BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

08-05-2009, 12:33 AM   #1
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Things I've noticed about my F01 vs E65

Okay so compared to the 2006 E65 we had before here are some things I've noticed:

Pros:
-the new idrive is awesome.
-love how u dont have to push the door handle in anymore to lock it with comfort access, u just touch the handle like on my e90
-love the ipod integration.
- 450lb ft at 1800RPM
- active steering and 4 wheel steering
-back-uo cam, its even great at night!
-love the gauges and the functionality of the second screen in the IP
-HUD is awesome
-the interior quality is much nicer.
-power trunk is MUCH quieter
-love the design of the door handles and how u pull the handle and the keyhole remains
-all of the lights... side, front, rear... all awesome
-the E65 was a pain in the ass in a parking lot, my full sized Range Rover was better in a parking lot than our E65. The F01 feels like my E90 in a parking lot, nimble and painless.
-love the "hot buttons"
- <3 ceramic trim
-<3 ash grain wood
- the ventilated seats are much quieter and work much better
-i could list the pros forever but most of u know what they are... it may seem like my con list is long in comparison but they are just the things ive noticed.

Cons:
- im not sure if its just because the car is so new but i cant stop the thing smoothly. i always end up making it buck
- the ride, even in sport, is still too floaty for my taste. IMO the E65 had a great ride and maybe it was because it had 21" wheels on it but I prefered the ride in that car to the new one, i like to feel the road when i drive, even if im driving a "luxury barge" the E38 and E65 managed to make it work so i dont know what happened on the F01
-when stopped and in Drive the car tends to shudder. my E90 335 does it so im not sure if its just the nature of a turbo engine but it does it and our old E65 with its NA engine didnt
- the often discussed throttle calibration issue
- i would have preferred a more durable leather on the console, i can already tell its going to be TOTALLY shot. but i guess thats what the warranty is for.
-there was A LOT more interior storage in the E65
-slightly smaller trunk
-[stupid but...] the key is HUGE
-the E65 never rattled after 3 years and 42000 miles and i already hear a slight rattle coming from the driver side window with 150 miles on the car.
-[weird but...] anyone think the signal stalk has a little too much travel? its like u have to move ur hand off where [at least i do] ur holding the wheel to signal whereas in every other BMW [and Range Rover] weve had u didnt have to.
-i wish the phone cradle was removable. i didnt order 6NF for a reason and to have it take up 50% of my console is annoying,

ill edit as i think of more
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 07:09 AM   #2
edlee
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F02

-the E65 never rattled after 3 years and 42000 miles and i already hear a slight rattle coming from the driver side window with 150 miles on the car.

Its not from the window. Observe carefully and you'll find the noise is actually from the seatbelt tensioner - sound is coming from the pillar right next to your ear. I've had it in my F02 also. The car is so quiet but for this noise.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
hayden
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 750Li

good list!

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
7eavenSeal
Bavarian knight
Germany
Rep
Drives: 09 750i; 93 E36

Greetings,

Ditto on all the above,

other weirdities:

1. Love the Ipod Integration except that when sorted by album, left pressing the IDRIVE knob takes you back to the beginning of the library. There is no way to go back to where you were in the library.

2. Has anyone been able to explain the annoyin lag when moving off from a halt...What's there to think about I just stepped on the gas...can we please start moving?

3. Compared to a few other high end cars i have driven (LEXUS LS, MB E Class) I think there is a bit too much wid noise inside the cab above 120mph (yes i live in germany)

4. Auto park (goes into park when you stop) is kinda jerky

5. I get flashed a lot because uncoming traffic thinks my brights are on.

6. Is it just me or does it seem all the music is in the front? I like my bass behind me so I can here the "music" up front

7. There is no volume display

I think 7 is enough... wouldn't want to give the impression I have anything but LOVE for my new 7EVEN.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
hayden
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7eavenSeal View Post
3. Compared to a few other high end cars i have driven (LEXUS LS, MB E Class) I think there is a bit too much wid noise inside the cab above 120mph (yes i live in germany)
Wish I had that "problem".

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
ditto on #6
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #7
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwhite335 View Post
Okay so compared to the 2006 E65 we had before here are some things I've noticed:

Cons:
- im not sure if its just because the car is so new but i cant stop the thing smoothly. i always end up making it buck
- the ride, even in sport, is still too floaty for my taste. IMO the E65 had a great ride and maybe it was because it had 21" wheels on it but I prefered the ride in that car to the new one, i like to feel the road when i drive, even if im driving a "luxury barge" the E38 and E65 managed to make it work so i dont know what happened on the F01
-when stopped and in Drive the car tends to shudder. my E90 335 does it so im not sure if its just the nature of a turbo engine but it does it and our old E65 with its NA engine didnt
- the often discussed throttle calibration issue
- i would have preferred a more durable leather on the console, i can already tell its going to be TOTALLY shot. but i guess thats what the warranty is for.
-there was A LOT more interior storage in the E65
-slightly smaller trunk
-[stupid but...] the key is HUGE
-[weird but...] anyone think the signal stalk has a little too much travel? its like u have to move ur hand off where [at least i do] ur holding the wheel to signal whereas in every other BMW [and Range Rover] weve had u didnt have to.
-i wish the phone cradle was removable. i didnt order 6NF for a reason and to have it take up 50% of my console is annoying,

ill edit as i think of more
- I had a 'bit' of an issue with the brakes at the beginning too. Took me about 100km or so to get used to them and now they are sort of 'worked in' and I have no problem stopping the car smoothly.
- Same goes for the accelerator, was a bit too sensitive at the beginning, the car would literally JUMP, but the car adjusted to 'my way of accelerating' and that works really nicely too now. Apparently, the car sort of learns or adjusts to different driving styles. You can ask your SA to have that reset if you are not happy with the way the car handles the acceleration.
- I have the individual 20" performance tires on the car and I find that that gives me just the right balance between a comfortable ride in the comfort or normal mode and sporty enough in the sport modes without being too harsh. I test drove the same car on 18" wheels and the ride was considerably 'softer' in the sport mode, so I am glad I went with the 20" wheels.
- I do agree with you, the key is huge compared to most other BMW models.
- The rattling might be the seat belt pre-tensioner. It should only do that at the beginning after you buckle up and start the engine.
- I have the individual leather dashboard and find it quite durable (for a leather dashboard that is!).
- Even without the phone cradle, the space in the center console isn't that big so you wouldn't be able to put much in there to begin with. I have the cradle in it and I just store my sunglasses in there. I also have a 64GB USB stick in the USB slot in the center console, so there is really nothing else that you can really put in there...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #8
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7eavenSeal View Post
Greetings,

Ditto on all the above,

other weirdities:

1. Love the Ipod Integration except that when sorted by album, left pressing the IDRIVE knob takes you back to the beginning of the library. There is no way to go back to where you were in the library.

2. Has anyone been able to explain the annoyin lag when moving off from a halt...What's there to think about I just stepped on the gas...can we please start moving?

4. Auto park (goes into park when you stop) is kinda jerky

5. I get flashed a lot because uncoming traffic thinks my brights are on.

6. Is it just me or does it seem all the music is in the front? I like my bass behind me so I can here the "music" up front

7. There is no volume display

I think 7 is enough... wouldn't want to give the impression I have anything but LOVE for my new 7EVEN.
1. I use a 64GB USB stick and have about 7200 songs on it right now. It only seems to forget where in my entire library I was when I press the iDrive controller to the left after I turn off the car and restart the engine. Otherwise, the entire library browsing works quite well. I always use the browse directory mode and since my entire library is sorted by artist > album, I have no issues with going back and forth between the different albums. The only time it jumps back to the beginning seem to be when I turned off the car and next time I press the controller to the left it goes back into the external device main menu.

2. My car doesn't seem to have any issues with any lags, I would say it's quite the opposite. It sometimes seems WAY to eager to get going. Unless you take it easy on the accelerator, the car WANTS to jump... I LOVE the acceleration of this car, it's just awesome

3. I just came back from a 800km (500 miles) trip and I had the car up to about 210km/h (130mph) a few times and I have to say that I am quite pleased how quiet the car actually is. If memory and feelings serve me right, the wind noise might be slightly louder than the MB S class I test drove, but in general, I would say it is about the same.

4. Are you referring to the auto hold or the parking brakes?
I have used the auto hold a few times and it works flawlessly without any hint of jerking. Although there is a slight audible noise from when the brakes release when you start driving again as the brakes are still activated when you start to drive off. But the is no 'jerking' of any kind either when I stop or start to drive.

5. Haven't encountered that problem yet...

6. Have you tried to adjust the tone settings (fader, balance, equalizer, etc)??? I find the audio system is very well balanced (that is after I made some minor adjustments to the settings).

7. What do you really need a volume display for?

8. <<< What's that doing here in a 7 series forum ???
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
Spiroman
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Alpina B7

For those experiencing noticeable wind noise, try pulling the sunroof cover closed. On my current E65, that significantly diminishes the wind noise at speed.

Best regards.

Spiroman
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #10
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
- I had a 'bit' of an issue with the brakes at the beginning too. Took me about 100km or so to get used to them and now they are sort of 'worked in' and I have no problem stopping the car smoothly.
- Same goes for the accelerator, was a bit too sensitive at the beginning, the car would literally JUMP, but the car adjusted to 'my way of accelerating' and that works really nicely too now. Apparently, the car sort of learns or adjusts to different driving styles. You can ask your SA to have that reset if you are not happy with the way the car handles the acceleration.
- I have the individual 20" performance tires on the car and I find that that gives me just the right balance between a comfortable ride in the comfort or normal mode and sporty enough in the sport modes without being too harsh. I test drove the same car on 18" wheels and the ride was considerably 'softer' in the sport mode, so I am glad I went with the 20" wheels.
- I do agree with you, the key is huge compared to most other BMW models.
- The rattling might be the seat belt pre-tensioner. It should only do that at the beginning after you buckle up and start the engine.
- I have the individual leather dashboard and find it quite durable (for a leather dashboard that is!).
- Even without the phone cradle, the space in the center console isn't that big so you wouldn't be able to put much in there to begin with. I have the cradle in it and I just store my sunglasses in there. I also have a 64GB USB stick in the USB slot in the center console, so there is really nothing else that you can really put in there...

the dashboard durability isnt the issue. the console is what im concerned about. i have the optional leather dash and its beautiful
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #11
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiroman View Post
For those experiencing noticeable wind noise, try pulling the sunroof cover closed. On my current E65, that significantly diminishes the wind noise at speed.

Best regards.

Spiroman
THEY FINALLY FIXED IT WITH THE F01!!!!!! Two E65s and countless sunroof replacements later we finally have a 7 series that doesnt have a noisy sunroof
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 01:40 AM   #12
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiroman View Post

Best regards.

Spiroman
The F01/F02 sunroof is powered. You can't manually pull the internal cover compared to the older models.

I always drive with the sunroof closed (glass and cover), so maybe that's why I don't hear any significant wind noise... I have to give that a try and see what difference it makes with the cover open and closed
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 01:45 AM   #13
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
the dashboard durability isnt the issue. the console is what im concerned about. i have the optional leather dash and its beautiful
Ah... ok, I think I know what you mean. Well, on my car the console is covered in Merino leather (in Platinum to boot), so I am always careful to begin with. The only area that I could see that might get trashed is the actual center console arm rest. Is that what you are referring to?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 10:42 PM   #14
spidey 7
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 750i

XDrive50i,
Where in the USA did you drive 130mph? I would love to do that in my F 01 but don't have the nerve in Southern California.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #15
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Ah... ok, I think I know what you mean. Well, on my car the console is covered in Merino leather (in Platinum to boot), so I am always careful to begin with. The only area that I could see that might get trashed is the actual center console arm rest. Is that what you are referring to?
yes thats what im talking about. not to mention my mom always puts her various enormous purses on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #16
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey 7 View Post
XDrive50i,
Where in the USA did you drive 130mph? I would love to do that in my F 01 but don't have the nerve in Southern California.
I'm not in the USA

There are a couple of places around here where there are LONG stretches of flat highway and there was basically no traffic so I gave it a try. Let me make this clear, I do NOT normally drive my cars at these kind of speeds. This was just to see how the car sounds and handles at that kind of speed. 99.9% of the time I drive the speed limit and I would never attempt something like this if there was traffic around! I can however say that I am VERY pleased with the car. It handles great and although the wind noise does get louder, I think considering the circumstances, it is more than acceptable
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #17
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
yes thats what im talking about. not to mention my mom always puts her various enormous purses on it.
LOL, yeah I had a word with my wife about her bringing her purses into the car too...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 01:12 AM   #18
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

some of my noticeable differences to date...

1. Gentleman's function to adjust the passenger seat is great - especially when you have a 9 year old....

2. Steering feel was better in my 2 prior E65's. My F01 has the sport package, as did my E65's. For whatever reason, it feels a bit light.

3. Single cowel dash looks much better on the F01 vs double cowel on the E65

4. The blind side detection systems is very useful in the F01

5. Run flat tires are not able to be fixed - so it wouldn't have been something I would opt for voluntarily in the F01.

6. Interior design and quality is higher than the E65

7. iDrive update is great

8. Seats are extremely comfortable in the F01.

9. Heated steering wheel warms up much quicker than the E65

10. Adjustable suspension - I can't really tell the difference between Normal and Sport... Sport plus is noticeable.

11. Larger sunroof is a plus

12. Variable adjustable vents is a plus

13. Sport steering wheel could be a tad thicker....

14. Transmission selector move from the steering column back to the center counsel was a good thing.

15. Headlight brightness and automatic highbeam function works well.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #19
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
spot- sport plus is the same as sport but it turns DTC off and keeps DSC on
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #20
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
spot- sport plus is the same as sport but it turns DTC off and keeps DSC on
I think Spot was referring to the 'feel' of the car not what the mode changes are!

I'm pretty sure he knows that the DTC is disabled and DSC stays on in the Sport+ vs Sport mode especially since the iDrive tells you so every single time you enable that mode
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 09:05 AM   #21
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
I think Spot was referring to the 'feel' of the car not what the mode changes are!

I'm pretty sure he knows that the DTC is disabled and DSC stays on in the Sport+ vs Sport mode especially since the iDrive tells you so every single time you enable that mode
Yes, you're correct once again xDrive - thanks!

I hope you're enjoying your car!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 09:44 AM   #22
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotM5 View Post
Yes, you're correct once again xDrive - thanks!

I hope you're enjoying your car!
Thanks Spot.

Absolutely LOVE it... Now that I'm finally past the break in period, I can have some fun... And the car sure delivers
Appreciate 0