BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

01-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
scottg61376
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 M Coupe;14 M6;17 X6M;18 X5M

Garage List
USB Software Update - Help

All, I checked to see if my car had an eligible software update which it did, UPD05004. I have formatted my flash drive to FAT-32, stick it in the USB plug in the center console (I have a 2013 740Li X) go to software update > USB and I keep getting the message "Incompatible software on USB device. More info: www.bmw.com/update"

Anyone else experience this, very frustrated at this point.

Current s/w versions:
TN-001.020.022
MN-001.020.022
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottg61376
All, I checked to see if my car had an eligible software update which it did, UPD05004. I have formatted my flash drive to FAT-32, stick it in the USB plug in the center console (I have a 2013 740Li X) go to software update > USB and I keep getting the message "Incompatible software on USB device. More info: www.bmw.com/update"

Anyone else experience this, very frustrated at this point.

Current s/w versions:
TN-001.020.022
MN-001.020.022
Scott,

We will get this to work.

Make sure the update file is on the root directory in the USB device.

Next, double check the file name. It should end in .bin

Also, there are newer firmware out there. So, go back and renter the last seven of your vin.

If it still fails, reset idrive by holding round radio volume control in for 30 seconds while engine on and in park.

Finally, if it still fails let me know the exact filename. Confirm that you did not use FTP to grab the file. If you did use FTP, then I will give you a command to use.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
scottg61376
Private
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Rules...

Tried what you stated and still no mas. The file name is UPD05004.bin; downloaded from www.bmw.com/update (so didn't get it from a FTP) apparently this just came out. I also have the BMW Teleservice update path, however the option is greyed out and won't allow me to select it (see screen shots)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Scott,

Also, there are newer firmware out there. So, go back and renter the last seven of your vin.

If it still fails, reset idrive by holding round radio volume control in for 30 seconds while engine on and in park.

Finally, if it still fails let me know the exact filename. Confirm that you did not use FTP to grab the file. If you did use FTP, then I will give you a command to use.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
Fastbuck
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F01 740d M Sport

Garage List
is there not another USB connection in the glove box for this?

Fastbuck
2012 F01 740d M Sport Alpine White Oyster/ Oyster
2013 E84 X1 1.8d M Sport Alpine White Black/ Black
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
scottg61376
Private
Rep

Garage List
In the 2013s there is only one, if you have Nav it's in the console, no Nav it's in the glove box.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottg61376
Thanks Rules...

Tried what you stated and still no mas. The file name is UPD05004.bin; downloaded from www.bmw.com/update (so didn't get it from a FTP) apparently this just came out. I also have the BMW Teleservice update path, however the option is greyed out and won't allow me to select it (see screen shots)...

Quote:
Scott,

Okay, I will check to see if my filename is all cap and the extension is lower case.

By the looks of it, the file may be corrupted. As you might be aware, after you write to a USB stick, you need to flush the buffers so that all of the data are written out.

In other words, when you save the file on to the USB drive and the operation completes there is no guarantee that all of the data are actually on the USB stick.

Why? Because, the operating system does not actually write to the device immediately. Instead, the OS waits for a routine sync operation to take place. This gives you better overall performance.

So, you can tell the OS to flush all buffers and complete all pending writes on the USB stick by ejecting the USB stick. For Windows, click on the little USB icon in the small tray in The lower right hand corner and then eject the correct device. Maybe you ejected the wrong device.

Next, if you have an apple, click the tiny apple in the upper left hand area of your screen. Then select eject or unmount removable media.

In all cases, if you can't eject in Windows or Apple, just select "shutdown" option. Both OS will flush all pending writes to all devices, including USB just before shutting down.

In any event, delete the file on the USB stick and try to download again. Also, try a different USB stick.

The first thing BMW does before installing a firmware update is to compute a checksum. If the checksums don't match, you will get an error similar to what you have. There is a self check routine on the .bin file. Again, it sounds like your file is corrupted. So please retry and be sure to properly "eject" the USB stick.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
scottg61376
Private
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the additional suggestions. At this point i have downloaded the file at least 15 times, and have tried 4 different flash drives, all with the same results. I do have a Mac but also have a Win VM, and have tried using both, and always make sure to properly eject before pulling the flash drive.

I even took the car by the dealer today and the shop foreman tried using his own flash drive, he couldn't get it updated either, however his error message was different...something to the effect of "operation can not be completed at this time"

I too think they are having issues with the file and it likely being corrupt. Would love to find someone who has successfully downloaded this version and software you could just email me the file (if they know it is working).

Quote:
Okay, I will check to see if my filename is all cap and the extension is lower case.

By the looks of it, the file may be corrupted. As you might be aware, after you write to a USB stick, you need to flush the buffers so that all of the data are written out.

In other words, when you save the file on to the USB drive and the operation completes there is no guarantee that all of the data are actually on the USB stick.

Why? Because, the operating system does not actually write to the device immediately. Instead, the OS waits for a routine sync operation to take place. This gives you better overall performance.

So, you can tell the OS to flush all buffers and complete all pending writes on the USB stick by ejecting the USB stick. For Windows, click on the little USB icon in the small tray in The lower right hand corner and then eject the correct device. Maybe you ejected the wrong device.

Next, if you have an apple, click the tiny apple in the upper left hand area of your screen. Then select eject or unmount removable media.

In all cases, if you can't eject in Windows or Apple, just select "shutdown" option. Both OS will flush all pending writes to all devices, including USB just before shutting down.

In any event, delete the file on the USB stick and try to download again. Also, try a different USB stick.

The first thing BMW does before installing a firmware update is to compute a checksum. If the checksums don't match, you will get an error similar to what you have. There is a self check routine on the .bin file. Again, it sounds like your file is corrupted. So please retry and be sure to properly "eject" the USB stick.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
X5MC_LI
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

Can anyone let me know why the website doesn't accept my last 7 of VIN?

Thx guys
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #9
scottg61376
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_BAD_F01 View Post
Can anyone let me know why the website doesn't accept my last 7 of VIN?

Thx guys
Looks like they must be having issues. None of my 3 VINs work either.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
scottg61376
Private
Rep

Garage List
Has anyone successfully applied this update yet?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 05:42 AM   #11
Nexstar2011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i Dravit/Mocca

Just as an FYI, I have the exact same issue in my F31 (including same current software version). Took it to the dealer today, who also couldn't upgrade it with their own keys. He was even more confused when, on interrogating the key through their systems, some fields he was expecting to see populated (Integration Levels??) were all blank - unlike another car he showed me. He now needs to escalate to BMW direct - will update when I hear more.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 05:53 AM   #12
scottg61376
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexstar2011 View Post
Just as an FYI, I have the exact same issue in my F31 (including same current software version). Took it to the dealer today, who also couldn't upgrade it with their own keys. He was even more confused when, on interrogating the key through their systems, some fields he was expecting to see populated (Integration Levels??) were all blank - unlike another car he showed me. He now needs to escalate to BMW direct - will update when I hear more.
Great, will be interesting to see what he hears from BMW-NA.
Appreciate 0