BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

02-19-2024, 11:04 AM   #1
mbtsvntrs
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

2016 740i - G12 B58 Vanos Issue Software Update

Good morning,
I am new to the BMW community, and I was lucky (from what I've read, and seen) to start with the B58 Engine on my 2016 740i.

The vehicle was purchased in summertime, but when the cold arrived, I encountered a 13070B - VANOS, inlet, cold start: not adjustable.

Followed by a 120408 - Boost pressure control shutdown as a follow-up reaction.

I've gone through a few diag steps, i.e. change of oil being the first (and least expensive) thing, thinking that my VANOS Solenoid was dirty/clogged.

Found out I do not have "VANOS Solenoids" per se, in this engine they are called "VANOS Center Valve".

But before that I changed the VANOS Actuators, thinking it was not only the seals, but also the actuator itself.

The error still there, and I moved to more involved fix, of changing the center valves.

So, after several oil changes, and engine flushes, changing of VANOS Actuators, and Center Valves, the error still there.

The weirdest thing that I noticed however was that when the oil temp reached 90+ Degrees Celsius, the error would go way, but simply shutting car off and re-starting it, and all was well in B58 engine world, no more limp mode.

My next step was an even more involved process, that I really did not want to visit, and that's when I ran into this:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...36333-9999.pdf

This documents says that the fix is simply a software update:
CORRECTION
Update the vehicle software using ISTA 4.

I'm mentioning all of this because I've gone through some expense getting to this point, I have not done the update because I had a question for the community and hope that someone has an answer.

My questions is:
Do I need to update through the dealer and their ISTA 4 software if my plan is to flash and tune the vehicle? either through BM3 or other means.

Would a BM3 tune get rid of this issue, if it's only a software issue and not mechanical.

I hope I have been able to communicate what I am asking, in my mind, it makes sense but I am not sure how exactly flashing, works, vs a dealer update.

Thank you in advance.

-M
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 01:06 PM   #2
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

You want vehicle to be at latest integration levels anyway when you take the car to tuner. Not sure but I would think tuners themselves would also update to latest software that is available to them. You really want to get it done before tuning, because if you are going to do it down the line with whole car integration level update, then you will wipe the tune.

This update can be done on DME only as well, but seeing as this TSB applies to i-levels 17-07 and 17-11, and if that is your case, then your whole car is overdue for software update and full software should be deployed thorough ISTA. Whether you do it yourself, have indie garage do it, take it to dealer or possibly have it updated by tuner, is up to you. Perhaps you can get it done for free at the dealership, seeing as there is TSB out for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 07:58 AM   #3
mbtsvntrs
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo5 View Post
You want vehicle to be at latest integration levels anyway when you take the car to tuner. Not sure but I would think tuners themselves would also update to latest software that is available to them. You really want to get it done before tuning, because if you are going to do it down the line with whole car integration level update, then you will wipe the tune.

This update can be done on DME only as well, but seeing as this TSB applies to i-levels 17-07 and 17-11, and if that is your case, then your whole car is overdue for software update and full software should be deployed thorough ISTA. Whether you do it yourself, have indie garage do it, take it to dealer or possibly have it updated by tuner, is up to you. Perhaps you can get it done for free at the dealership, seeing as there is TSB out for it.

Raimo5,
Just to follow up and I hope it helps others as well.

The vehicle needed to be updated, through ISTA+ I was able to update to I-Level S15A-21-07-562, from a 4 years old I-Level. This fixed the error.

The only thing I had going for me that lead me to the update was that once the oil reached a certain Temperature (over 90 degrees Celsius) it would work normally. I believe, that if it was a mechanical issue, clogged actuator, or center valve (that's as far as I got to replacing) or worse, cams... the error would stay on all the time, and NOT just when it's cold.

thank you for your help and Advise.

-M
Appreciate 0