BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

10-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #23
JorgenM
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: Jag i-Pace and BMW i3

Also remember that over 80% of those buying an i3 have never before owned a BMW, that is also quite a success and many of them are likely to continue buying BMW as most i3 owners are very satisfied with the car.

An yeah, I agree that the i3 is a piece of luxury, at least compared to my Model S with an interior that would never ever have been approved if it was a luxury brand.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #24
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I've already explained it very clearly, so let's please leave it there and allow the thread to stay on topic. Thanks for the discussion.
It is only in North America that cars are considered "luxury" or not. The rest of the world just calls them cars.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      10-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #25
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
It is only in North America that cars are considered "luxury" or not. The rest of the world just calls them cars.
I already specifically addressed that very point in one of my posts above. Thank you for staying on topic.
Appreciate 2
jmg18493.00
      10-17-2017, 11:15 AM   #26
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
I already specifically addressed that very point in one of my posts above. Thank you for staying on topic.

I like to think outside the box.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 10:20 PM   #27
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post

I like to think outside the box.
Some folks like to drive a luxury box apparently
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 11:43 AM   #28
Pretender
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 07 328i, 16 X1, >17M2

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
In the USA the top two EVs vs. the BMW i3:
data source - Good Car Bad Car
Not unexpected - just like any Nissan or Chevrolet commuter car outsells the BMW equivalent.

The more interesting comparison would be vs. a Tesla Model S since its also a luxury car, and in fact is priced much higher than the i3. Although I don't know its monthly sales figures in the US, I suspect it probably sells more than the i3. And that's where BMW has a big opportunity and needs to improve. The Model 3 will only make the disparity grow.

No reason why BMW shouldn't offer a funky hatchback like the i3, but for sure it should be a much lower priority than entires in the segments covered by the Model 3, Model Y, Model S, and Model X. BMW has shown that they have some plans in these segments, but it remains to be seen exactly how they are going to unify the electric versions on their traditional vehicles like the upcoming 3 Series and X3 electric drive models with the i5 and other vehicles coming to the i brand. It all seems a bit weak right now, and they need to get that buttoned up really quick.
i3 is pathetic at that price and it?s beyond ugly.
      10-20-2017, 05:17 PM   #29
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretender View Post
i3 is pathetic at that price and it?s beyond ugly.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and no one is paying full price for a new i3. Deals can be had and they are great secondary commuter cars. I got my $50k MSRP i3 for less than a new F30. Free charging for 2 years, fed tax credit, state rebate, and energy rebate means I don't pay for gas on my 80 mile commute when I use it. I could have gotten a Bolt for the same out of pocket for more electric range, but I only needed it for commuting to and from work and between offices. The Bolt is decent, but I enjoy sitting in an i3 much much more. More bells and whistles and while the Bolt is very economical inside, the i3 is spartan yet still elegant and pleasant to sit in. A lot of people don't like the eucalyptus wood, I rather think it makes a nice warm interior. Kudos for BMW for making an electric car weird enough to be interesting rather than pedestrian like a Bolt.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0