BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-05-2017, 09:47 AM   #1
enron29
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Home Insurance

Hey guys, just moved to Texas from CA. Big change here is the weather. Obviously the storms out here are pretty crazy in comparison to "weather" we had in CA. Our home got hit pretty hard by a hail storm about a month ago, and had portions of our fence blown over. We had an adjuster come out last week, and said the roof (which we had done last Sept. when we bought the house) was totaled as well as the gutters. And he said we could get money for the fences as well.

We got the numbers from insurance yesterday, and they seem pretty low to me. Also, they only gave me money to fix 16 linear feet of fence, and just wash/stain the rest. My questions are as follows:

1. What amount is truly paid to me, and what is the whole process with that? Is it the amount minus depreciation minus deductible?

2. If I have to replace my whole fence due to all new fences requiring metal posts per city ordinance, should I get the amount to replace the whole fence? Also, they only gave like $12/LF to replace the fence. But a fence costs like $30ish/LF to replace. Can I ask for more?

3. What if the amount the contractor says it takes to do the job is more? Can they work this out with insurance?

These are just some of my questions of the top of my head. Any insight would be really helpful.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #2
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

First it depend on what your policy says about replacement (did you pay for replace cost). I personally never had to use my home owners insurance. I know people who have and they all told me it is better to work with a independent insurance adjustor. This again depend on your insurance policy and the state. Some states require insurance companies to allow for independent insurance adjustors. If they say the entire fence needs to be replace the insurance company had to comply. Especially if the building code has changes since the original fence was installed. With building code stuff, if you touch one part the local code usually requires everything to be brought up to code.

On payment, again you can have the check sent to you or the contractor directly. I personally would have it sent to me, and you pay the contractor when you are stratified with the work. I heard of screws up happening on the payments and work being done correctly.

Last edited by Maestro; 06-12-2017 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 02:25 PM   #3
Scout10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 X28i

I would also take this info and go talk to neighbors ! (not just one)
This is not isolated what your experiencing, and where in TX are you?
(did you get over the diff in house prices yet??? compared to Holy-fornia!!)
My son lives NE of Dallas 10 miles . . . . . this is nothing new.
I've gone down there to help organize or complete repairs after
"another" storm. Hes on 3rd roof in 5yrs !!!

And talk to your insur. AGENT. with some of these questions.
1965 Chevrolet Corvette 327 / 4spd Convt
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 02:50 PM   #4
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by enron29 View Post
Hey guys, just moved to Texas from CA.
Sorry for your loss
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 06:59 AM   #5
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

1. Policy specific. Is your policy for replacement cost or value?
2. Dunno. I'd DIY it all.
3. Policy specific. Some policies will pay out beyond the amount insured, but not at 100%. That aside, your insurance company may ask for addt'l quotes/bids to have a basis as to whether or not your contractor is inflating their price. I'd ask them....worst they do is say, "no".