BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-28-2016, 11:04 PM   #1
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 WRX

Mustang GT350 as DD in Michigan...possible?

This is a little extreme, but a serious question. I currently DD an '08 328i sport w/ MT. Ive made it through the last couple winters just fine with snow tires, although ground clearance did become an issue after a handful of snow storms.

That said, i am looking ahead for my next ride. I am currently driving a 2016 explorer limited since my car is under the airbag recall. I thought i may go for an SUV or truck, but after driving the explorer, i want tol stick with a (fun) car.

The performance of the GT350 is unmatched at that price-point. My thought is to buy one and use it as a DD. I would put snow tires/rims through the winter, and either use my wifes car on bad snow days, or buy a beater pickup truck. Am i nuts to consider this? How much worse can it be than my RWD 328?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 12:36 AM   #2
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Realize, it gets exponentially harder to drive something like that in the winter, as the tire-sizes that will fit it will be very limited/expensive. You might end up getting a 2nd set of wheels so you can run true winter tires (skinnier than stock), which is really the way to go, but then you have to get ones that clear the massive brake calipers. Just plugging in some likely OEM tire sizes, I'm getting around $350/tire for "winter" non-studded tires. Also, your nice stiff anti-sway bars and suspension work against you in the nasty conditions, possibly causing an upset as one side hits a bump and tries to "throw" the force to the other side, causing you to lose control.

Really what it comes down to is the conditions (see where I live). If we are talking about some form of frozen water that covers the roads for months at a time, then no, I'd say it wouldn't make a daily driver. In some climates that get a lot of sun or are at high altitude, the snow simply melts off the road in a day or two, if not a few hours. In other cold northern climates, when snow or any other form of precip falls (because no matter what it is it usually freezes at some point), it's going to be there for a long time, because it's not going to go above freezing for a long time and there won't be enough sun to burn it off.

Like clockwork, there'll be a guy that comes on here and swears by driving racing slicks on iced-over lakes, but in the type of climate I live in, it makes a lot of sense to go with something that can handle the winter. The ridiculousness of some people's claims should be obvious. I gave up my Camaro SS (with upgraded suspension) eventually, but I did drive it for over two years up here. Better tires made a difference, but it's not fun trying to drive it around in the snow and the bottom line is it's not safe, not nearly as safe as driving something better suited. I generally did not drive it in the winter, except half a mile down the road to the supermarket to help circulate the fluids during winter. I picked up an older C class 4-matic. Even though the suspension on the 4-matic was soft, my god that was a good snow-vehicle, so balanced and you could control it so well with the throttle and wheel.

I say get the GT350, but get a beater too. Be honest with yourself about it's capabilities and the conditions. Buddy I work with picked up an old Subaru GL for $500 and has driven it for 2+ years, including during both winters. That's got to be the smart purchase of the century. I really want to get something that will handle like my camaro did, but for right now, it's not in the cards.

Last edited by RM7; 05-29-2016 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2016, 06:43 AM   #3
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

I'd go with the winter beater as a back up.....besides the challenges you'll have with traction vs HP even with winter tires, the ground clearance will be a bigger challenge, and frankly I don't think you'd enjoy driving that beauty in shitty conditions. I've always kept a second car for just such a reason. You don't want to take the fun out of having a car that's a toy.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #4
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
i worked with a guy that drove his last gen 5.0 all winter long thru many Boston winters. never asked him how he felt about it but i assume confident enough to keep doing it. i drive my M3 all year with snows. i know thats a lil different with not as much torque, slimmer tires and the ability to turn the power down. what you need to really consider isn't how much snowfall you tend to get but how much snow you tend to encounter on the road. some cities and areas aren't very prompt and let the snow build up and plow here and there and some cities are right on it plowing regularly. i drive the M3 during snow mostly because theres never really more than 3" on the road at any given time
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 09:35 AM   #5
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Just buy a beater car for the snow days. I ended up upgrading my truck to a much nicer truck, but will still be driving that in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 10:24 AM   #6
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
i worked with a guy that drove his last gen 5.0 all winter long thru many Boston winters. never asked him how he felt about it but i assume confident enough to keep doing it. i drive my M3 all year with snows. i know thats a lil different with not as much torque, slimmer tires and the ability to turn the power down. what you need to really consider isn't how much snowfall you tend to get but how much snow you tend to encounter on the road. some cities and areas aren't very prompt and let the snow build up and plow here and there and some cities are right on it plowing regularly. i drive the M3 during snow mostly because theres never really more than 3" on the road at any given time
I agree you need to look at where you live and what the plowing situation is, although in some cases here, dry cold snow gives you much better traction than many of the other possibilities, and not that it's great, but it's miles better than freezing rain, snow on ice, ice...

Those old 5.0s aren't a very good comparison though to how skinny the wheels already are on them, easier and cheaper to get studded tires for those and their tiny brakes surely clear cheap steel wheels that can be used for winter tires. I never really thought those were "serious" cars due to how skinny the tires were, the brakes, the solid rear end, tiny gas tank, etc. The GT350 is a whole 'nother animal and it's 100% serious IMO.

Also, modulating a clutch in some of these situations is much easier than trying to manage it with an auto, but it'll wear your leg out having to feather it so much to get going in the snow, ends up being very not-fun real fast.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 10:46 AM   #7
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Agree with others... I DD an F80 and just do winter tires. An haven't had 1 issue and the F80 makes more low end power than the GT350

You shouldn't have any problems, just a matter of knowing its not a 4x4 with ground clearance.. and its limited to ground clearance of less than probably 6-8 inch's then your plowing snow.

Biggest issue is finding tires for the stock rims or going after market .

The GT350 will do fine just as any another other high performance RWD car in cold months, just have to have proper tires and know how to handle a RWD car... it might shock you but it may actually be quite good in the snow, performance in the dry, often times equates to performance in the wet and snow.. just comes down to tires, drivers realistic ability and the conditions.

80% of the time in Michigan unless you live way out they keep up with the snow fall, so its not like your going to have many days where its super deep and not cleared. Keep in mind that Ford has probably tested, and tested and tested some more these cars in cold sub zero conditions and nasty conditions.

My vote GT350, Winter Tires/Winter Rims...
FYI Tirerack has Winter Tires in stock for the factory 19s
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...g&autoModClar=

Actually good tires, I use them on my F80

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 05-29-2016 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #8
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

That's a great idea for the summer. It will make a great daily driver. As soon as it snows you're absolutely crazy to use it. At that price point you can easily afford another car for winter
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 07:34 AM   #9
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Tires and ground clearance are the only limitations and ground clearance is only a major issue if you live in an area where it isn't plowed regularly. The GT 350 with a couple of inches of snow and good Winter tires on it will still stop and accelerate far better than many other cars with All Seasons.

Check out the long term reviews on Car and Driver for the Mustang and Corvette, they drive them through the winter around Detroit.

Personally, while it is possible to drive it year round I would buy a $5k "beater" to drive through the winter but only because I wouldn't want to put the car through it.
      05-31-2016, 09:13 AM   #10
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Tires and ground clearance are the only limitations
Suspension travel/stiffness, anti-sway bars transferring impacts to opposite side, weight on the axles, tire aspect ratio, probably no auto-start to thaw the vehicle and windows sometimes-otherwise people sit and idle until it's safe to go), engine block heater?, clutch pressure for feathering (often the only way to start rolling), car basically made to accelerate-bad for snow and ice, and so on. Only a fool would believe that the tires and ground clearance are the only limitations. Can you DD it? Sure, I've seen crazier, but the more exotic it gets, the more difficult it is and the more you have to be careful and do other things to ensure you are going to be alright.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 09:26 AM   #11
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

I think with good winter tires and common sense, yes, you certainly "could" do it. I see many Mustangs on the roads during winter, and we have snow on the ground for 4-5 months a year. Depends where you are, but most of Michigan would have less snow than where I live.

I'm blown away how well my own RWD performs in the snow with good winter tires, to be honest, it's far exceeded all of my expectations. No trips/commutes cancelled yet, no matter what the weather.

That said, having driven my friend's 2014 GT with performance pack, or whatever it's called, I wouldn't personally do it (he doesn't either). That V8 packs lots of raw power and traction/stability controls, just don't seem to be as refined/quick as they are in BMW cars, it's easy to make the rear end move even on dry roads with all electronic nannies on. As others have said, something like old/used Subaru Forester would be my winter car if I was in your shoes
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 09:32 AM   #12
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
OK, so it won't stall, they tested that well, but I haven't seen them actually drive it on the snow. Can't say it's very convincing clip for future Mustang owners who might consider driving it during winter.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 09:32 AM   #13
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
I think with good winter tires and common sense, yes, you certainly "could" do it. I see many Mustangs on the roads during winter, and we have snow on the ground for 4-5 months a year. Depends where you are, but most of Michigan would have less snow than where I live.

I'm blown away how well my own RWD performs in the snow with good winter tires, to be honest, it's far exceeded all of my expectations. No trips/commutes cancelled yet, no matter what the weather.

That said, having driven my friend's 2014 GT with performance pack, or whatever it's called, I wouldn't personally do it (he doesn't either). That V8 packs lots of raw power and traction/stability controls, just don't seem to be as refined/quick as they are in BMW cars, it's easy to make the rear end move even on dry roads with all electronic nannies on. As others have said, something like old/used Subaru Forester would be my winter car if I was in your shoes
Don't forget our Bimmers are near 50/50 balance from the factory, i doubt the Shelby is and don't forget the Shelby is sitting on 305s in the rear
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 11:13 AM   #14
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Suspension travel/stiffness, anti-sway bars transferring impacts to opposite side, weight on the axles, tire aspect ratio, probably no auto-start to thaw the vehicle and windows sometimes-otherwise people sit and idle until it's safe to go), engine block heater?, clutch pressure for feathering (often the only way to start rolling), car basically made to accelerate-bad for snow and ice, and so on. Only a fool would believe that the tires and ground clearance are the only limitations. Can you DD it? Sure, I've seen crazier, but the more exotic it gets, the more difficult it is and the more you have to be careful and do other things to ensure you are going to be alright.
For most people living in Michigan (his location), and in most urban areas (where most people in Michigan live) where the roads are regularly plowed the above is way overblown. It is not the perfect car but his question was "Am I nuts to consider this". Go to Michigan in the winter, at least in the urban areas and see lots of Corvette's, all having most of the same issues this car does, again, not the perfect car but not "Nuts". Your experience in the woods of Alaska are possibly different.

Engine block heater, if needed, has to be added to virtually every car, weight distribution is far closer to evenly split than most RWD cars (far more weight on the drive wheels), auto start is completely a luxury and not needed, "clutch pressure for feathering" - ok it has a clutch, as many cars do - not seeing the sudden issue, tire aspect ratio - I would expect an 18" wheel, with narrower Winter tires could be used, I would check.

Most performance cars (even my RWD ATS which I drive all over Ohio, Indiana, Ontario and Michigan as part of my job) also have a "Snow" setting which deadens the throttle response to make the high hp issue much less of an issue).
      05-31-2016, 02:23 PM   #15
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
OK, so it won't stall, they tested that well, but I haven't seen them actually drive it on the snow. Can't say it's very convincing clip for future Mustang owners who might consider driving it during winter.
I am sure Ford drives/tested a GT350 in the snow.. I doubt there is one major manufacturer that doesn't do winter snow testing..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 02:34 PM   #16
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
I am sure Ford drives/tested a GT350 in the snow.. I doubt there is one major manufacturer that doesn't do winter snow testing..
Oh I'm sure they do . I just meant it'd be a lot more convincing video if they showed that as well. It'd be nice to see the car's handling the snow in a video titled "winter testing" .
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 09:42 PM   #17
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
For most people living in Michigan (his location), and in most urban areas (where most people in Michigan live) where the roads are regularly plowed the above is way overblown. It is not the perfect car but his question was "Am I nuts to consider this". Go to Michigan in the winter, at least in the urban areas and see lots of Corvette's, all having most of the same issues this car does, again, not the perfect car but not "Nuts". Your experience in the woods of Alaska are possibly different.
No, I live in an urban area.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 07:27 AM   #18
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

According to Ford the GT 350's (not the R) overall height is .2 inches lower than a standard Mustang -

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/spe...ions/exterior/

If you want to drive one in the snow I would look into what the wheel and tire options are for Winter tires (hopefully 18" wheels, narrower tires), see if others around you are driving standard Mustang's, ask them what they think and then do it. I think if you will find it is common for people in Michigan, IN, and Ohio to drive Mustangs through the winter with All Season tires, which I would not do, but would be a good indication of what it possible.