BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-22-2016, 10:26 AM   #1
white2abbit
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4

Arrow Got a Cayman GT4, and a little history

I wrote this story up for another forum, but figured I'd post it here, and add a little to it.

Apologies in advance for the extreme length.

I've always aspired to own a really nice car, and was slowly working my way up the ranks. Owning a Porsche was always my end goal, but had always planned to get an M car first.

My dad taught me to drive stick when I was 16, in his Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo. Boy was that car fast. He still has the car today, and has since modified the exhaust, and put on some nice wheels and tires. I'll track down a photo eventually.

For a few years I'd drive my mom's van (and later her Mitsubishi Endeavor), and when I was lucky, my dad's Stealth.

I bought my first car in 2006 to attend college. It was a black '98 Subaru Legacy GT. Manual of course.

The car was a ton of fun. I was into rally driving quite a bit (anyone remember the Richard Burn's rally game?), and was absolutely thrilled to have my very own car. In the snow the car was incredibly fun – especially going sideways.

Unfortunately the car met its demise pretty early when someone crashed into it.

I didn't drive for over a year as I was stuck paying off debt, etc.

Fast forward a bit and I became enthralled with drifting. I practiced day in and day out in Gran Turismo (with a steering wheel setup), and couldn't wait to someday get my own drift car.

I ended up finding an '89 180sx (right-hand drive) and jumped the gun.

The car made around ~275rwhp, and sounded like a beast (straight pipes!). It was my first real sports car, and I was in love. Every time I got in it to drive to work it was like I had won the lottery.

Unfortunately, my insurance company didn't see eye to eye with me, and cancelled my policy after 3 weeks. Had to sell it.

At least I managed to put 3,000km on it in the 3 weeks (about 1,800 miles)!

I took a quick trip to Italy, where I was lucky enough (well, I paid), to drive a 458 Italia and a 430 Scuderia.

I posted about it on 6Speed way back: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/f...other-day.html

When I was back home in Ontario, I took some time and looked around for something that'd fly with my insurance company. After a lot of searching, I managed to find a completely stock 1997 240sx (an S14 "Kouki" for those that are familiar with S-chassis).

The car remained stock for a little while, but I couldn't resist the urge to start modding it.

In North America, these cars were given a 4-cylinder truck motor. Not really that fun. The 180sx had the Japanese SR20DET motor, which is much more fun. Ultimately, and engine swap was my plan.

But before I was going to focus on the (expensive) engine, I figured I'd get everything else in line.

I started off by replacing the factory sound system and tinting the windows (aka the "early 20's" mods).

I then found an HKS Hi-power exhaust and installed it. Next came a set of wide bronze wheels with drift-spec tires.

The subframe bushings were shot, so I replaced them with solid aluminum ones. Installed some HSD coilovers and a short shifter, and I was almost there!

It was Tuesday evening and I booked my first track day for a Saturday. The next morning I was going to have new multi-link suspension installed, along with a few other little goodies.

I woke up Wednesday morning, and the car was gone. It'd been stolen!!!!

Here's what it looked like right before it was stolen:

And just like that, it was gone. Forever.

I didn't have theft insurance (long story), so I was literally out about $20k overnight.

I needed something to get me to work, so a friend hooked me up with an automatic 2000 Toyota Corolla with ~280,000km on it for $1k.

I drove the car for a year, never spent a penny on it. The car was dinged up, so I decided to turn it into a canvas for my friends to "write" (aka key) on:

Decided I needed to go to the racetrack, even in an automatic Toyota Corolla.

Drove around at Mosport DDT all day, managing to keep up with some Acura Integras and the like. I knew I should cool the car down a bit more than I had been doing, but I didn't really care. I didn't necessarily expect to make it back with the car.

And I didn't. The engine blew.

Okay, now it was time for something a little more grown up. There was a guy that worked in the same office building as I did that had a really nice E36 328i coupe with a few mods. I started chatting with him one day and he convinced me that I needed an E36.

I set out to find one, and managed to find a black, manual, '98 E36 328i sedan with only 100,000km on it (about 60,000 miles).

It didn't have any of the sporty parts, but it still felt quite sporty. It was solid, quick, and had great feedback. This was my first taste of German engineering. It wasn't an M car, but it was a step in the right direction.

I took the car to the track a couple months later, but with the soft "comfort" suspension (and really shitty summer tires), the car was somehow less fun than my Corolla. Maybe it was because I cared about ruining it.

I've owned the car for the last 5 years, and it's been the best all-around car I've owned.

I've taken it camping, to cottages, to the track (just the once), and had used it to get to work and such for years.

For the last few years I had been focused on starting my own business. There were many ups and downs, and times I thought I might not even be able to pay my rent.

I had become wise enough to know that I'd never buy a nice car again until I could properly afford it (something I can't say about my early days spending money on cars, much like a lot of young guys).

For the last five years I've spent hours EVERY day thinking about cars. What would I buy if I could afford something nicer? What's my next car?

I waited and waited, and even after my business started doing well I held off. I didn't want to rush into anything.

I spent some time traveling, including taking a trip to Germany to visit my sister. I rented a BMW M4 for 3 days and drove from Munich to Berlin, and then from Berlin to the Nurburgring. Managed to (safely) get up to 270km/h on the Autobahn.

The M4 was such a wonderful all-around car. It was comfortable, high-tech, good looking, and incredibly fast. It felt like the fastest car I'd ever driven – on par with the 458 Italia (which it's probably not, but still).

The rental was a DCT (which was my only complaint), but otherwise I was really happy with it. It didn't sound nearly as "bad" as I had expected, and as a daily driver all-around car, it felt perfect.

Passenger took this pic!

It had always been on my bucket list to drive on the Ring, and it was finally my turn.

Rented a Toyota GT86 with semi-slick tires, racing pads, a roll-cage/rear and a seat delete – but otherwise stock. Was the greatest thing I've ever done.

I was blown away at how well the GT86 handled on the Nurburgring, and it was more than enough car for me for my first time there.

I traveled for quite a while after that, but once I landed back in Canada the car shopping voices in my head wouldn't keep quiet. I'd been thinking about getting an M3/M4, or maybe an M2 for quite a while. But I couldn't quite make a decision.

I much prefer the looks of the M3/M4, but the M2 was quite the bargain. After much decision making I decided to get an M2 – but then I found out I'd have to wait a year to get one. That's too long!

I then thought about ordering an Individual M3/M4, and picking it up in Germany. Another major thing on my bucket list. The only problem was, I didn't really want to do anymore travel this year. I then spent a ton of time trying to decide between the M3 or the M4. I generally prefer the looks of the M3, and it's much more practical – but then I'd be behind an M4 on the road and fall back in love with the looks (especially the back). I figured if I'm getting a sports car, I should just get a coupe. But I felt like I'd regret it.

Again, I couldn't decide. And that's when it finally became clear what my next move would be.

And here it is. A 2016 Porsche Cayman GT4, fully loaded with almost every option. Just picked it up on Tuesday. Quite the upgrade from my '98 E36 328i.

Sorry for the iPhone pics – more pics to come once I can get out with my D750

I took delivery this past Tuesday and have spent a fair bit of time driving it. But a lot of that has unfortunately been in traffic. I must say, the car is really good in traffic, and it's an easier driving experience than my E36. The seats are more rigid, but they're really comfortable. I haven't gotten out and complained about my back yet.

Compared to the M4 I rented in Germany, this car is just SO much more alive. Everything about it feels like it's been designed for the utmost driving experience. And the sound. Holy shit does this thing sound incredible. The M4 accelerated faster, but who cares about (just) acceleration?

The car has all of the technology and creature comforts you want – but it never feels like a computer's driving the car. It feels like and old-school sports car, somehow with all of the latest modern tech.

It looks fantastic, sounds great, and the handling is the best I've ever experienced. You can really feel the down-force at speed. The 918 bucket seats hug you like a bear, and are an absolute must-have option.

I'm really happy with my decision to get the GT4 over an F8X. It already feels a little bit pointless having a car like this in Toronto, but I would have always wondered "what if" if I went with the BMW. For anyone trying to decide between the two, I think it just depends on what you need it for. As an all-around daily driver the BMW makes more sense. But if this is a car you're going to be using just for fun, the Porsche wins, hands down.

I look forward to driving this as much as possible this summer before parking it away for the winter. I still have the E36 and will keep it as my daily driver for a while.

BUT, I have decided one thing. If things are going well next spring, I think I'll pick up an F80 M3 as a daily driver to replace the E36. If I do, I'll probably Euro-deliver it, and get some sort of individual paint. The only decision to make then will be which colour.

Thanks for reading my extremely long essay!
'20 BMW M2 Competition (6spd, Euro-delivered July '19)

Last edited by white2abbit; 05-28-2016 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 22
theriz405.50
P1 PET396.00
ccdre337.00
hybris204.50
      05-22-2016, 02:34 PM   #2
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Beautiful choice in color. I love the Agate Grey and black wheels combo. Enjoy the new car, it is such a fun drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 03:20 PM   #3
KShirza1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 SB

Love the GT4, great car!
      05-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Congrats. That's an awesome car in a great color.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 10:11 PM   #5
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Great choice......welcome to the family............Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 10:39 PM   #6
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

Congrats, Porsche is my dream car
      05-22-2016, 11:06 PM   #7
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Congrats on a beautiful car. Love the GT4 and tried really really hard to get one. I was told it is impossible because in order to be considered a potential purchaser you need to have a good history with the dealer/brand etc, etc. Long story short I won't be able to get one. Really frustrated with the Porsche experience so far (and I haven't even bought a car yet).
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 11:57 PM   #8
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Oh a gt4 owner would like an f80 for a daily. I thought the new generation f8x sucks?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 12:21 AM   #9
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Is this an excerpt from your book? Can't wait to see them make it into a movie.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 12:22 AM   #10
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

You're an egomaniac, but you have a solid background for a car enthusiast so I'll indulge you and appreciate the post.

Great car choice, by the way. That thing beats the shit out of an M4 in terms of build quality and stock setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 02:06 AM   #11
GotE46M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Few M cars.

I think you made a great decision! I hope to pick up a GT3/GT4 in the near future along with my M3.

Nice write up too! Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 08:33 AM   #12
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

What a great story, congrats on the new car. My buddy has a yellow GT4 that he lets me drive around in the mountains and the car is absolutely amazing.

I have an E36 M3 and love the car to death. On top of that and the E92 M3, I also plan on adding an F80 to be the new DD. They're all great cars and will all serve its purpose, but boy would I love a GT4 as well!
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2016, 10:09 AM   #13
white2abbit
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
What a great story, congrats on the new car. My buddy has a yellow GT4 that he lets me drive around in the mountains and the car is absolutely amazing.

I have an E36 M3 and love the car to death. On top of that and the E92 M3, I also plan on adding an F80 to be the new DD. They're all great cars and will all serve its purpose, but boy would I love a GT4 as well!
That sounds like a really great collection! It'd be so cool to own an M from every generation. All you're missing is an E46

(the E30's are just way too expensive these days, at least in Canada)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 10:10 AM   #14
white2abbit
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Oh a gt4 owner would like an f80 for a daily. I thought the new generation f8x sucks?
I didn't say that.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 10:16 AM   #15
dragonsi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Niceeeee, amazing you were able to be so patient all this time!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 10:17 AM   #16
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by white2abbit View Post
That sounds like a really great collection! It'd be so cool to own an M from every generation. All you're missing is an E46

(the E30's are just way too expensive these days, at least in Canada)
I actually considered getting a higher mileage E46 M3 when I was looking for a DD and ended up with the E36 instead. Didn't want to deal with the maintenance.

I think it would definitely be cool to add an LSB E46 M3 convertible after the F80, but honestly, I think I'm tapping out after the F80. Total insurance on all 3 M3's will be pretty high, no way to garage all of them, plus there's no way to be able to drive them all.

Not to mention owning a Porsche is definitely a bucket list of mine. Still wouldn't be as cool as your story though. Going from a Corolla to a GT4 is something to be very proud of!
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 10:34 AM   #17
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Such an awesome story! Thanks for posting this.

Now you need to come back to Germany, rent a Porsche and go on one of their "Driving Experience" tours. Porsche plans everything for you, you just pick up a car and drive at your own speed to each destination. Plus they give you some freebies like luggage(at least they use too). Its something I have always wanted to go on.

https://drivingexperience.porsche.co...services/tours
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2016, 11:10 AM   #18
elim11
Major
Rep
Drives: e90m3

Great Writeup. GT4 looks amazing. Enjoy it in health!
      05-23-2016, 12:53 PM   #19
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Here follows a summary of the first post:
Cayman GT4. The End.

05-23-2016, 01:08 PM   #20
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

great write up, favorite part was that corolla story, lol! I hope your GT4 doesn't go the way of your early rides, I love that color and the black accents, it's how I would design the car for myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 01:44 PM   #21
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by white2abbit View Post
I didn't say that.
I know I was being sarcastic. Everyone gives the f8x such crap, but in reality a lot of people actually like it. When you own a gt3 and have an f80 as a daily doesn't that say something? Then you have a gt4 and would like an f80 as a daily. Trend?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 02:38 PM   #22
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

Awesome story. Love the GT4!
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 0