. I was like..."what the..." I was very hesitant on driving it,so pulled over, shut the engine off. I turned the car back on and the error went away... I haven't used the parking brake since... but it appears to be a problem. I guess I will be contacting my friend shortly who is the GM to get this resolved...
      10-31-2013, 06:34 AM   #26
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Isn't not using the parking brake damaging on the transmission?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #27
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: The M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthestck View Post
Isn't not using the parking brake damaging on the transmission?
I would think so. I use it all the time. My house in Santa Barbara has a driveway with a good slope to my underground garage. I park in my driveway all the time when Im only going to be an hour or so before using the car again. It's not OK that the parking brake doesn't work. Not using the parking brake doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist. I use my PB all the time! I hope this fix comes soon. My SA says that many 2014 owners are reporting the same issues, sometimes the same day of delivery! UGhhhhh.

2016 BMW X5 ///M
2016 BMW M4 ///M Convertible

aLatteHotte - www.aLatteHotte.com - The Future of Coffee
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #28
Zeddy4Me
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

osxcode - who is your SA at Shelly?
      11-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #29
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddy4Me View Post
osxcode - who is your SA at Shelly?
I live in Manhattan Beach part of the week so I go to South Bay BMW, my SA there is Michael -- he's great !

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 02:13 AM   #30
Zeddy4Me
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
I live in Manhattan Beach part of the week so I go to South Bay BMW, my SA there is Michael -- he's great !
Thanks...!
      11-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #31
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

BMW received the correct part and I have learned that there is a recall on the 2014 7 series for the Parking Brake. So this is a big enough issue to issue a recall!

Anyway, my car is at the dealer as of this morning, hopefully for the last time for awhile. I will be so happy to put this matter to bed!

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #32
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So the saga continues, yet again! There is officially a RECALL for the 2014's parking brake issue. Turns out, the part they ordered for my car the second time won't solve the issue either. A new part was ordered in reference to the recall and the part still has not yet come in. You would think BMW would expedite the part, it's a terrible inconvenience. This marks the 3rd time my car has been in for the problem, I called today to see where we were and the part had not yet arrived. It was due today but,....no part.

So, I went and picked up my car for the 3rd time. If I go back the 4th time and this still isn't taken care of or they have to order another part, Im afraid the car is going to become theirs again, for good. This has been an enormous waste of my time and my patience has come to an abrupt halt. I feel like this mess should have been mopped up in fewer visits to the dealer and in less than almost 5 months.

To say I am disappointed would only be an understatement; however, I remain hopeful BMW can get this right, the 4th and last time I visit for this parking brake issue....

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #33
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

I feel your pain, hang in there, you have some awesome cars! Don't let a $50 part spoil your fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #34
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypx View Post
I feel your pain, hang in there, you have some awesome cars! Don't let a $50 part spoil your fun.
I totally agree with you, it's only frustrating because it has been multiple trips to the dealer when I don't have a lot of time to do it and nothing has yet to be completed!

I can't wait until it is fixed -- I really, really my cars!

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #35
ashtree
Rep

I agree with you, there should be a better solution than having to wait for months to get your car fixed. My part have not arrived in the shop as yet, am now I am afraid when it does arrive, it will be useless just like yours.

Is giving the car back a real option that you can take advantage of?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #36
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtree View Post
I agree with you, there should be a better solution than having to wait for months to get your car fixed. My part have not arrived in the shop as yet, am now I am afraid when it does arrive, it will be useless just like yours.

Is giving the car back a real option that you can take advantage of?
Here's my take....
They've issued a recall covering this issue, so it's a known issue with known resolutions at this point. The last two times I have gone for service, since not much was known about the issue, BMW did what they thought would be the remedy, it just turns out that it was not. The real issue, in my case anyway, is that nobody is on the same page. BMW has had parts distribution issues for the last year or better and this part problem/recall for the parking brake adds some fuel to the fire.

My dealer now knows which part is involved in the final remedy, because it was a part issued by the recall campaign for this parking brake issue. I am pretty confident that BMW will fix this problem once and for all once the actual part related to the recall campaign comes in.

I think in my case, a lemon law issue is certainly viable, but I would never do that to BMW. Why? BMW took care of me. BMW has never let me down. BMW builds cars that will save your life and it is an independent company made of genuine people that really do care. Though I am frustrated, I would never fight to return my car, I know they will make it good. BMW has always been there for me, in more ways than one, I wouldn't step out on them for this -- I know a final fix is in the works!

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 11:57 PM   #37
skerdian
Rep
Drives: 760i, S580, A8L, QP GTS, P 911

I too just had this pop up on my 2014 750li, 5k mileage- it came up after I enabled the autohold option, for the first time since I purchased the car new.

Will consult service tomorrow and update.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #38
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skerdian View Post
I too just had this pop up on my 2014 750li, 5k mileage- it came up after I enabled the autohold option, for the first time since I purchased the car new.

Will consult service tomorrow and update.
There is officially a recall campaign for this issue with new parts issued. Im just waiting on the new parts that have been issued. Haven't heard anything from my SA since I last brought it in.

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #39
ashtree
Rep

Hi All,
My parking break was finally fixed today. I applied it a few times and it seems to work fine without any error messages.
Hard to believe since I have been waiting since October, it could have been fixed before now, because the part was delivered in December and sent back because no one called to notify me.

I will test it a few more times to ensure that it's working for good. :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 05:42 PM   #40
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep

I am quite unable to figure how to use this stupid E brake when parked.The car rolls every time its parked on an incline with this electronic hand brake.

This is just driving me insane.I usually brake> Transmission to neutral> Hand brake> release foot off brake for the car to roll and to hold on the hand brake> set the transmission in to P mode> shut off engine.The moment i shut off the engine the car rolls.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 11:44 PM   #41
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthestck View Post
I am quite unable to figure how to use this stupid E brake when parked.The car rolls every time its parked on an incline with this electronic hand brake.

This is just driving me insane.I usually brake> Transmission to neutral> Hand brake> release foot off brake for the car to roll and to hold on the hand brake> set the transmission in to P mode> shut off engine.The moment i shut off the engine the car rolls.
All of mine do this too, sometime but not always. Just don't park to close to anything in front of you lol :P

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 08:31 AM   #42
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
All of mine do this too, sometime but not always. Just don't park to close to anything in front of you lol :P
I recently had a chance to rent a car and I specifically chose a car with e brake.I picked up a Volvo s 60 .It had the same system and worked flawless.No roll at all.My bigger concern is that if it's rolling it means that it's the transmission that's holding the car and not the hand brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 10:36 AM   #43
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You're right, I think the tranny makes the car lunge forward a bit, but it comes right back to where you left it, so I think the brakes are doing their job, but with a forward motion from the transmission at times. You can test it by putting the car in neutral and applying the brakes on a hill, they definitely work. I usually try to put the car in park, then let off the brake to let the car come to full rest, then apply brakes, no lunge forward when I do that.

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 12:07 PM   #44
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtree View Post
Hi,

I got my 2014 x3 yesterday (10/12/14). Soon as I got home with it and park it in the driveway, which slants slightly, I noticed a chiming noise on the dashboard, and was getting an error message about the parking brake malfunctioning.
I will be contacting my CA in the morning, it is very bad when problems start coming up three hours of having a brand new car.
Don't want nothing standing in the way of me enjoying my car.
Is this really an issue? I have got these messages of and on and once I disengage the parking brake, they go away. I really think its a software bug; nothing more.

Thoughts?
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0