BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

06-16-2016, 10:35 AM   #1
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
S Class loaner - my view

I currently have a 2013 750 with MSport and Executive packages. My partner has a 2015 GLK350. The GLK was due for service so I called the dealer to have them pick up the car and drop off a loaner.

The salesperson knows I am a hard core BMW guy, and didn't want to even touch the GLK in the first place.... but I decided to loose the battle and not push for an X3 or X5 and ended up rolling my eyes as my partner insisted on the GLK. So, sales strategy for the dealer was to send me an S550 in hopes that I will go to the dark side as I am contemplating upgrading the 750i. I high jacked the S550 from my partner to give it a chance.

Anyways, long story short... comments on the S550.

Pros:
Comfortable seats, very pampering. The 2016 7's are comparable though.
Smooth Power Delivery
Front end styling
CommandNav settings and options, great graphics

Cons:
Tooooo soft
Sport mode was as soft as my Comfort or comfort +
Command NAV I cannot get used to, find iDrive to be quicker and more responsive
Handling was Ok but car feels much much larger than my 7... overall mass, not length

So, after 24 hours with the S550, I was actually glad to get back in my car.

S550 is a great car if you like a soft floaty massive luxury car. Nothing wrong with that, but not for me.

My F01 is exactly what I enjoy... solid and tight feel, handling is great for a car of its size, comfortable without the sheltered lack of feeling like the S550 had.

Remember, just my opinion, personal preference.... from a hard core OCD car nut.

At the end of the day, I am extremely happy with my F01.... and happier that I will not make an impulse purchase to upgrade my car.
      06-16-2016, 10:59 AM   #2
Wavy
Captain
Rep
Drives: B8

I agree with pretty much everything you said. Even though the W222 has a very cushy ride, it handles better than the F0x on paper. Maybe because the S-class has had air suspension for a while and the 7 is just now getting it.

In order for the S-Class to get even close to being enjoyable, you have to get the AMG trim.

'23 B8, '84 Monte Carlo SS, '23 Escalade, '21 S 580, '20 AMG GT 53 , '18 LS 500, '18 X6, '16 Corvette, '12 750Li, '14 GS 350, '13 ES 350, '10 Maxima, '09 Challenger
Appreciate 0