BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-26-2017, 06:38 AM   #1
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Don't ruin your microfiber detailing clothes. Who knew?

Might have been mentioned here before. but a search did not turn up anything.
even though the article links to a couple of detergents the article makes sense.

Doesn't mean you can't buy from bimmerpost supporting members . . .

Microfibers are not cheap and I don't want to remove the static cling they give me by ruining them washing incorrectly.

And for those that are sure to chime in for their post count towards "General etc" with the inevitable opposite opinion to any article with like "I always just throw mine in the washer, never had an issue" . . . I'll just say right now. "well, good for you"

http://www.autogeek.net/mi101.html

Last edited by expidia; 07-26-2017 at 06:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 09:29 AM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

What's your takeaway from that? I've been using microfiber for twenty plus years, still have some of the first towels I bought. I machine wash, with regular HE soap and dry on low heat, of course with no dryer sheet, like any towel. Works fine, with Jet Black and Sapphire Black cars no less. I'm even the heathen that washes towels used with abrasives with my wash towels. Never had a reason to buy soaps sold from detailing shops, seems like a scam.

Thinking about it, I use two specialty soaps, Woolite Dark for annual jeans washing and SportSuds for bicycling clothes and washing waterproof stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 09:35 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I know when you wash your MF towels... the reason why you do not want to use a fabric softener(fs) is bc the fs have micro particles to make the fabric "soft". But these particles also can scratch your paint when using a mf towel treated with a fs.

Perhaps some of our forum sponsors can help answer your questions: DetailersDomain or Detailed Image or ExclusiveDetail

Dackel
Appreciate 2
      07-26-2017, 10:12 AM   #4
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

$18 bucks I can buy a large pack of new MF towels from Costco, maybe even two packs if they're on sale.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2017, 08:18 PM   #5
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
What's your takeaway from that? I've been using microfiber for twenty plus years, still have some of the first towels I bought. I machine wash, with regular HE soap and dry on low heat, of course with no dryer sheet, like any towel. Works fine, with Jet Black and Sapphire Black cars no less. I'm even the heathen that washes towels used with abrasives with my wash towels. Never had a reason to buy soaps sold from detailing shops, seems like a scam.

Thinking about it, I use two specialty soaps, Woolite Dark for annual jeans washing and SportSuds for bicycling clothes and washing waterproof stuff.
Its because you are such a rebel
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 12:05 PM   #6
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
$18 bucks I can buy a large pack of new MF towels from Costco, maybe even two packs if they're on sale.
I will rewash some of my microfibers and reuse them, but at a certain point, it's safer to me to just buy new ones. The cost on good ones has really gone down, so it's not like they are made of gold. I buy packs of them through Bezos' website, they are very affordable.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 04:11 PM   #7
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

I rewash them, but if they start to look visibly dirty after washing, I throw em out. Wash in washing machine with standard HE laundry detergent. My washing machine has never, and will never, see ANY fabric softener or "scentable" bullshit.

Dry em on whatever heat I feel like in the dryer, and likewise a dryer that has never had any sheets or fabric additives in it.

Think the most recent pack I got was from 2010? Doing pretty well.
Red Bread4463.00
      07-27-2017, 05:37 PM   #8
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
Same here in Australia - I wouldn't call microfiber cloths expensive.

20 Microfiber cloths for $10 AUD at Bunnings
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 05:44 PM   #9
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I use microfiber wash for my car microfiber towels. I just throw my used dirty towels into a bucket. When it fills up, I throw them in the washing machine and run a load with microfiber wash detergent. Then line dry afterward. I find I only do a wash every 2-3 months.
expidia163.00